Heat Barriers

I see quite a few Tracs on here that are using different kinds of heat wraps on the stock IC and intake pipings ect. Some are silver and some are gold. I have some regualr exhaust wrap im about to put on my Downpipe but im interested in wrapping my intercooler with some of this foil looking stuff. anyone know what it is and where to get it?

Just the stock 165 IC. Thinking about hunting down a bigger heat exchanger for it. I live in Montana and its not very friendly to front mounts up here. Gonna have to research the forum to see if anyone got themselves a bigger heat exchanger on their 165

athousandleaves

I have a feeling that home depot blanket isn't designed to withstand exposure to excessively high temperatures as it's a blend of natural fibers that have been treated to resist burning with a fire retardant, unlike the synthetic fibers in the thermotec product that are designed for up to 2000°F.

It's nice how thermotec actually tells you the percent it's able to REFLECT/BLOCK and the heat range it's able to withstand under contact or radiantly unlike other high temp stuff on the market.

For example the Mishimoto tape posted earlier... that's great that it can withstand up to 675°F of radiant heat but how much of that heat will it actually reflect? Or you could look at the countless spray cans of high temp paint that people use thinking it actually helps reduce temperatures under the hood :crazy:

___Scott___

I would suggest that if your under-hood temps are so high that the Home Depot stuff can't handle it, then you are working on the wrong problem.

If applied in a "not too tight" manner and sealed up tight to keep it from absorbing moisture, it should work well. Even if it doesn't last forever, at least it was cheap enough (and you probably have plenty left over) to do it again.

Regarding insulating paint. Yeah, most of it is junk. Actual insulating paint does exist though, check out the stuff here:
http://www.hytechsales.com/

Hotrodhendrix

I used to use the home depot self adhesive reflective roll with insulator on the charge pipe. Seemed to work fine but got rid of it of it when I powdercoated it. Never took any readings to see the difference.

~James