Piston and rod bearing questions(2nd gen 3sgte)

Interwhat

I picked up an as told 2nd gen 3sgte. I've got it stripped down to block and crank. From the looks of it, the bearings appear good. I'm a tech at Audi and I see a lot of 2.0t bearings and I would compare mine similarly. Coating worn a little on each bearing, but no gouges, cuts or missing metal, I would call it normal. I'm not going to touch the main bearings, doesn't seem necessary. As for the pistons, there's again, a little wear on the skirts, perpendicular to the wrist pins, so I'm going to replace the rings.

Seeing as how I'm this far in, I think it makes sense to put bearings in it. I'll reply with a photo to see what you guys think, if I can reuse them. But of course only if it doesn't require an outside shop, it's not in my budget to do so, and I'm only looking for 300 hp or so(it's going in an 89 corolla all trac wagon). Is this possible to identify and source rod bearings? Toyota maybe? What about sourcing parts without the vin?

Pistons- I thought about replacing with stock, aftermarket and then larger. The latter two are out of my price range, and also not needed for my application. And so far, these pistons are I. Good shape and cleaning up good, so I see nothing wrong with re ringing. My questions: can these be sourced from Toyota? Are they specific to the piston? Do I need to manually set ring gap?

Anything else I should look at?

Two other random questions: since this is a gen 2 engine? What chassis code do I look at for looking for parts? St185?

I have the oil pump off, and I'm going to replace both it and the water pump, just to cover my bases- should I look into upgrading or should it be ok for daily use and some spirited driving?

Oh! Also I need a complete gasket kit. Please recommend! Thanks folks!

Interwhat

Pics.

Also, since the rods use a nut on a stud, do you replace anything to install? I'm assuming they're not torque to yield.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 2,743
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 2,743
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 2,743

brutekiller787

Would you put dirty underwear on after a shower?

Full gasket set get the cosmetic upper and lower, comes with an mls head gasket. Apr head studs while your in there.

St185 or sw20 mr2 are the chassis codes. EBay has npr ring sets which are really good. All the oil pumps on EBay are 98 spec 5sfe oil pumps

anothergt4

Only use oem Toyota gasket sets, I used a cometic set and the only thing that does not leak is the head gasket lol, I would go with total seal rings you can order them based on the 3sgte. I'm not joking on the gaskets though the rear main leaked after 5k the oil pump gasket leaked after around 4k and the spark plug tube gaskets never did seal. Luckily ive got a bulletproof block that needs to be put in, it's a perfect time to replace all gaskets again. As far as the oil pump goes it's not really needed to upgrade until about 400ho from what I have read. I used king bearings on my rebuild with no issues. They are reasonable and available through summitracing.

anothergt4

underscore":282z3cob said:
If you're replacing the oil pump anyways the 98+ 5SFE pump is a bolt on upgrade.
If I'm not mistaken because of the smaller pulley you will have to clearance the holes in the tensioner to get it within specs (the tensioner piston to tensioner pulley clearance)

brutekiller787

No. Same pulley. I used it. Total seal rings are a joke. If the gaskets leak you probably put them on wrong or didn't prep the surface correctly. I put copper spray a gasket on both side's and I have never had a gasket leak. Most of the time there are surface imperfections or pieces of old gasket left on there and that's what causes leaks, especially with no prep.

anothergt4

If by prep you mean a roloc disk and then alcohol to clean it up, and having the head and deck resurfaced then I did the prep, and emery cloth around the front and rear main seals. Also I've been recommended to use total seal rings by kris at koracing so if he is using them without issues on his builds I'm okay with them. I wasn't sure on the pump I just remembered one of the pumps having a smaller pulley.
I guess if you did use copper gasket sealant on all of the paper gaskets they should seal up, and the fact that it comes with an mls gasket is a plus I just had a bad experience with them, a lot of the Toyota gaskets are much higher quality though. And if total seal rings are a joke, then I would stick with some oem rings or Hastings as they are often the oem supplier, someone probably has this info on here. And in regards to the questions on your bearings they look to be in good condition, so oem should work there too, and as the poster above stated I most likely didn't know what I was doing and to me this seems to be the reason for most bearing failures you read about online, so as long as the manufacturer uses good tolerances in their quality control, you should be good. It's hard to read reviews on a product and try to figure out if they were installed correctly.

brutekiller787

I wasn't trying to sound like a douche and if I did I am sorry. In my opinion Total seal rings are just too expensive for what little you gain, some people swear by them but for a 3-400 hp build they are not worth it. A complete gasket set from Toyota is expensive compared to the cometic kit and a can of copper spray a gasket, which is why I recommended it. Plus mls gasket is much better and multi use instead of one time.

Roloc disks are ok to use on iron (block) but can gouge aluminum if you push too hard. I wouldn't use anything other than one bearings especially for a build of the op's caliber. For 300 hp go with a stock rebuild with all New pumps and seals. I used this kit with great success: http://m.ebay.com/itm/251457007151?nav=SEARCH

If you want up to 400 ish go with forged pistons and an mls gasket and head studs.

Everything here is just my opinion and should be taken as such

anothergt4

brutekiller787":hftx99xo said:
I wasn't trying to sound like a douche and if I did I am sorry. In my opinion Total seal rings are just too expensive for what little you gain, some people swear by them but for a 3-400 hp build they are not worth it. A complete gasket set from Toyota is expensive compared to the cometic kit and a can of copper spray a gasket, which is why I recommended it. Plus mls gasket is much better and multi use instead of one time.

Roloc disks are ok to use on iron (block) but can gouge aluminum if you push too hard. I wouldn't use anything other than one bearings especially for a build of the op's caliber. For 300 hp go with a stock rebuild with all New pumps and seals. I used this kit with great success: http://m.ebay.com/itm/251457007151?nav=SEARCH

If you want up to 400 ish go with forged pistons and an mls gasket and head studs.

Everything here is just my opinion and should be taken as such

No you are good I was also just expressing my opinion, and the oem gasket set is about $225 from partznet.com after a coupon code but then you would have to buy a $100-$150 mls head gasket, so with proper prep the cometic set at under. $200 will save the op over $200. This sounds like the perfect solution for his budget. I will admit I did not use the copper spray, but from experience it is some really awesome stuff, so that probably could have saved me from having to pull the motor again.

I appreciate all the insight and I'm sure the op does too, I am still learning so the recommendations I see on here get stored upstairs for future reference. Hopefully the op's build goes smooth.

Interwhat

Hi fellas. I ordered rings and bearings from Toyota as well as rod cap nuts, all pretty cheap. However they said they couldn't send me the gasket set, it has been discontinued. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

As for copper spray, it makes me nervous, copper corrodes pretty easily... I'd rather just trust a gasket.

As for parts, I ordered with the parts generator and 1sttoyota parts.

Interwhat

As far as I know, my gen 2 engine came out of a JDM 91 celica gt 4, can someone help me confirm this part number is correct? There seems to be several part numbers that cross here. Other than being a gen 2 is there anything that can screw me?

04111-74340 number from toyodiy Epc. This is the non valve grind kit which seems to be more expensive than the valve grind number...

anothergt4

Cometic should sell a bottom end kit also I believe it's less than $50, so the one above plus the borrom end kit, and some rtv for the oil pan and you'll be set. I reused my turbo gaskets but high temp rtv works also but may be a shirt time solution. I actually used hondabond for my oil pan because it was readily available. I'll look for the part number on the bottom end kit and get back to you.

Interwhat

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm really looking for a complete kit, even though I may get some extras. I'm rebuilding this thing right as mentioned. Not really into reusing gaskets, I work for Audi and I've had my share of repeat repairs(like twice, but twice too many). As for the oil pan and anything that uses a liquid sealer I'm using Audi/vw black oil sealant because the shit is ridiculously good and cleanly applicable. Also I have tons of it in my cab at work.

I really want to do a clean build only the basics. The intake manifold looks way too busy and I'm sure there's a clean polished version out there(higher flow too, it's not all about looks).

anothergt4

In that case if you want a full rebuild kit, all the gaskets included, koracing.com or ats racing should have what you want but it is pricey. It's hard to believe Toyota is sold out, but I guess there is an end to everything. Twosrus should have a complete gasket set also.

Interwhat

I'd really just rather trust the gasket. So 1sttoyotaparts told me they couldn't get the gasket set, it's discontinued it.

Toyotaonlineparts.com lists a Toyota brand gasket set part number 04111-74340. Can anyone confirm this is the part number for what I want before I pull the trigger?

Also for liquid gasket points I'll be using Audi/vw black sealant because it is literally the best stuff I've ever used and can be used very cleanly. That and I have a metric shit ton of it available to me in my cab at work.

Interwhat

anothergt4":3jwnj3ms said:
In that case if you want a full rebuild kit, all the gaskets included, koracing.com or ats racing should have what you want but it is pricey. It's hard to believe Toyota is sold out, but I guess there is an end to everything. Twosrus should have a complete gasket set also.

How does the quality compare to Toyota?

anothergt4

Interwhat":1xhs8v19 said:
anothergt4":1xhs8v19 said:

How does the quality compare to Toyota?

Sorry I forgot to add that, they are Toyota gaskets, they just buy them in bulk and sell for a profit, and I had a 91 rc and just used a usdm gasket set and everything was there only difference is you won't use the egr gaskets. Also you will have to order the turbo gaskets seperately, they do not come in any kit, also replace what hoses you can that are hard to get to, if you disassembled it you know what I'm talking about. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any more questions I'll do my best to answer with what I know. Good choice on oem bearings and rings I'm glad you found a good price.