Celica AllTrac on Hagerty's list of "Forgotten AWD Cars"

mike325ci

I couldn't recommend them enough... When I got rear-ended in my MR2 in July, it really showed how stand-up they were in making the whole process so easy, fast, and headache-free... And the agreed-value coverage is the only way to go for classic cars that have real market value that is higher than what "book" value would show. Instead of $500 or whatever my '86 MR2 was valued at KBB or even worse, at wholesale-- they paid me the total amount of agreed value that I told them when I first put it on their insurance. That allowed me to get a replacement car without shelling out extra money, which is exactly what insurance is supposed to do in the first place. On top of that (being my first accident since I got my license 25+ years ago), it was such a fast and smooth process for me to get the check, get my medical expenses reimbursed, etc. and very patient walking me through my options and answering my questions during the claims process... You can choose any shop you want to do repairs (my estimate from 2 different places was still too high for them to fix it, so it was totaled).

Only caveat is that you need a daily driver insured to you, as the classic cars cannot be daily drivers. However, they don't put any mileage restrictions or use restrictions on your car (unlike other classic car insurance providers) which is a huge plus. Obviously, if you're putting 12,000 miles a year on your classic car, they are going to scratch their head and give you a call...

Josh, totally look into it... I believe I'm paying something like $350/year on my Celica for $0 deductible comp/collision/glass-- full coverage with agreed value.

:)

CMS-GT4

I just did an online quote and they want $845 a year. How do you value your car? The cost of the sum of parts and a similarly priced chassis or what?

mike325ci

The garage thing might be true, but try again; maybe they are okay with the car being in a driveway...? I'd assume they certainly don't want the car street-parked...

As for you, not sure why that's so high... What did you set the agreed value at? You basically say something like, my car is worth $12,000 and then you list the mods and value (replacement value + labor for installation) for them... But the final "agreed value" is the value that your car is insured for. So in the event of a total loss, they cut you a check of that amount...

I'm in a high-cost insurance area (New York City) and it's pretty low... A normal, late-model daily driver type of car, say a 2014 Camry, would cost me like $1700/year for insurance full coverage. My ST185 under Hagerty at (I think it's $12,000 agreed value...) is like I said, about $350/year full coverage... The best way is to get an old beater car insured as a daily driver (liability only / state minimum) for cheap and then get classic car insurance... That's what I do...

CMS-GT4

I think I will give them a call. I just listed the car as 25k. I figured a decent 92 would cost 8k, then I added all the mods. So It might not work that way. It came down to $539 which I added a deductible. I like in IL, but in a very rural area so I can't imagine Chicago lumping me in with them. My car is garage kept, and even though I only drove 1k in the past 5 years I listed 3500 per year as my milage just because I am planning on driving the car more to events and racing come next year. Maybe a live person can give me a better quote.

CSAlltrac

mike325ci":lrblbkz6 said:
I couldn't recommend them enough... When I got rear-ended in my MR2 in July, it really showed how stand-up they were in making the whole process so easy, fast, and headache-free... And the agreed-value coverage is the only way to go for classic cars that have real market value that is higher than what "book" value would show. Instead of $500 or whatever my '86 MR2 was valued at KBB or even worse, at wholesale-- they paid me the total amount of agreed value that I told them when I first put it on their insurance. That allowed me to get a replacement car without shelling out extra money, which is exactly what insurance is supposed to do in the first place. On top of that (being my first accident since I got my license 25+ years ago), it was such a fast and smooth process for me to get the check, get my medical expenses reimbursed, etc. and very patient walking me through my options and answering my questions during the claims process... You can choose any shop you want to do repairs (my estimate from 2 different places was still too high for them to fix it, so it was totaled).

Only caveat is that you need a daily driver insured to you, as the classic cars cannot be daily drivers. However, they don't put any mileage restrictions or use restrictions on your car (unlike other classic car insurance providers) which is a huge plus. Obviously, if you're putting 12,000 miles a year on your classic car, they are going to scratch their head and give you a call...

Josh, totally look into it... I believe I'm paying something like $350/year on my Celica for $0 deductible comp/collision/glass-- full coverage with agreed value.

:)
They told me the Alltrac wasnt on their approved list of cars to cover. :shrug: Ill have to call them back. I really just want the ability to get something else I can enjoy in the event my beloved Celica gets taken out. $15K is the minimum I would want to insure for.