a bad ct26 turbo?

91celicagt4

Long story short , bought my st185 off a local amigo (whom clearly ruined the whole car), when I first got the car , the car was smoking like shizzle(smokes all over the place coundnt even see the road while I'm driving, so I ended up tow it home).found out he bended the turbo oil return line(forced oil going back to turbo ).fixed that problem,took few ride let it idle no more smokes, but only boost 5psi at all gears , I can hear the turbo spool rpm moving but the car just going no where(also big clunk noise at rear end after breakboost) , so it means that turbo is done? This is my first turbo toyota, any help will be greatly appteciated!

Anoo21

I can tell you the clunk is your rear diff mount just need to solid fill or buy a solid one from klue here on the site. Turbo wise i would have to let the other alltrac gods weigh in on it. Welcome to the alltrac world have had mine for 3 years finally getting to the bodywork but to me it is worth it owning a piece of history and i get a lot of respect from everyone who knows i own one.

UtahSleeper

Do you know if the car has boost controller on it? Seems really wierd to stop at 5 psi unless it is set to that. I assume the readings are coming from an aftermarket boost gauge.

91celicagt4

i do have a exhuast leak :shock: (it was cracked on before the flew section, former owner wrapped it with metal plate but still leaking,so i just cutted it to leave it open), this would limited my boost and cause my car to run like a jerk?? :doh: :doh: :shock:

91celicagt4

well.....still havent figure it out the issues,capped off the tvsv(still boost 5-6 psi at all gears didnt make any difference) :doh: but i do found a plug that isnt plugged,right under distributor. does anyone know what that is and where that goes to??

Attachments

• unplugged.jpg
    unplugged.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 3,595
  • 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 3,595
That plug I believe is a capped plug I think mine has the same one n goes nowhere. As far as turbo remove the air breather side of the turbo. You will see your compressor wheel. Grab the nut n give it a push pull. Should move little to none. Side to side is probably like a 1/16.. N by side to side I mean moving it back toward the rear and front of the car.

Obviously spins easily and a rebuild kit is on ebay for 60 bucks.
It's really simple to rebuild as well no special tools needed

Screenshot_2014-10-08-18-01-02.png
underscore":25pvefsu said:
Where can you get a CT rebuild kit for 60 bucks?

Ebay idk of quality but I bought one and it looked just like the parts I pulled out.

Eye ball they are the same. I didn't mic them and took like 2 days to get to me.

91celicagt4

Thanks for the reply, I doubt was that turbo , I will stop by local Toyota see if I still able to order the rebuilding kit.

2RM

I would take the intake hose of the turbo and check the turbine shaft play for sure! Especially since you said there were some turbo oil feed line issues. And make sure your intercooler hoses and clamps are on tight, no tears/ cracks. You may have a boost leak. Listen to any whining or any whistling sounds when youre boosting. Any sounds of pressure leaks. Your BOV also may be the problem, try to take it of and do a test run. I would start with that.

91celicagt4

The shaft does have lil play but spin freely, no chip on both compressor side and exhaust side . also I'm pretty sure there is no leak according to my boost gauge (idle at-20).however it does have whinning sound when boosting ....back to the ebay turbo rebuild kit , not bad for a $60 rebuild kit, lets c how long it could last :D