Side feed intake w/WTA IC

ST165Sleeper

Anyone have an idea on how difficult it would be to switch to a side feed intake and still run a WTA ic. I want keep the wolf in sheep's clothing theme if at all possible. This of course would be for the 165.

RedCelicaTRD

I've thought about doing this with an ST205 core. Would need to cutoff and weld shut the current outlet, cut open a new outlet, and then weld on the required pipe to connect to the side feed. However, I'm not sure how well the new setup would work. The flow would no longer be "across" the internal heat exchanger so there might be some performance loss, but only real way to find out is to test it.

underscore

I thought the center feed was only an issue on higher power builds? I've heard of somebody settings up their EMS to run extra fuel to 3 to cancel out the lean issue, I think you would need individual EGT probes on each cylinder tho.

zero06

I'm doing it on my car, but mines a 185. I have an rmr side feed and I'm doing a custom manifold moving the turbo farther to the drivers side. This will make the w2a IC more feasible and there will only be 1 90 degree turn after the turbo. I am also doing this to retain AC.

I am using a aftermarket IC core and fabbing my own piping, I don't like the idea of those barrel style IC's I feel the exchange rate would be insufficient

I'll post a picture when I have it done

MrMcQuacker

People only switch to side feed because they are going front mount. If you want to stick with the factory wta set up just stay with it. You don't have to worry about that when you are worrying about leaning out cylinder 3. That is your fuel rails problem. Go with a top feed fuel injection which will also aid you a better free flowing rail. They're are tons of people running Lots of AWHP using the stock intake and exhaust manifold. Just my 0.2 :)

psipwrd

I was looking at the frozen boost and pwr WTA intercooler cores. I wanted to do something similar but I wouldn't route the cold pipe over the exhaust manifold. I also thought about getting a bigger core and mounting it where the battery is, and relocate the battery to the trunk...

Mafix

this has been done many times. most people use a barrel style intercooler where the air filter normally sits.