1988 Alltrac - Fiona - Running and doing just fine

UtahSleeper

So, here is a small update of Fiona.

Summary:
-She starts and drive fairly well for no exhaust and a dead wheel bearing.
-Need to get new seats as I hate how heavy the stock ones are.
-I need to finish reassembling the interior.
-Still have to mount the hood and cut a hole for the IC.
-Immediate plans - Get a DP from Prime MR2 and an ebay exhaust for a st185 as it seems thos fit my Alltrac.

And here are some unexciting pictures.
001.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

Anoo21

Nice man. That engine looks clean but the hood will be a pain. I think I would go fmic if I ever do the swap.

760gt4

Ill be doing this swap along with a st205 trans and will definitely have a fmic. It will just make it easier to get to certain stuff having the intercooler off the valve cover.

UtahSleeper

Agreed, I would prefer FMIC, but this is the quickest way to get it up and running and not start spending more and more money lol. I would rather address things like that after I address what is needed, which is exhaust, bearing and interior for me. FMIC can be done later and a hole in the hood shouldn't be too hard to do. With any luck, when it comes time to go front mount I can afford a FG hood lol.

UtahSleeper

Small update:

Finally replaced the bearing on my Alltrac with the help(read:I mostly sat there and let him do the work lol) of a friend.
Order a 3" DP and exhaust.
In the process of replacing the ball joints and outer tie rods on both sides.

Hope to have pics soon, just been spending alot of time on my oldest sons car, getting it ready for him to drive.

UtahSleeper

Well, here is an up to date post.

Got my shiny new ebay exhaust. I didn't expect much from it, but I am happy with it.
001.JPG

Prime MR2 DP. The cheapest one they sell, but I am happy with it.
002.JPG

Old DP is gone.
007.JPG

New DP installed and heatshield in place.
008.JPG

All put back together.
010.JPG

Test fitting the exhaust.
012.JPG

Aeroform cut to make the exhaust fit. Need to make it look a little better.
013.JPG

All in place.
014.JPG

The hood, which is pre cut.
025.JPG

Hood is cut and test fitted. Still need to trim and get a scoop.
027.JPG

Starting to look like a real car again.
030.JPG

zaluss

Awesome build.

I assumed you used an ST185 ebay exhaust. Any issues installing it or modifications due to fitment?

UtahSleeper

zaluss":81cxfqtv said:
Awesome build.

I assumed you used an ST185 ebay exhaust. Any issues installing it or modifications due to fitment?

Yes, 185 exhaust. Zero issues with fitment except for the muffler. That issue was caused by the bumper though, since its not the stock one. All the hangers matched up but I needed to use the ring exhaust rubber hangers instead of some other options.

I was just happy I could get a DP that mounted up to the exhaust system fine.

UtahSleeper

Well, small update.

My fuel pump seems to be dying. Can start the car, but it takes awhile sometimes and the car doesn't rev easily. So, plan on replacing that in the coming weeks with a walbro and then hope I can aim at getting her registered.

82te72

Hey, i remember you from the 3tc forums.

i just read through the last half of your build. I plan to be doing something very similar with mine that i just picked up.

any recommendations for doing the swap?

UtahSleeper

82te72":2ugsnid7 said:
Hey, i remember you from the 3tc forums.

i just read through the last half of your build. I plan to be doing something very similar with mine that i just picked up.

any recommendations for doing the swap?

Not sure on any recommendations as this was pretty straightforward lol. I paid to have the harness done and everything else was bolt on except need to replace the passenger side mount location with the 1st gen motor. It was amazingly easy with the wiring taken care of.

Also, buy 2nd gen flywheel bolts. Anything specific you want to know?

82te72

got it. well good to know how simple it is.
mine came with a knocked gen 2 so i have the bolts already.

Im just looking for an engine now.

thank you.

760gt4

UtahSleeper":1i13pxhc said:
Well, small update.

-I have sent off the my harness to have it modified to work in the st165.
-The stock flywheel bolts are too small for the motor(the threaded portion). Need to see what is needed here. Flywheel seems to line up properly.
So did you use your 1st gen flywheel with gen2 bolts? I'm in the process of buying a clutch and flywheel kit but I'm not sure if all flywheels are the same for every gen. Or if the transmission will be an issue since I'm gonna use an st205 gearbox.

UtahSleeper

760gt4":2hbdrt7g said:
UtahSleeper":2hbdrt7g said:
Well, small update.

-I have sent off the my harness to have it modified to work in the st165.
-The stock flywheel bolts are too small for the motor(the threaded portion). Need to see what is needed here. Flywheel seems to line up properly.
So did you use your 1st gen flywheel with gen2 bolts? I'm in the process of buying a clutch and flywheel kit but I'm not sure if all flywheels are the same for every gen. Or if the transmission will be an issue since I'm gonna use an st205 gearbox.

Well, not sure on transmission, but the flywheel is my 1st gen flywheel. I bought flywheel bolts for a 2nd gen mr2 motor. All lined up and went together fine. I used my 1st gen transmission for this swap.

760gt4

I see. Your stock trans is in good shape with no worn syncros? My 2nd gear is barely hanging in there, I have to shift at very low rpms, like under 3k.

UtahSleeper

I assume it is lol. I was able to get into first and second gear a few times before the previous motor developed knock. Thats the big issue with buying someone's project, you never know what it will need till you get it running.