ARC topmounts

zero06

So I have In my possession an ARC top mount intercooler. As a welder by trade I could easily take measurements/fabricate new ones. I also have a junker parts alltrac I could mock them up on to insure fitment 8). I could also include BOV flanges and maybe strait intakes for recirc. would anyone be interested?

zero06

thanks peteleetzor! If I get a good amount of responses/Interest I will make It happen. This wouldn't just be limited to top mounts, I could really make a lot of stuff happen, Fmic kits, W2a kits, intakes, ect. but Im only going to invest in the material if I know I have buyers.

MacGyver

As I'm fairly sure I'm not the only poor trac owner on the forum got any idea what kind of price tag this would have?

zero06

under 400 isn't possible the Intercooler core itself runs about $300. It looks like arc used two different sizes of sc5 pipe equivalent and a bit of flat stock. all aluminum of course. then I have to buy wire, argon and weld consumables. i figure each one is about 5-6 hours of work for me with purge and fitment. materials and delivery I doubt my cost will be under 500. Im pretty sure it would be around $700-800
Im pretty sure the arc's ran 900 new and i'm sure their profit margin was higher due to bulk material orders.

my only other option would be to find a chinese manufacturer, then bulk, time, quality and morality come into question.
Id like to re-create a quality product that has been taken off the market, not a cheaply made knockoff.

91celicagt4

Honestly Is too much for a top mount intercooler. I used to have one on my mazdaspeed3 from CPE, only cost $400. U might have to lower the price in order for ppl to be interested! Just my 2 cents.

zero06

I can't make these for less than cost. We are talking a North American made product. I see there is no interest I will not be making top mounts. This thread can be closed

Hotrodhendrix

ARC's seem to have sold and still sell for a good amount. I am sure some would sell even if you did in small batches. Probably some over seas orders also where the GT_Four owner seem less cheap haha. Just a thought.
~James

Brad_91

Do you have air temps showing how efficient it is vs stock topmount? For $700-$800 people are going to want to know the product, and it seems like you have scared some people away with a "big" price tag..

I think our cars are worth something like this if it is worthwhile though! Not sure what someone would pay for a quality front mount set-up, but it can't be cheaper than that? :shrug:

My GT-Four is still stock-ish and probably would not benefit much from this upgrade, or else I would be interested more. What kind of benefits would an upgraded top mount give? I know the stock top mounts are not great, but are aftermarket ones proven to function much more efficiently?

Corey

Rest assured - an ARC TMIC is a worthwhile upgrade. I've been running one for about 6 years now up to 22 psi at times on the stock turbo. At the time I paid ~$500 for it (used).

You will notice a 2 psi increase in boost pressure on a stock setup with no boost control - that's how my car reacted to the install.

This will require a custom intake scoop duct to ensure proper cooling.

Corey

I'm not sure if it's better than a FMIC, but it's certainly easier to install and is still susceptable to heat soak. But it cools down quickly.

klue

The stock top mount is not a great unit, it is also very restrictive. Making a newer unit with modern core technology will undoubtedly yield gains in both overall cooling efficiency and spool up time.
Great solution when you factory in the ease of install.

Ultimately a PROPERLY (key word) designed FMIC set up will cool more efficiently, sacrificing some spool up time.