Blowing smoke

819_ay

Hey everyone, so I took Princess to the rally event here in Quebec this weekend and well when I'm in boost I get these big clouds of blueish smoke behind me... Does this mean I need a turbo rebuild or a engine rebuild or both?if not what could it be

Thanks guys

CSAlltrac

Our cars are old, and with that age comes little gems like these. You probably are due for some maintenance beyond the regular things done. What I would do first though, since it has helped me in the past. Switch to Rotella T diesel oil. It has cut my smoking issues in half before.

819_ay

So switch completely to rotella? Diesel oil won't hurt the engine at all? And is there different weights? Ie 5w30..im running mobile 1 10w30 now

Thanks

819_ay

I will try that thanks a lot, how about engine treatment like stp and bardhal, would any of that stuff help, or is it all junk? I plan on doing a full overhaul of the engine but I'm not at that stage of my rebuild yet, I'm still a long way from having money to do so lol, gonna start with suspension and body, since I can do most of it myself, sandblasting parts, painting and all that, anyways I will try the rotella t and see what happens I don't drive her to often lately, I bought a brz so been driving that, but I still like to take Princess out from time to time, especially to rally events where I volunteer to help and I get chances to go through the stages and have a little fun, obviously not as fast as the racers but I hit about 70-80 km/h just enough for me to have a little fun without destroying her

88gt4DE

Mine does this too. Running Mobile 1 5w-30 mainly because the access I have to it. I've heard great stuff about Rotella oil too from my father in law ... He runs that stuff in all his equipment.

819_ay

Aright so I need some help again lol... I took off the intake piping that's connected to the turbo and there's oil leaking out of it

I never thought to run rotella in my alltrac, I run it exclusively in my sti and it's great stuff. I'll have to give this a try when I get my alltrac back on the road.

Is it just sitting on the intake side of your turbo?
It might just be oil bypass, install a catch can and it should clear it up.
If not your turbo might be ready for a rebuild.

819_ay

I already have a catch can... Maybe it's no good... It's a air compressor filter basically.. And even with the catch can there is oil coming from the intake pipe... There is oil all over the turbine... It's a mess... So turbo or engine... I put in rotella and it didn't help... It's. Still blowing a bunch of smoke... I got a big cloud of white smoke the other day, never happened before...

underscore

How far up the intake piping does the oil go? And is there any oil in your catch can? I'm assuming the one you're talking about is the DIY one with some filter material put in an air compressor filter?

819_ay

Yeah that's the one... There is some but it seems like there's more in the intake pipe... Honestly didn't check how far up the oil goes