st165 cylinder head

drewtcook

:cry: :cry: :cry:

so my st165 cylinder head developed a cracked head a couple weeks ago. I finally got it off, had it welded and started putting it back together. I test fitted camshaft to make sure it didn't warp when it got repaired, but it did. the camshaft fits in the head but doesn't feel straight and doesn't want to spin easily without the bearing caps even on. Is it worth trying to get this repaired or just to source a new head. A couple local shops said I should just get a new head, but I've been trying to find one online now with no luck, and my budy at Toyota Stevenson says there not manufactured from Toyota anymore. If I do need to source a new head, would a st185 or 205 head work in my 165. I thought the st185 cylinder head has a different bracket for the alternator?

any advice would help a ton, I've searched the forums for a while now with no luck.
thanks!

Killtodie

Was the weld performed by a shop that specializes in welding heads?

I had a shop clean up a warped head's cams lobes, $250 for a $1,100 evo head, so it was worth it.

drewtcook

Killtodie":2ipwlgl7 said:
Was the weld performed by a shop that specializes in welding heads?

I had a shop clean up a warped head's cams lobes, $250 for a $1,100 evo head, so it was worth it.

It was done by a big all around welding shop downtown. they didn't specialize in cylinder heads, but said they had experience to do my head. All of the other specialized cylinder head shops around my area all had a 1-2 month wait for work to be done.

i hope i can have that same work for my head done, toyota's price for a new head was $750 but its not manufactured anymore.

drewtcook

10962105_990200727674155_2131748180_n.jpg

heres where they welded it, had another shop grind it down when they resurfaced it. it pulled the part where the camshaft sits twords the center of the head a little.

drewtcook

4 machine shops said they would not be able to fix it. that and the price seems to be more to repair mine without a guarantee then to source a new head. at least it will look good for a coffee table :p

Killtodie

drewtcook":1gq8nte6 said:
4 machine shops said they would not be able to fix it. that and the price seems to be more to repair mine without a guarantee then to source a new head. at least it will look good for a coffee table :p

really? I had a warped head fixed just for that reason. they bored out the cam lobes, and installed spacer journal bearings.

drewtcook

haven't had a shop by me say they would work on it, quotes for ones that have a month wait for any head job was between $350-450, I've found a couple heads from a 165-185 from $150-250. seems like the 185 head is a easy swap and flows a lot better as well.

UtahSleeper

Honestly, if none of your shops appear to be up for the task or have to long of a wait, just getting a used head may be better.

drewtcook

back from the dead, but i need some help again. my new st165 head came in today, was told it didn't have a crack. it does, it is smaller then the one that was on my head but a crack none the less. what are some other ways to repair the crack without having it welded, like the last one I don't want this one to warp. I saw something somewhere of people just cleaning it and putting a sealant over it and using it for a couple months. anyone know anything about this? or a different way to repair the head without welding it?
thanks in advance

Killtodie

drewtcook":4vchh4cv said:
back from the dead, but i need some help again. my new st165 head came in today, was told it didn't have a crack. it does, it is smaller then the one that was on my head but a crack none the less. what are some other ways to repair the crack without having it welded, like the last one I don't want this one to warp. I saw something somewhere of people just cleaning it and putting a sealant over it and using it for a couple months. anyone know anything about this? or a different way to repair the head without welding it?
thanks in advance

Welding is fine if its done by someone who knows how to weld. Its a short weld that takes a few seconds.
Whoever did your original weld either sat there for too long warping the head, or it was already wrapped.
That weld looks too cold, and being that small should not have done any damage.
The weld was also not cleaned up, and no holes were drilled before welding either.

Take it to someone who welds on aluminum for a living, and see examples of their work.

Post pics of the new head, and its crack. I'll advise on the best repair

drewtcook

new head already is in the machining shop before i could get pictures of it, sorry. crack was the same crack all the 1st gen heads get. head looks like it had been sitting for a while and was really dirty. was hard to tell the condition with how dirty it was. It's at a professional shop now with really good reviews. I'm hearing back from them later today or tomorrow once its torn down and cleaned in a hot tank to know if its even going to be usable. from a first look the valves in cylinder 4 all head a weird valve seat, looked orange and oxidized or something.

when i received the head back the weld looked rushed and larger then needed. when i took it there I asked if they were experienced and comfortable repairing a cylinder head, and they said they said they were. and they weren't :nono: :| :nono:

the new head I have in looked really dirty, even compared to mine before i did all the work. the machine shop said it looked like it would need to be tossed but was going to tear it down and check it out since there so hard to source. if it was repairable they said they could weld it, or sometimes with smaller welds they would use a sealant on them, or like a jb weld. sounds like the problem with that is the crack can still expand. anyone have any experience with this?
ill see what happens in the next day or two.

drewtcook

WideFNopen":5a9nkbxs said:
I have a spare 165 head with cams if you need it. I'm in NC.

hey!
I'm definently interested. i should hear back from the shop today or tomorrow. whats the condition in? no crack in the usually spot?

mkernz22

Could you relocate the alternator to where the PS pump is (on the gen1) with an alternator bracket from a gen2 MR2 engine? I'm looking to convert over to an mr2 electronic pump for the PS so this would be nice if it could be done. It would help reduce the possibility of the head cracking and also help with the alternator not overheating.

drewtcook

i have no idea about moving the alternator over to the other side, I know you can use a st185 engine mount and alternator bracket to support the old alternator on the old head to prevent the cracking. I've never seen this. only heard of it. ill be trying it when i get a good head. we'll see when that is...