Save $ on UPS shipments to Canada

Stubble

It's possible to save the ~$30 customs clearance fee that UPS charges, if you clear customs yourself. Here's how it works.
1) Have the shipper write "Consignee to clear own customs" on the UPS waybill.
2) UPS will leave a delivery note at your address, telling you to go pick it up.
3) Go to the UPS depot, and there will be a separate "Clears Own" office. You can call the number of the UPS notice to find out the address of this office if needed. Pick up a form from this office.
4) Take the form to the Canada Customs office. I'm not sure how many of these offices there are in say, Southern Ontario, but I would think most big cities would have one. It is also a good idea to bring an invoice or receipt. I print the email confirmation of my order and use that. A paypal "confirm payment" page will also work. It should state who you bought it off of, how much you paid, and what you bought.
At Customs, the PST, the GST, and any duty must be paid. I had to pay duty on Whiteline stuff because it was Australian. I didn't pay duty on American-manufacture parts. Duty was 6.5% on the Whiteline stuff.
5) Customs will stamp the form that UPS gave you. You take this form back to the normal pick up point for UPS deliveries (not the Clears Own office), and pick up your new toys. UPS charges about $30 to do this clearing process for you. I've never used Fedex, but I'm sure the process is the same.

minou87

Excellent advice to save $$$. A lot of people don't think they can clear their own goods by a courier but they can. :)

OlyST185

thats very complicated, i just ask the sellers to give a value of 20$ and as i gift so i dont pay any fees.

Stubble

That helps with taxes, but not clearance fees. I also doubt that retailers would send a false invoice - gifting helps if you're buying from individuals.

OlyST185

i bough many time through ebay/paypal and individual and simply saying that avoided me taxes on customs, i had nothing to pay more than the initial shipping charge to canada
no one said no to that since they want me to buy again from them.

Stubble

OK, that's good adivce too. Did they ship to you using USPS though? I think that must be the case since UPS will charge the clearance fee regardless of the value of the item.

A

Anonymous

or save yourself all of that driving around and use USPS to ship your items up to Canada. Canada Post only charges $5 for a handling fee