Black interior

mx6er2587

So my newly acquired parts car has the Toyota blue interior but the system 10 door panels appear to be black. Not painted, not dyed. Actually black. I took one off and the material wrapped around the back was still black. I can't believe someone would have been so meticulous with a dye job.

I didn't think this was an option. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

yyonline

Toyota never offered a black interior for the 90-93 Celica in any trim, at least in the USA and Canada. Other markets may have had different color options, but I don't recall ever having seen black trim.

CMS-GT4

Supposedly the Japan market had black cloth. There was someone selling a set of the interior recently. Another member on the boards also has an import in all black interior. I am likely going to get some gray cloth myself to dye black.

mx6er2587

Hmmm so possibly from japan? This parts car is an odd bird.
hCM3LS4l.jpg

Spectra1

Sure its not painted? I did that same thing to my swapped gts a few years ago. I used a special plastics/vinyl paint, that with proper prep looked and felt almost perfect. You can even paint over the carpet and cloth parts and it made them look like they were dyed. You could just take a little acetone and test a small spot on the back to see if anything rubs off.

mx6er2587

spectra is right. Its a damn good dye job. I think what really through me off is that they're dyed/painted grey panels not blue like the rest of the car.

So someone swapped the stock panels for grey ones and than did a really nice, thorough job dyeing them black. I'm not familiar with the stock cloth interior so I can't say whether the fabric is dyed or swapped for aftermarket black.

CMS-GT4

They did a pretty decent job from the pic. Since my seats are black, I will likely find some rear cloth to dye black, and also dye my carpet, but I will likely leave the rest gray unless a few bits need to be recolored to maintain the unity of the color scheme.