ST185 engine swap(ST205) no power on boost.

lordvampire

Hi,

I did engine swap on my st185. Mounted st205 engine +ECU. Everything seems to be working. I havent done vacuum and WTA radiator jet. Did a short trip around a block and car has no power... idle works good, idle power is good also, but in boost no real power comes. I see boost gage go quickly up (0,5bar) , but no power gain.

What would be most likely problem? Where to start?

1) air/fuel ratio?
2) Timing?
3) lambda sensor gone bad?
4) vacuum could do something?

I have no real good idea, but to but install wideband lambda sensor based air/fuel meter first.

quieter

check your coupler from intercooler to intake manifold and yeah could be vaccum as well, was it a front clip that you bought or just the engine? maybe a sensor is missing?

lordvampire

it was only engine with wiring and ecu. aftermarket boost gauge. although factory boost gauge didnt show. ok i look vacuum and missing sensor. thanks.

lordvampire

Ok I did quick check.

timing is right. 10 degrees and turns sooner higher rmp. So this can be left aside right now.

I found couple things:

mysterious connector:

What that can be?
01063570252656e.jpg

new motor has two lambda, one has only connected. The otherone is needed? : )

This one is connected:
0106357029c914a.jpg

this one(lower) is not:
01063570275782c.jpg

If thats not it, I still belive, I have some sensor missing, maybe under the intake manifold. I didnt have that much time today.

Pipedreams

If you haven't wired in the intercoolerpump you will have the check engine light on and power is reduced.
The loose connector looks like the one for the boost solenoid, If it's blue? Hard to say from the picture.
That is an aftermarket downpipe that has an extra lambda bung. So the lower sensor is just used as a Plug. You could get a proper Plug for it. The thread size is m18x1,5

lordvampire

thanks for replay ... second lambda can be left aside right now too. (Y)
-loose connector is black : )

I check some wiring (checking intercoolerpump wiring) and see what is below intake manifold (Vacuum and)... And I´II update my findings : )

Pipedreams

Yes, the second lambda has no function. They just used a lambda as plug.
I´m on my computer now and had a look at the picture and saw that is has 3 pins. That is for the speed sensor on the st205 transmission so that is not used on your car as it has a cable to the speedometer.

lordvampire

Thanks guys, got it running. Sorted out diagnostic wires pins(w from ecu) and found code 41 (throttle position sensor). Moved around plug and its running now. Timing wasnt also in place thanks diagnostic wires. I have still work to do, but test drive was not so bad for old stock car : ). 0,6..7Bar and over 200kw for sure. Not 300kw understood, but still nice : ). Thanks again.

phattyduck

The plug you are calling the 'second lambda' is not - it is a cat temp sensor. Leave it unplugged. In the ST205, it is only there to light a warning light on the dash.

-Charlie