MWP's wannabe Tarmac Rally 5S-GTE ST185 (racing!)

MWP

Yeah, i am :)

Unfortunately i wont be entering a big hillclimb (Mt Alma Mile) thats in a month or so :(
Im not happy with my safety gear (seats, belts, cage, etc) and tyres yet to do that. I also have a steering rack noise to fix.

One thing i just realized though, is that video proves my 5S oiling / DIY baffled sump works great! :D
No oil pressure issues anywhere, especially during that long RH corner into the center skid pan area.

MWP

Im undecided, they look a bit large.... thoughts?

11020366_10152674293686301_1775654379_n_jpg_oh_c.jpg

11026434_10152674293521301_2136737123_n_jpg_oh_1.jpg

MWP

I have no idea. All i know is they were bought from the UK.
It looks like they were made for a different car. A little work will be required to make em fit.

CMS-GT4

They look like the 2000 wrx aftermarket mirrors. We had a talk about them on the fb group. They are made for rhd. There is a us company that makes a cf version for about 250 and lists them on eBay. I was going to get them till I found a set of lhd folding mirrors.

MWP

Hah, these were cheap. Its the only reason i got them.

On the plus side, they are super light.
They weigh about 150g where the old mirrors weigh about 10x that.

MWP

I spent Saturday rebuilding/modifying my 205 shifter.

I extended the lever and moved it towards the driver/wheel.
Amazing the overall difference it makes when driving the car :D

I extended it by cutting the arm about 15mm above the ball, welding on a ~180mm long piece of steel tube that was bent to shape, then welding a M12x1.25 bolt with the head cut off into the top of the tube.

IMG_20150406_001031.jpg

IMG_20150406_001055.jpg

Before it was extended, the bottom of the shift knob was maybe 10mm lower than the top of the boot.

MWP

I spent the arvo emptying fluids and starting to pull intake hoses, etc off the GT4 getting ready to drop the engine out.
Quite a few nice surprises :)
No oil whatsoever in the head breather hose, no sign of any blowby. The guys that did the block machining did a great job!
The CT20b that i thought may be on the way out, actually looks to be in perfect shape. No sign of it leaking oil at all.
Engine oil looked great. Gearbox oil (mix of MT90 and smurfs blood) also came out perfect (it'll be re-used).

The Unifilter also appears to be working well :p

IMG_20150422_174544.jpg

Ewwwwww
IMG_20150422_174622.jpg

MWP

Yeah, they were stinky too :(
The really sticky air filter oil made them yuck to clean up. lol.
I do a decent amount of country/hills driving at night, so do collect quite a few on the front bumper and rad.

Talking about bumpers... a last gen (zze) Celica ran into the back of me a traffic light about a week ago.
A decent hit, push me forward a couple of feet.
I was expecting to see the other Celica's bumper fairly badly damaged and mine at least pushed in a bit.
Not a dent or even the slightest scratch on either car! Couldn't tell it even happened.
Was happily amazed :)

MWP

Detaching everything to drop it out was very straightforward, but has still taken ~4hrs so far :(

Only things left are the front drive shafts, then out it'll come.

IMG_20150424_183055.jpg

MWP

Yeah it is :)

The guy that congratulated me on a good run at the finish line used to rally a 185 and won the state rally championship in it multiple times.
So that was nice.

Its also quite frustrating too as i know i should be able to do the courses quite a lot faster.
The quickest guys were doing that course about 8-10 seconds faster than I did. Thats a lot.
I need decent tyres, to fix my rear suspension, and a hydraulic handbrake.

After that it'll just be practice that makes me quicker. As you can see from that video, my driving needs some polishing up :p
It'll come with time. Its only my second go at this event. The guys that are winning it have been doing 4-5 of them a year for the past 4 years.