FWDLOL!

underscore

k.beaty":2sh9fxwn said:
Plus, it's kind of fun going out and spanking people with a Camry motor... :lol:

Do the Camry V6 swap and you'll be spanking even more people, and still on a Camry motor ;)

klue

underscore":2ygxvk78 said:
k.beaty":2ygxvk78 said:
Plus, it's kind of fun going out and spanking people with a Camry motor... :lol:

Do the Camry V6 swap and you'll be spanking even more people, and still on a Camry motor ;)

I second this notion, 2gr FTW

k.beaty

CMS-GT4":3rnjmsj7 said:
I look forward to see how things go next season.

Thank's I'm very excited as well.

I actually just received an email from Spec Clutch and they will be supporting my program for 2014. They will be supplying me with one of their lightweight aluminum flywheels, and a stage 3 clutch kit. Hopefully the lightened flywheel helps out the poor old 5SFE a little bit.

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with my build progress building up to the racing season, as well as how things go throughout the season. If anyone is interested in more frequent updates, I keep my Instagram account fairly up to date. Feel free to follow along! @kbt666

New Guy

That lightweight flywheel will help a ton. I've got a 5S in my Camry All-Trac and the Fidanza I installed made a world of difference.

k.beaty

New Guy":19661eps said:
That lightweight flywheel will help a ton. I've got a 5S in my Camry All-Trac and the Fidanza I installed made a world of difference.

That's good to hear! I'm hoping to notice a significant difference. I've got the 4.176 final drive in my car, so it should rev up very quickly.

CMS-GT4

I was actually going to mention your final drive. Since you have a narrow box, you may consider looking for a rav4 final drive and finding out if you can fit that. That could make up for your lack of power especially if your not having to race over 100mph.

k.beaty

CMS-GT4":3143gu9v said:
I was actually going to mention your final drive. Since you have a narrow box, you may consider looking for a rav4 final drive and finding out if you can fit that. That could make up for your lack of power especially if your not having to race over 100mph.

Hmm,

That's interesting. What is the Rav4 FD? Does it bolt into an S series transmission?

CMS-GT4

There are a few. I think there was a 4.6 in the 9x-00 box. I posted all the ratios in the final drive thread. I also recently posted an article on wide boxes vs narrow boxes. The gtfour boxes are wide and can't use rav4 parts but there is a good chance you can use rav4 bits. I would fist find the FD and then look into the math to see if the ratios are even compatible. If so, I imagine it would be like the alltrac final drive swaps. You just need the three parts from the box, and swap them. Worst case you might find a whole rav4 box at a yard with the ratio you want cheaper than all the work.

phattyduck

CMS-GT4":139i0yiw said:
There are a few. I think there was a 4.6 in the 9x-00 box. I posted all the ratios in the final drive thread. I also recently posted an article on wide boxes vs narrow boxes. The gtfour boxes are wide and can't use rav4 parts but there is a good chance you can use rav4 bits. I would fist find the FD and then look into the math to see if the ratios are even compatible. If so, I imagine it would be like the alltrac final drive swaps. You just need the three parts from the box, and swap them. Worst case you might find a whole rav4 box at a yard with the ratio you want cheaper than all the work.
My understanding is that the Rav4 (even FWD) used an E-series box - am I wrong there?

-Charlie

CMS-GT4

The rav4 had a 3fse and a 3sge. I looked at one FD and it looks like it could be 4.9. There are quite a few rav4 fds so its worth looking into at least.

k.beaty

UPDATE!!!

The car is at Ottawa Auto Body, in Hamilton and they've made great progress on it. I'm very excited to get the car home and start re-assembling everything, as well as installing all of the new stuff that I have to put on. I will update that as I'm installing everything. But for now, some progress pictures...

Here is the car the night before it left for a trip to the body shop. I left the taillights and bumper on so that the guys at the body shop could see exactly how everything needed to be pulled back.

Pulling everything straight. The damage was strictly cosmetic, none of the suspension mounting points were moved. Just needed a little tug to get everything lining up nicely.

Then came the annoying, but rewarding part. Hammer and dolling the panels as smooth as possible. Every panel on the car was wrinkled/dented, so they had a lot of work to do. Although it may look like a lot of Bondo, it is a VERY thin layer just to smooth everything out. Apparently just about any car that gets painted needs some Bondo, it is a 24 year old car after all.

Here is how the car currently sits. It's all primed and ready for sanding and final touch ups before it rolls into the paint booth for paint. It has been sitting for a day or so now as is, and the guys at the body shop want to let it sit for the weekend before they begin sanding the primer to ensure that it is good and dry. I'm VERY excited to see the final product and will post up as soon it has been painted. But is is a breath of fresh air to see the car repaired and all one colour, even if it is just primer!

Cuttyman9

Do note 1990-1991 fwd celica's use thinner and smaller diameter rotors at 255 vs 1992-1993 fwd which use thicker and the 275 rotor which mimics that of an alltrac. I cant verify the ST's of 92/93 but I know GT/GTS do.

That header is gorgeous, wish people around here could make something like that for all 5s people. That thing is legit.