Climate control lights

dvsone

Hi guys,
I have been searching a while and not been able to find an answer to this.
I want to change all my interior lights in my ST185 to blue ones. The instrument cluster, interior light, glove box ligh and the door lights are all easy but wjat about the lights on the A/C buttons and all those switches in the climate control part of the dash? Can these be changed or are they sealed into the button? If they can be changed what globes can be used?
Thanks heaps for any help or input.

FC Zach

If I were you I'd only replace bulbs that need to be replaced (if any) and replace the green caps on the bulbs with the color of your choice.

Here's some caps for example, this is the first link I clicked on so you may find some cheaper:
http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/Colored-bulb-cap-for-3mm-4mm-4-7mm-10mm-bulbs-p/bulb_caps.htm
bulb_caps-2.jpg

FC Zach

dvsone":2f3rswib said:
Can these be changed or are they sealed into the button? If they can be changed what globes can be used?
Thanks heaps for any help or input.

These are replaceable but if I recall correctly the assembly may need to be completely disassembled to access the bulbs which potentially could and probably will damage/break the locking tab thingys on the buttons which hold them on to the assembly. I had to completely disassemble two different switch units, using good parts to assemble one good assembly. Good Luck and have some super glue handy in case any buttons are broken.

dvsone

Awesome thanks for your replies.
I'm pretty fussy with my car so if i am going to change the colour of some lights i want to change them all to match so i will see how i go disassembling them and hopefully do not break any buttons haha

yyonline

The bulbs have green caps and are easily replaceable.

However, the indicator lights that light up when you select a particular setting are LEDs that are soldered onto the control board. Those would be more difficult to replace, but still possible.

If you have manual climate controls, you will need to disconnect the heater core valve cable in the engine bay and in the driver side console in order to pull the HVAC controls out of the dash.

dvsone

I have auto climate controls and i pulled it apart to hae a look and you are 100% correct.
The background lights are very easy to get to amd can just be capped or replaced no worries but the button lights are another story. My hands are too big for how fiddlie they will be to re-solder so i might have to leave them, for now anyway.