Cross compatible suspension items

CMS-GT4

I thought it would be good to list cars with compatible suspension components for hopes that it might expand our options for future handling mods.

Here is a thread that covers tie rods ends.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37084

It would be nice to see compatibility from various suspension components and rack items to log what can work.

I have found the front rav4 spindles, hubs and struts to be compatible.
Ae92 items seem to be very similar as well. I used a MK1 MR2 tierod flip kit myself as the taper is the same as ours.

I have been curious if the front of the FRS McPherson system might bolt up as well. I was looking at pics and it is more like a toyota design than the subys I have seen. If it does, that could open up a new housing or possibly insert option. While there is a weight difference, it may be possible to get higher end inserts meant for the car that could be revalved for our application.

de_engineered

I was just thinking about this/hoping for one such thread today, albeit for a less common use - putting Celica/universal Toyota parts into a Camry All Trac.

There's anecdotes scattered throughout AllTrac.net and the greater interwebz, and unfortunately at day's end sometimes you either need to do a little inductive logic (If A = B, and B = C, then C = A kinda deal - just swap those for espoused part compatibilities) or do some test fitting yourself.

Offhand I hear Toyota parts, especially of a similar generation are pretty cross compatible, and it makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint, though it sucks to bank on something fitting and being stuck with a paperweight afterwards.

A compatibility matrix would be awesome though. Maybe someone start a Google Docs spreadsheet and folks start adding stuff in? I'd make the leap but I'm still getting up to speed on All Tracs. Once it's rolling I'd start filling things out, and as we all ought, corroborating details with links to sources or at the very least personal accounts/photos.

I've had some luck moving a little backwards through Whiteline's bushing catalogs, inasmuch as some parts are found under the Celica heading, but are said to fit on Camrys (but don't show up under the Camry heading - there are also universal parts that seem to sidestep things too).

de_engineered

CMS-GT4":38nq1m45 said:
Check out these STi lower arms. Might be something here for us.
http://www.tokyomotorimports.com/engine ... &%208.html
I have those arms on my WRX - identical mounting points to the stock steel ones, and also availbile domestically.

I think the JDM V. 7 arms have some stock caster adjusting bushings, but nothing some Whiteline bushings can't emulate, if not better (as-hard or harder poly).

I lean on "no" so far as them fitting on a Celica or similar, though if anyone wants to test fit, I have a single steel arm lying around if anyone in the SF Bay Area wants it to test fit.

CMS-GT4

I'll see if anyone in the 5th gen group might want to see if they fit. My theory is if they are close enough, maybe we can use bushings to use the at rear bracket and bushings for the front to fit the celica mounting bolt. I know another ball joint would have to be used, and a bracket may need to be made to fit the oem sway bar. It might be however a workable option, and with caster adjustment, and possibly lighter weight, it is worth checking out.

de_engineered

Maybe I thought of it on my own or started thinking about it here, but I'm curious now if say Tacoma knuckles will fit on a Camry All-Trac (de facto Celica for most purposes).

If it fits, yeah a bit more unsprung weight, but bigger/stronger hubs in 5x114, and bigger Taco brakes :D

CMS-GT4

Some notes to add:
20x Tophats front and rear are the same for 18x. The inserts for SS can be tweaked for the front housing, thus making bilstein an option. It doesn't matter though because bilstein lists them for the 185 now. 7th gen top hats are smaller bolts and closer together and not a fit. Rear 20x strut braces can fit. Rear 205 spindles can bolt on and so can the rear subframe.

bajallama

Strut tops from 185 fit 165 also, so then it should fit 205.

Also, I have the motor out and I have an AW11 manual steering rack laying around. I sized it up no joke I am almost certain it would bolt up. The pinion shaft is too short for the power steering shaft of the column but it could work with an extension. Tie Rod ends appear to be the same, however ST are longer. I think it goes along with the fact that the AE92 racks fit. AW has more turns lock to lock so not gonna swap, but an idea for someone who might want to.

CMS-GT4

The tierod flip kit for the aw11 fits the 185 tierod ends, so that confirms that. If the rack can be made to fit, then that might be an option to find a shorter rack.