Megasquirt FAQ, writeup (Updated 30/10/09)

BNZ

Do you have some start values for the EAE+celica manifold,or some guidelines ?
Also do you have the stock manifold (not ported,not polished) ? Thanks

You can look at my .msq file here :

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 17#p275017

Here is a very good thread about EAE :

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 66#p185966

I cannot explain it better than Ken's post.

It require patience and lot of tuning via very small steps to get it done. But first, you need t0 understand the basic of how each parameter is acting. Read this page of the manual too :

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... l.html#EAE

Sam

BTW, my manifold isn't ported or polished, it's a stock ST215 one.

coyoteboy

Cheers Sam, sorry for missing this, the forum doesnt email me any more for some reason so hadn't spotted your reply, unfortunately you're running a completely different version of the MS to me - no EAE on MS1, the closest it gets is RPM based AE, which I'm using, with a fairly high trigger thresh, it doesnt trigger with fairly normal changes in cruise speed, it only triggers with stabbing the throttle.

MWP

So what are you guys doing for knock control?

It seems the J&S Safeguard is the method of choice, but it would be nice if there was a decent/reliable knock sensor package that could be integrated with a MS3.

Any ideas?

coyoteboy

Personally I've just tuned for the worst fuel and given a little leeway, while listening to the knock sensor with an amp, no active knock control.

UtahSleeper

This needs a friendly pump. Anyone using the the MSPNP on an alltrac with stock everything? Anyone try the knock board?

I ask cause I am considering try to use the MSPNP on my trac in the near future and while I have a stock harness I can hack up a little, I would like to keep costs down and just use stock ignition instead of getting COP, trigger wheel, etc.

MWP

Ive been re-housing my Megasquirt3 + MS3X + TinyIOx + KnockBoard + RTC into a different box.
Its almost ready to go.

Im still waiting on G sensor & Bluetooth boards to add in as well.

eNpVjk1rwkAQhv9KmHvMzH5Mt5ObIsFCQIh32a5RF7eNJAotpf-9CcZD5zTPM8zL68XJzyBa4BoDlIOwE6h9fxmKle-zbQzj0qYYfNbsyNnCNnm1W2fLe0yHQiHpHHWuKKsbXWzqak-OefG2raYsI3CMKUEZBUe0AsGHczsxPfh2vn-8P-8k8DW9jWUcIjzM92x4NqNK3anbh67_bPtnlJvtNdygPAguDP4fpRQaw2helUVNGh0686JYa83kiA2ysuXvH-qPR-g,.jpg

eNpVjk1rwkAQhv9K2HvMfOyu28mtUoJCQIh32a5pXbo2kigopf-9CcZD5zTPM8zL68XJzyAs6hyDKgexTlTt-6-hWPk-28YwLm2KwWfNDp0pTJNXu7fs9RrToSBAzoFzwqxuuFjX1R7dkhabbTVlaVEfMSVVRoERjajgw7GdGB98OV5P7887irpNb2MZB6Ae5j4bO5tRpe6z24eu_277Z5Sb7TlcVHkQWGj4P0QEWlvQL2SAkcGB00uyzGzRodVgyZS_f-hfR-U,.jpg

The MS3 re-housing schematic...

wiring.png

So I'm VERY new to Megasquirt but I had a question about the 24-1 crank sensor issues. I seem to remember reading something recently about the issue being fixed...is that true? I"m looking at doing a DIYPNP MS2 for my gen 3 swap and want to make sure I understand EVERYTHING before I spend my money on it. I'm not looking for anything crazy right now, I just want to tune my engine to run a bit better since it's currently running pig rich!

hoys

Mega ultra thread resurrection!

I just got a DIYAutoTune DIYPNP running on my ST165 if anyone is interested.

___Scott___

I haven't followed MegaSquirt development for a long time so it would be interesting to read more about what's happening now. Especially with respect to how it applies to an ST165.

hoys

For my application the MS2 was worth the money for the time and simplicity. I have all stock functionality (minus the stuff I don't care about like EGR, the fuel pressure control, and knock detection.

MWP

You don't care about knock protection? :shock:
As for fuel pressure control, it is useful on our cars with the stock smaller fuel return line (I control my pump speed with the ms3).

hoys

MWP":3chcztql said:
As for fuel pressure control, it is useful on our cars with the stock smaller fuel return line (I control my pump speed with the ms3).

To be honest, if this engine blows up, I'll swap it. I'm not going to tune the knock circuit on the car where I've spent more on the ECU than the car itself.

The 165 has no variable pump speed control, just a vacuum modulator on the fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure in effort to cool the engine down if it's overheating.

captaingowa

hoys":2hgyq44y said:
The 165 has no variable pump speed control, just a vacuum modulator on the fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure in effort to cool the engine down if it's overheating.

It does have fuel pump voltage regulation..
It however, was not implemented to regulate fuel pressure rather conserve the life of the fuel pump.

Voltage regulation was based on Air Flow signal which in turn would signal the Fuel Pump Voltage Regulator to either high or low voltage..
Example:
your sitting in traffic... The pump would run at low voltage, thus conserving the life of the fuel pump.

Most people ditched it when modifying for performance since they did not want any chance of losing fuel pressure via the pump not getting full voltage signal when required.

captaingowa

MWP":1o8e96na said:

Knock detection on MS is one of it's weaker points..
I would not rely too heavily on it unless you plan to calibrate the knock frequency.
Which by the way requires making your engine knock and recording the tone via the programmable ECU.
mmmm detonation.

hoys

captaingowa":2h6hu0i0 said:
hoys":2h6hu0i0 said:

It does have fuel pump voltage regulation..
It however, was not implemented to regulate fuel pressure rather conserve the life of the fuel pump.

Voltage regulation was based on Air Flow signal which in turn would signal the Fuel Pump Voltage Regulator to either high or low voltage..
Example:
your sitting in traffic... The pump would run at low voltage, thus conserving the life of the fuel pump.

Most people ditched it when modifying for performance since they did not want any chance of losing fuel pressure via the pump not getting full voltage signal when required.

I thought the AFM circuit was just a pump kill, not a high or low speed switch.

captaingowa

hoys":27c2sn6y said:

One of its functions does control the Circuit Opening Relay .. or as you say pump kill.

That Vane Air Flow meter or VAF was pretty much the corner stone to Toyota engineers and Engine Management.

hoys

captaingowa":36nxif5z said:
hoys":36nxif5z said:

One of its functions does control the Circuit Opening Relay .. or as you say pump kill.

That Vane Air Flow meter or VAF was pretty much the corner stone to Toyota engineers and Engine Management.

Can you explain how the pump was commanding two speeds in the 165?