500-600 ftlbs clutch dilemma

zero06

I am currently turning the point in my build where everything is starting to be put back together. I am sending my internals and block out for machining and balance soon and I'd like to get my flywheel /clutch balanced with my rotating assembly.

I am on the borderline of needing a twin disk clutch vs a 6 puck unsprung .

badnews let me drive his clutch masters twin disk and I was able to get it to slip slightly after quite a few tries, but I am hearing that severely compromises the twin disk life.

my question is has anyone DD a 6 puck unsprung? The car is strictly a leisure car but I would like to drive it fairly often. So some input as to reliability/drive ability with a heavy pressure plate.
Or if there's a high power clutch you'd like to rave about do it here.

Overtriped

Can't tell you much about drivability, but I put an ACT unsprung 6 puck disk, heavy duty pressure plate in with a TODA 9.5lb flywheel.. I heard it will be not very slip able, more On/off
Hope I get her running soon, I'll report back then. :)

Pipedreams

I had a 6puck unsprung ACT HD clutch in a dd st185 a few years back. It doesn't allow much slip but you really shouldn't drive it like that either as it will wear pretty fast. No problem getting used to but everyone who ever borrowed it stalled it :)

klue

why are we trying to slip the clutch anyway?

any metal face disk is going to engage like on/off as your describing. If you want something smoother you need kevlar or carbon discs.

I've driven a ton of clutches on all types of cars one thing about metal discs (copper,sintered iron) is they grab. Only when cold you might get a bit of slip. saying that unless your a total noob driver you should be able to drive it just fine. After all its really only conserdable moving off in first.

msanders2

Do not get a Clutchmasters stage 4 six puck. Horrible feeling clutch, came apart in less then 5000 miles. I can't comment on a twin disk, my brother has a very nice one and I'm eager to try it out.

lumbercis

^Weird. Those had good reviews over on mr2oc for drivabilility. Never driven one myself.

If I was going to get a 6 puck for street driving I'd get an Exedy 6puck sprung disk. I had the 4 puck version and it was reliable but a little too harsh for city driving. Never had a single problem with any Exedy products.

ALLensTRAC

At that torque level I wouldn't look at any single disk clutches anyways. That puts you quite high in power and any singles that can handle it will be terrible for street duty.

That being said I would recommend the Competition Twin disk or the Spec Twin disk. I know the Spec single has an earned reputation for catastrophic failure but I've personally watched 2 friends break into the 10's on their Spec twins (k swapped turbo EG and R33 GTR) and then drive them home. The Competition is my choice for when my second engine is built. It seems to get good reviews on MR2OC both for torque capacity and street ability.

The big question you want to ask yourself is how many times you want to do a clutch job on an Alltrac? Cuz it will be plenty compared to a twin disk. Have you considered the Carbon Exedy or RPS Carbon twins? They're pricey but they drive so nice in MKIV Supra's!!!

Mafix

no singe disk will last at those tq levels.
if you can afford a build that makes this much power then you can afford a real twin disk.

zero06

9DF5E878-DF5C-49F6-8F07-C8B7853375BC_zpsru872nsz.jpg

After driving BadNew5's car I made up my mind