GEN 1 3SGTE CAMSHAFT OPTIONS

I know the 1st gen 3s has few cam upgrade options but can 2nd gen cams be used if I upgrade the valve train to shim under bucket or the 1zz solid lifters? For some reason i'm thinking the hks cams will have a greater improvement over the toda cams but they are only available for the gen2 motors...

thoughts?

Also, if anyone has any knowledge regarding cams and restrictor plates, since i have to run a 35mm restrictor i'm not sure which direction to go in for cams.... 264's seem like the most consistent on all dyno plots i've seen. However i've also read about running staggered cams with more intake duration to force more air into the motor and shorter exh duration to push out with greater force (lift i have no idea if low or high is better). Obviously with a restrictor my motor is going to run out of steam around 6.5k rpm i'm guessing so i'm basically baffled about what to do. On GT4OC "Wolfiehere" is using 318 in&ex but running antilag too.

GT4_DRED

I don't think the 2nd gen stuff will work. It's easier to simply slap a 2nd gen head ('90-'92) on your existing block.

WideFNopen

Stock cams with the exhaust side retarded 2 or so degrees is the best combo for a restricted motor. You also don't need to worry about a solid bucket conversion since restricted motors by nature live at low rpms. I shift mine at 5800 to 6200 depending on the gear and terrain.

WideFNopen":313esq1c said:
Stock cams with the exhaust side retarded 2 or so degrees is the best combo for a restricted motor. You also don't need to worry about a solid bucket conversion since restricted motors by nature live at low rpms. I shift mine at 5800 to 6200 depending on the gear and terrain.

I was thinking similarly but i need to build my motor to be able to run on diff tunes cuz i will run in multiple classes per weekend (1 restricted and 1 not) so i'll need 3 tunes... 35mm restricted, 35mm restricted with antilag if possible, and unrestricted... i was thinking staggered cams 272/264, 272/256, 264/256... i've read and been told longer intake duration to fill cylinders better and short exh to increase exh pressure. Too many decisions never knowing what's the most effective sucks!!!