90 Alltrac build "project hotdog"

Kswizzle

Well today didn't go as planned. Finally finished up and lit it off and it had a really odd clatter sound. My guess is timing. I replaced my leaking can seals when the motor was out. So I compressed the tensioner in a vice and seemed to be fine. But when we fired it up it had a weird knocking noise. I have video but don't know how to upload. Has anyone had this experience. I was thinking it's possible the timing belt it loose due to the tensioner. It relative to the rpms. Sounds like valve train related. Also another weird thing is when it's running if you pull the oil fill cap it'll die?! And it seems like there's a lot of NEGATIVE crankcase pressure? What the hell? Also when we put the axles back on the slip joint came out and broke the cage. So a new axle is on order. Totally dejecting day but that's what I got myself into lol. Thanks in advance!

I have heard from other people that an exhaust leak around your manifold will have a knocking sound, but I don't know if that's the noise.
It kind out sounds like mine, the tensioner on my timing belt is going out so it slaps the inside of the timing cover.

Just ideas.

Good luck finding the problem!

Chuck.hudson

I had a similar problem with mine and it did turn out to be an exhaust leak. Pull the spark plugs one at a time to see if the noise goes away. I had a stud that I knew was a little wonky so I kinda already suspected the manifold leak. If you pull the manifold you should be able to see where the exhaust has been leaking passed the gasket.

Kswizzle

Thanks for the responses! And I did try pulling each plug and it didn't go away. Which led me to believe it was something valve train related. I will certainly look into the exhaust leak idea. I'll be sure to post what I find.

Chuck.hudson

I guess the leak could be between two cylinders and that's why it's not going away while pulling one plug at a time. When I was trying to track my noise down I did find 4 valve shims out of spec. This wasn't really what was causing my problem but you might want to check yours since it's pretty easy and not very time consuming .

Kswizzle

Quick update. The odd clicking sound in the head was definitely the tensioner. Finally after many long brutal hours on this car I got to drive it. Drove it a few miles and PSHHHH. Blew coolant all over the windshield. So my worst fear about this car while doo g the clutch came true. Blown head gasket. What a trifecta. Owned the car for nine months. Driven it about 40 miles total since Ive had it. In that span of time I've done the timing belt, just did clutch and radiator, and now I have to do the headgasket. So after throwing a couple wrenches I calmed down and have taken a different look at it. At least I know it will be good now. And I can put in a good head gasket now for when the time comes to crank the boost up. I really almost said screw this car but have to remember why I love them so much.

Welcome to the joys of owning an alltrac :D
I've had mine 4 years and have only put on like 1700 miles due to shit constantly failing.

Kswizzle

Update-
Been receiving parts slowly. So damn busy right now that idk when I'm gonna be able to get cracking on this puppy. Splurged a little and bought the eBay 3" exhaust. Pretty stoked about that. I'm gonna do rings and rod bearings along with the entire cometic lower gasket set. Got ARP head studs and valve cover bolts from twosrus. Gonna powder coat the valve cover and a few other things. Does anyone have any recommendations of things to do while I'm there? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 1,913

Corey

Does anyone have any recommendations of things to do while I'm there? Thanks in advance!

Consider replacing the valve stem seals while the head is off and the coolant hoses from hell.

Kswizzle

This may be a stupid question but I do have to pull the intake mani right? Theres no way way it will clear the firewall right? I don't have the car in front of me right now so I can't tell. Also any tips on the best way to pull the intake?

Corey

Are you dropping the engine out the bottom? The intake manifold can stay on. Also a good idea to remove the radiator to avoid any damage while moving the motor.

Kswizzle

Sorry for not being clear. I'm doing the head gasket in car. So can I pull the HEAD with the intake mani still on?

Corey

Hrmm. I haven't done that before, but others have and may have tips for you. Trying to remove the intake manifold in car wont be easy.

There is probably a how-to somewhere on the forum here, but I know there is a good one on the following site:

http://www.gtfours.co.uk Under How to ->Modify-> Remove and Port ST165 TVIS