project 3 for 1

Locker

MWP":3qd0yeml said:
Try 079. Lexus Whitest White, as used on the LFA.
Ive just started painting my GT4 in it, looks great.
It's a very clean cool white.

I really like that!
It's now between that and stock super white

athousandleaves

I haven't had a chance to see that colour in person yet but from the pictures of the LFA that I've seen I'd say that's a good pick too!

Why hasn't the internet provided us with a picture of an RC parked with an LFA yet?!?!

Locker

So Today was a very exciting day. I went and visited the car at MR Sandaman in Barrie. The JDM Shell is in fantastic condition. The car has been in a small accident (which I knew about) and the only worrisome part where I saw bondo on the left rear corner never had new metal added!! Bonus! Any of the rust that was just starting on the car is now 100% gone and tomorrow she goes off to the paint shop for a coat of epoxy before heading to the body shop for the LHD conversion.
I'm starting to get very excited as the project is really starting to move forward. LONG WAY still to go. I should have the car back to my house by the end of October so I can put the interior, rear subframe and suspension back on and hopefully start working on the engine build in the new year.

A few pic's of the underneath

And one of the interior

Locker

So I have to say I'm pretty stoked as the first of my parts have come back from the paint shop. The LFA whitest white is exactly the colour I was looking for. I can't wait for some of the bigger parts start arriving.

Locker

Figured it was time for another quick update. The guys have made amazing progress on the body. Went and visited her tonight and they've finished with filling all the little dents and to my surprised they had already added 2 coats of epoxy and a coat of primer. Should be about 2 weeks before the chassy is back at my place and I can officially switch all the ratchets to righty tighty!!!!

Here are a few pics of the parts that have already arrived home and of the car in its current state. They were finishing off the seam sealer tonight including doing the entire under carriage with spray-able so it should be like new when it finally comes home.

Oh and can't forget that my new sway bar links and all new bushings for the rear end! Thanks Klue!!!!

Locker

Thanks man. This project has been in the works now for almost 3 years now and its feeling pretty good to know that its making big progress forward!

Locker

they didn't actually cut anything. it was meticulously disassembled by drilling out all of the pinch welds then reassembled as if it was from factory.
I'm pumped about the final result but it would have been much cheaper and easier to import a mint southern car. What I'm excited about with this car is that it is quite literally going to be a brand new 1990 celica once completed. Though I'm a very long way away from that day.

athousandleaves

I would've thought that's how they did it but which panels did they have to take off for the swap? I thought some portions of the upper cowl were doubled up or overlapped in some spots...

Locker

I wish I could give you the full details but I wasn't there for everything. There were a number of panels that had to be removed before they could access the firewall. Terrible explanation I know..

CSAlltrac

Locker":3irg5b5p said:
they didn't actually cut anything. it was meticulously disassembled by drilling out all of the pinch welds then reassembled as if it was from factory.
I'm pumped about the final result but it would have been much cheaper and easier to import a mint southern car. What I'm excited about with this car is that it is quite literally going to be a brand new 1990 celica once completed. Though I'm a very long way away from that day.
This is awesome to see that the swap was done correctly! Ive seen way to many builds with hacked up firewalls for the conversion.
I love your build so far, very professional and thorough. Cant wait for the finished result, keep the pictures coming.

Locker

Thx man. My goal with this car is to get everything done once. After owning a Celica or at one point just an engine for the past 14 years I figured I might as well start from scratch and build it right.
I can't wait to share pictures of the body once here and start putting it back together.

Locker

Quick update.
This weekend was spend cleaning and painting a few parts in anticipation of the shell arriving. progress was slow but the gas tank, drive shaft and few random parts are now painted with POR 15 and looking pretty good.
rear subframe should be out for sand blasting and painting before weeks end and ready for the shell when it arrives in the next 2 weeks.
I have lots of little things that take way more time than you think they should to take care of along with cleaning to make room for the car. I can't tell you how much I want the car to get here just so I can get things off the ground and attached to something!

Locker

Today was the big day! The car is home!!!!!! The paint looks amazing! There is still a bit of work to do to clean up the engine bay but that is going to be left until the rest of the car is put back together.

Here are a few pics.

Locker

Quick Update.

The car came home on Sunday and so the rebuild has officially begun. Its a slow process as almost all the work is done after my daughter goes to bed so I basically get a couple of hours here and there.
I decided the best place to start was laying out the wiring harnesses. I haven't tied them down as of yet as I want to make sure everything is laid out correctly as well as I know I'll need play in the dash harness to get everything in. One big reason to start with the harness was they took up a large amount of space in the garage and its something I'm quite short on.

I know this doesn't seem like major progress but its nice to know its moving in the right direction. From here I'm going to start at the back of the car and move forward. I'm hoping to have the hatch put together by the end of the weekend as well as a few other small items like the door trim etc.

Locker

So a big but boring night in the garage yesterday. My rear subframe, sway bars and hub's got back from sand blasting and did the 1st coat of POR15 on everything.
Also stage 1 of sound deadening happens on Wednesday. My body guy is coming by and we are going to seamseal the floor as well as in the rear quarter's behind the speakers