[How to] Rebuild the Powersteering pump.

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.

Re: [How to] Rebuild the Powersteering pump.

Postby st185_cs » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Mine doesnt stop making this sound, Its not audible when driving on the highway, but turning stopped or at low speeds make this noise. Its the typical low fluid level that makes the pump run with air, but the level is ok and the fluid was replaced less than 2 years ago.

A strange thing is that the service manual says that this car should use dexron II fluid, but my car has a green colour fluid (it was replaced in a official toyota dealer), but i havent seen a green dexron ii fluid in my entire life :shrug:

Do your car have green or red fluid?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Celica st185 Carlos Sainz.
st185_cs
Club Member

Postby 88gt4DE » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:24 pm

st185_cs wrote:Mine doesnt stop making this sound, Its not audible when driving on the highway, but turning stopped or at low speeds make this noise. Its the typical low fluid level that makes the pump run with air, but the level is ok and the fluid was replaced less than 2 years ago.

A strange thing is that the service manual says that this car should use dexron II fluid, but my car has a green colour fluid (it was replaced in a official toyota dealer), but i havent seen a green dexron ii fluid in my entire life :shrug:

Do your car have green or red fluid?

I'm running red Dextron fluid. I have also never seen green trans .... I would maybe try to dump the fluid and put red in it. Could be the issue. Easiest way to drain it is to pull the vac fitting out. May have to do it two of three times to get it fully flushed. Only thing you have to be careful with is the little flare apartor if it comes out when you pull the vac fitting off the pump ....
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
88gt4DE
Established Member

Postby yyonline » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:40 am

Great info! The pictures were a great help in rebuilding the power steering pump. A few things to add.

ST185pinjo wrote:There is also a brass piece with the kit. I didn't install this because;

- I could not get the old one out.

- The size of the pieces is different.

This brass seat goes between the housing and the vacuum switch port on the bottom of the pump.

ST185pinjo wrote:The three rings left are for the hoses i quess, but I don't have them here.

The 3 leftover o-rings go in the following locations.

1. Between the fluid return port and the housing. Unbolt the return port, pull it out and there's a o-ring on the end of the port.
2. Between the pressure port and the housing. Unbolt the pressure port and there's an o-ring on the end.
3. Around the inside hole of the front plate where the shaft passes through the hole in the plate. This one is really hard to see and almost stumped me until I looked at the service manual.

Tomorrow I get to wrestle the pump back into the car. That should be fun. :roll:
1992 Toyota Celica all-trac (the dream car)
1993 Toyota Celica ST (the efficient daily driver)
2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track (the fun daily driver)
yyonline
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Previous

Return to How To