Aeroform install assistance

UtahSleeper

So, I am about to install an Aeroform kit I got a few months ago and have some questions.

The front and rear seem easy enough since they are glued/joined to a bumper and bolt up rather easy.

The side skirts are where my concern is. They have holes for the front and rear to be screwed down at the wheels and I plan on drilling holes to mount it at the mount locations by the doors, but what epoxy/glue can I use to give it some extra strength and seal the kit off from having too much get behind the kit?

anothergt4

I'm glad to see your getting the car together, just don't use what the previous owner used, as you know it still hasn't dried, lol

anothergt4

On another note, google 3m Automix panel bonding adhesive, I saw the guys on Trucks use this stuff for a patch panel. It is pretty cool stuff, but it would make it absolutely permanent. The stuff that specifically states compatible with fiberglass is part number 08115 and is about $40, but looks like it requires a special dispensing gun.

UtahSleeper

Mafix":da3ocxlf said:
really? where did you find one? they have been discontinued for many years

The guy who posted below you had an alltrac he was parting out and it had the kit :) The seller even included the front and rear bumpers that the kit were glued/bonded to.

UtahSleeper

anothergt4":zksox79c said:
On another note, google 3m Automix panel bonding adhesive, I saw the guys on Trucks use this stuff for a patch panel. It is pretty cool stuff, but it would make it absolutely permanent. The stuff that specifically states compatible with fiberglass is part number 08115 and is about $40, but looks like it requires a special dispensing gun.

I have read a little about it and it seems good, but my concern is how permanent it sounds. I want to have it removable with some effort and know I wont mangle it. What I may do is try and use a paintable epoxy and bond it to the bumper guards. Not sure yet, just trying to spit ball.

And I think they used an epoxy, but didn't get it mixed right, or thats atleast what it feels like to me.

I plan on taking a grinder to the epoxy and filler they have on the side skirts and then drill out the mounting holes so it can be secured in a traditional sense.

Another simple question, to remove the rear bumper skin, do you have to remove the rear bumper itself to access the bolts on the top? Seems that way, but want to verify.

anothergt4

I honestly don't remember on the rear, I remember it being fairly easy though, i don't think I needed to remove anything. It may not be the right thing to use, but window weld might actually work and would be reversible with a little heat and a putty knife

UtahSleeper

I was actually thinking of using window weld lol. Really, if I can get the skirts held down with bolts and screws, really all I will need is a sealant.

May just use that though if I don't feel the screws and bolts are good enough.

UtahSleeper

Another question for those that know.

Do the 162's use a smaller metal bumper then the 165? Seems my 165 bumper may be too tall to mount the 162 skin to. Want to make sure before I start trying to find a new metal bumper.

UtahSleeper

Well, I think I determined the bumpers are different cause the trac has metal extenders for bolting the stock bumper a little lower. I trimmed the bottom of the old bumper and all seems good.