St165 gen4 3sgte project.

msanders2

Hey guys! I don't post too much on here, not too many people do. But I bought my second Alltrac (st165 from Gt4_dred and told him I would start a build tread) Karl is a super nice legit dude who sold me this Alltrac for a steal! This build will be kinda slow though as in own 3 other Celicas, Two 77 Celica Liftbacks, a St185 and the newly acquired St165. This ones getting a gen4 3sgte.

Here I am loading it up on the trailer to take it to the house. The car is low mileage but has been sitting for 5 years so it's a little rough. But Gt4_dred did everything right when he pulled the motor and tranny.

The car is black with burgundy interior, the previous owner painted over the red with black and it don't look the best. If anyone has good condition burgandy interior for sale PM me!

The engine actually arrived before I picked up the car, I used Aln Jdm Auto and I would highly recommend them to anyone. The guy I talked to on the phone jumped through hoops to get me this motor because he was out of stock at the time. The only thing is the ecu didn't get shipped with it. I'm going to call him tomorrow and try to find out what's going on, I'm fairly confident he will make it right!

And because I haven't really posted many pictures of my 185 here it is a few days after I got it 6 years ago

And the stroker motor I built for it

That's it for now, stay tuned for more updates.

msanders2

Talked to the guy at Aln Jdm Auto and he said they will send out my ECU! I would highly recommend them to anyone, very professional and straight forward. A pleasure to deal with.

ive always loved that color on your st185.... im glad the 165 is in good hands.. plus, I have a 4th gen in my st184 and love it to hell.. you will too especially with the reliability of that motor and power it puts out!! ill be keepin an eye out for this thread..

UtahSleeper

Good luck and document everything!!! I have been considering this motor also for my 165 (since any motor choice is on hold cause of money). Seems like a great choice with my minimal goals and plans for my trac.

msanders2

Thanks guys. I'm gonna document as much as possible. The wiring will get sent to Mr220v because I hate doing wiring. Im going to do the Timing belt, water pump and all the seals before it goes in the car. It may be a slow build because I have 3 other celicas at the moment. One that I'm prepping to sale so I have funds for this guy. I'm hoping to have it ready before we do the All Trac meet for the Tail of the Dragon.

88gt4DE

Wow , that's alot of Celicas to keep up with. Where are you located ? I'm guessing the East if yer talking about hitting the Dragon ...

msanders2

I'm out in GA. Yeah man I got my hands full right now. I need to sell one. Probably the Orange 77 lift back I just built the motor on. It's hard to stay focused on one project when you have so many lol.

msanders2

Got my ecu today. It is rough. Looks like someone stepped on it, i dunno. The cover was caved in so I took it off and inspected it. The board is bent but it's not cracked or broken. None of the soldering looked broke. I hope it works! It's gonna be at least a month before I can tell.

This picture honestly doesn't do it justice. Should have taken one from the side. The brackets are all bent too. Wtf are these people thinking. I would have never sent anything out of my shop looking like that.

msanders2

Ordered a couple of parts today from Amayama, timing belt and valve cover gaskets. Other parts will be ordered after my vacation next week, God willing I have any money left. Up next on the list is wheel bearings, water pump, seals, steering rack boots, plugs, walbro 255, gen2 clutch, and mr220v harness. She should be running after that. I need to go through the boxes I got and inventory.

88gt4DE

msanders2":2j8sayx5 said:
I'm out in GA. Yeah man I got my hands full right now. I need to sell one. Probably the Orange 77 lift back I just built the motor on. It's hard to stay focused on one project when you have so many lol.

GA ... kewl in the South ... my kids are close to ya over in AL ... Dewd that ECU ... I would have been :x

msanders2

I was pretty heated. Everything looked ok inside so I think It will be fine. I wouldn't have sent anything out of our shop looking like that.

underscore

If the board inside the case is bent I'd ask for a replacement, even if everything looks okay all it takes is one damaged trace inside the board to make it junk. If you do keep it I would make sure that the importer knows about the damaged board and that you won't be able to test it for a while, if they aren't willing to guarantee it when you're able to test it I'd definitely ask for a new one right away.

msanders2

I will have to call him and ask. I think it's fine though. I need to find someone close with a 215 swap and test it out.

msanders2

Got some goodies in the mail while on vacation in Fla. Had my self talked into going ahead and buying the rest of the stuff I need wiring harness/fuel pump/clutch while on vacation. Then I looked at my bank account :doh:

Fresh off the boat.

Didn't like the tinted corners on it. I think I like these OEM better then the euro ones too.