Adjustable Suspension Link for ST185

warracer

Alright, so finally I finished my semester. So now I can work on some of my personal project, here's the first one;

Ill produce adjustable suspension link for my car. I got some spare suspension link so I can get precise measurement. Here's what I came up with:

**Note I still need to add the 2 jam nut to prevent possible loosening of the turnbuckle.
**** This is not the final form, I still need to work on this CAD model but you get the idea

QYmJRoCl.jpg

And here's a render just to be fancy:
MACqv1wl.jpg

Im still unsure about which material to use, obviously the turnbuckle will be steel, I used McMaster Part No. 8420K22.
For the link, im still unsure, it'll either be some 7075 aluminum (aircraft grade) or some 4130 steel (AKA chromoly).

warracer

I forgive you haha

But seriously tough, it simply for... adjustability :p

These are a must if you really want to fine tune your suspension setup, widen the track of the car, add rigidity and you could now use more complex alignement setup.
Obviously this is not for everyone, this is mostly for guys who want no compromise on their suspension setup and wants to really adjust it to their driving style. If your car is mostly street driven, you won't notice/get much out of these.

warracer

Also, this prevents using camber bolts.
In my case this is the main reason why I want to make these. When I was driving the car at high speed in the snow, a slight bump snapped the left side camber bolt (everything was torqued to spec with a calibrated torque wrench).

Also, I broke a stock toe control arm last winter, I noticed that these don't age very well. The extreme cold didn't helped either but having to drive the car with a broken toe control link for 2km convinced me that for my purpose new better ones would be justified.

I also noticed rust in the broken link. These weaken overtime and break on impact.
The dealer wanted 215$ for a new one, for that price I can make 2 adjustable control arm made out of much better material.

I was just talking about someone like you in a group buy thread. Count me in for a set at 205 length. I can get you measurements if you need I have them out right now. And yes they do rust these ones were pretty bad. I was going to post and say camber adjustment was great reason for these. Also with these you could eliminate the stock toe adjustment parts if you wanted because you can do that with them also. Some guys with coilovers with adjustable camber still have no been able to get the desired numbers. I also would like to avoid the camber bolts I was thinking about using as well. I have a stock suspension with lowering springs and I would love to get my camber where my brand new tires wont wear all un-even this time.

warracer

Im using ST205 arm as a model right now :)

But I have no clue if ill be able to sell these, mainly because im still in college. Ill try my best to do a set for my car, if the results please me, Ill rework the design. Because let's face it, these link end are oddly shapped and would cost alot to fabricate, Ill try to look into spherical bearing to simplify the design to make it a more ''off the shelf option'' but also to be more cost-effective. This is still in the concept phase, its pretty far from a prototype as we speak.

warracer

Mafix":15f9jlvh said:
if you are going to do all this, you may as well use a heim joint and aluminum rod.

Yes, this is exactly what ill be doing, I thought spherical bearings we're heim joint haha.
My english still needs some work :p