Project IG-88 (91AT) **PICS**

celica_gtx

So finally after *8 years of owning my half-trac i finally got my hands on a 91 All-Trac!

Found it with a blown HG straight body completely stock minus intake.
talking to the guy and working my way around the car inspecting the usual
car had to be jumped and still ran but died once i kicked on the lights so this was helping me out with the talk down he was askin 1300

kept gettin info on the car and he told me it was salvaged! :( i knew it was to good to be true. i was like see u later at that point
but i asked for the vin n sat on it for night. and idk if he could read but it was a restored salvaged title..

reading more into the car it was stolen off the dealers lot when it was brand new! car was recovered and fixed by dealer.
but any vehicle in AZ that is stolen will be branded as such. so i was like i can live with that..

showed up again and talked this guy down bc i knew he wanted it gone and he didnt know truly what he had..
gave him all my concerns bc i could drive it.
i paid $650 for this.

once i got it home i got her on the road and drivable n everything works prefect!

so I am pulling the motor outta my half track and put it in the alltrac bc its already built w just over 2000miles on it! and rebuild the other to stock spec n sell my half trac.

motor build
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44973

my swap of halftrac
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45039

i got the motor out of my alltrac

cleaning the eng bay

took awhile

trans before sending it out to rebuild it.. finished rebuild just prepin to paint it

preping for pulling the halftrac mtr..just slowly chipping away at it..

more to come soon! been working on this for about 3 months now, just been to busy to post.. stay tuned!

looks like we are walking the same path!!! i jus picked up my first alltrac as well, aside from my built 4gen swapped celica gts with caldina fwd trans. i want to swap everything over as well but its gonna be too much work. keep up the good work!! ill be keeping a eye on ur build

Tecker185

I too went down the same road but my car was sitting for 7 years in a barn. I had to strip my half trac to make it drivable.

Weird thing is mines black and has the same mileage.

88gt4DE

Congrats and nice work. Funny how that stuff that goes on at the dealer can mess so much up down the road. Its wasn't slammed into anything so screw it. Great price for that car , but then again needed engine and paint work sooo ... I think you scored there ....

celica_gtx

Tecker184":26fcfhst said:
I too went down the same road but my car was sitting for 7 years in a barn. I had to strip my half trac to make it drivable.

Weird thing is mines black and has the same mileage.

Lol thats funny. With some stuff from my alltrac and $20 at the junk yard i got most of all the lil things missing

88gt4DE":26fcfhst said:
Congrats and nice work. Funny how that stuff that goes on at the dealer can mess so much up down the road. Its wasn't slammed into anything so screw it. Great price for that car , but then again needed engine and paint work sooo ... I think you scored there ....

Thanks dude yea that was my limit. I have never been to big on paint anyways.never had a nice paint job. I like the all go no show aspect but ima wet sand the rough spots sometime n start w a plastic dip. Thinking bout a matte black..

celica_gtx

alright so im working in pulling my half-trac motor now about halfway done with that. so life is looking like this

got some goodies, also have a Cobra heat exchanger on its way. and plan on installing my apexi AVCR in her too.

Xiii solid motor mounts.. ill give my review once im driving!
i had a shop put them in for me. he drill bit grinded it out forgot the name of it.
got the metal thin in one spot and pressed it out.

i pulled off the intake mani off the bad motor to pull out the rest off the wiring harness and found this.
looks like valve seals r done in 2-3-4. No 1 was fairly clean. compression was at 120 across except No 1 was at 13x.
cant remember either way new STD rings r going back in. just gunna do a stock spec build.

No1 on right

runners

and for some reason it smelled BAD!! smelt like burnt oil fermenting in trash and someone took a dump on it
then it fermented...u get the idea..

so i wanted to do some cleaning to the wiring harness. about 1/3 the way done w it.
ripped of all the old tape n re-wrapping it wiping it all down.
found this which had me guessing what the hell?
didnt know if this is factory or some one touched it?
referring to the Brown wire
not the best pic but it was pressed in it seemed.
i toughed on it and it was in there solid..
did a single wrap around its self in tucked it back in.

i have a laundry list of things to do. ill keep it updated.

MWP

celica_gtx":15kvhf3d said:
found this which had me guessing what the hell?
didnt know if this is factory or some one touched it?
referring to the Brown wire
not the best pic but it was pressed in it seemed.
i toughed on it and it was in there solid..

Its a shielded VR sensor wire. Thats how it should be.

celica_gtx

got the motor out and started swapping some parts back and forth.

rebuilt both PS pumps leaking all over the place.
cleaning and re wrapping wiring harness is about 50% done.
waiting on my exhaust mani to come back from being ceramic coating.
been cleaning all bolts up
trying to source a good DP or ima slap my gutted cat on so i can save some money n not have to get full exhaust right away.

debating on painting the trans...if i do i want it to be stock alum/silver color but its gunna attract everything. not to sure on what paint to use.
ive seen the POR15 that CS used but was black.. and what are other paints i could use that will hold up good esp to harsh cleaners like brake clean.?

i also picked up a eng leveler made pulling the eng by ur self a breeze. the hardest part of this was taking the hood off by myself!

i pulled it w trans.

plenty more to do! ill keep up

celica_gtx

Just want to make sure before I swap stuff.

But I can swap my JDM ecu n put it on my US alltrac and US eng harness?

Before I burn sumthing up.

But I got the motor in. I have to pull out n replace one of the shifter cables. Its 6" longer than the other doesn't clip in correctly. pain in the ass but ive done it before.

Solid motor mounts made it easier than ever to put in an line up. I have to drop the rear one bc the threads are jacked up on one bolt hole n I dont wanna half ass it.

Still waiting for my exhaust mani to come back from ceramic coating.
gettin all the lil things done almost there. :D

CSAlltrac

That is an awesome score Nick! I knew you picked up a trac but you did not tell me for how much. It looks nice and unmolested, full interior and even has the parcel tray. Very good starting point for you. For your trans., dont quote me on this but I want to say there was a silver color option when I bought my POR15. If you go that route be sure to get the metal prep too. Its an acid bath that leaves an etch for the material to bite into, without it the durability falls a ton. You can pick it up at an automotive paint supply store. Keep those updates coming

celica_gtx

Nvm found it digging deep. Just sounds like ima be stuck w the check eng light on my half trac since I spliced the jdm harness to the body ill have for egr plugs. Oh well .

celica_gtx

Lol yea im glad I got it esp for the price! In a way it is unmolested but I think the car started having motor issues the last 2 owners n none of them knew what they where doin! Half assed everything and was just lazy.
Ive had to do quite a bit of lil things here and there on it and put the correct bolts here n tjere. Stuff missing. But it all there.

She is gunna be a solid car if ina couple of weeks!

celica_gtx

like i said motor is in. starting to get it back all together.

spent most of my time pullin out both cars center dash to pull out my AT shifter cable on my swapd GT to replace it w the correct one on the new AT.
pain in the ass but got it done.
here is a comparison of shifter cables.

AT top is 46 3/4"
90 GT 48"
unknown cable bottom 52 1/2"
these are all lower cables.

so its possible u can use st184 cables for swaps with E153 or caldina but this it where u will have problems and why i have horrible shifts . is where u secure it to the trans.
to much free space in the unknown and the GT. the AT fits just right as it should! U might be able to the braket plate from the s54 trans and keep your 184 cables might work out thats on someone to find out unless if u have a st184 trans bracket ur willing to send me ill test fit it on my caldina trans. with my 184 cables i have laying around..or u could shim the crap out of it.

AT on bottom 184 in the middle

also had problems with the shifter cable hitting the body at the shifter itself this was also cleared up.
it was such a large bend behind the eng it was ridiculous how long that cable was.

thought this was cool. found this of a 198x celica 3gen cleaned it up and painted it. nice looking oil cap now. ima sucker for stuff like this.

gunna try to button up all the drive train vac lines tomar.
and thurs my exhaust mani should be done. thats all ill be waiting for to get this thing running. maybe next weekend i can drive it! 8)

phattyduck

celica_gtx":2eep4em4 said:
so its possible u can use st184 cables for swaps with E153 or caldina but this it where u will have problems and why i have horrible shifts . is where u secure it to the trans.
to much free space in the unknown and the GT. the AT fits just right as it should! U might be able to the braket plate from the s54 trans and keep your 184 cables might work out thats on someone to find out unless if u have a st184 trans bracket ur willing to send me ill test fit it on my caldina trans. with my 184 cables i have laying around..or u could shim the crap out of it.

AT on bottom 184 in the middle

also had problems with the shifter cable hitting the body at the shifter itself this was also cleared up.
it was such a large bend behind the eng it was ridiculous how long that cable was.
You use a large washer as a spacer to hold the shift cable housing tight to the stamped sheet metal E-series transmission. The S-series transmission (the stock one from your Celica) is cast into the housing, so it is thicker aluminum.

There is an issue with both the length of the cable housing and the cable itself. They both need to match to get the neutral position of the shifter correct (so that the centering springs there work with the centering springs of the transmission). In your case, if you just use Alltrac cables with a E-series transmission, you will be fine. (I had to modify some things for my Camry Alltrac setup...)

-Charlie

celica_gtx

got my exhaust mani back from getting ceramic coating inside and out. turned out nice!

and she is running and driving now! i need to get the exhaust done just running out my DP. the jdm and us dp are different apparently
the do not line up properly..
i need figure out if i have a vacuum leak of something crossed. idles rough cold then will bog if i dont keep on the throttle a lil.
but once it is warm it idles fine.. so im a lil lost there. timing is set..

the solid motor mounts are a strange feeling! not to have/ feel it move around while your driving.
cant give a solid review on interior noise since the car is so loud. so a full review to come.

needs a good washing and add the rest of the lil things
over the next couple of weekends ill add my WTA setup

need to figure out how to mount the heat exchanger then wire up the pump
and wire up my apexi avcr.
any other out there with it? could use some advice w the avcr

celica_gtx

Alright here's my review of xiiimotorsports solid mtr mounts.

I put in all 4 and they bolted up smooth n easier than usual! That motor does not move at all! But as for vibration is was up there. Tolerable but the looser interior parts u can hear moving around. But what killed it for me was the tone it put out.. was a deep bass sound once rpms got up and cruiseing on the freeway.if ur not dd this it perfect for u.

So I took out the east and west mounts n replaced them w the oem rubber and left the N/S solids in as those are the main torque loads. And man what a difference! Hardly noticeable!! The motor is still planted when reving not even a twitch! No loud tone crusing around. May pick up a lil and i mean lil vibration but im so use to driving old stuff it un noticeable. I HIGHLY recommend installing the N/S mtr mounts.

Hope this helps out anyone. Haven't seen anyone else talk about them..

But w some crappy luck I found a oil leak start! Coming out of the timing cover! Ill post a pick later. Hopefully someone can help point in the right direction. Guessing the oil pump seal area. Gunna wait awhile to pull it all apart and inspect it..

celica_gtx

ok here is the pic of the oil leak..this is after i cleaned the whole area and ran it for a couple of minuets. lost about a quart in 1-2weeks.
this is back towards PS pump if u cant tell by the pic

so im gunna pull the timing ass. cover to get a better look. :cry:

and this is how she sits now. was a good sale going on over memorial day weekend so y not. old tires were miss matched n patchy.

gunna go for a 20mm spacer in the rear and get coilovers in the future. and paint is last.

celica_gtx

been a lil but i have been tracing down oil leaks and id seal one just for another to start leaking a week later so heres a lil bit of an update.

slapped on 25MM wheel spacers. picked them up at good price

plenty of pics of those pics floating around..

speed sensor took a dump, in the process of taking it apart found out it was the cable. got a new one from toyota. was only $15!

sold of my of my 205WTA for a 185.

after a lil bit of love..

and ive always wanted to try this the UV leak detecter so i can tackle everything at once.. did this during the middle of the day, and crawled underneath the car and it showed up pretty good! pretty cool to actually watch it flow. it blended in and flew with the gasket it was hard to tell where the leak was coming from.

so fixing that is my weekend project..
also sen my avcr to get warrantied work and it came back looking amazing..
ill post next time..they have awesome customer service!