Tom Celica/ST165

Tom_Celica

Northern Nevada and I just picked up a 1988 ST165. I came from the other side of Toyota with rock crawlers and Single over heads. I mainly joined up for info and my first question is where to find a gen1 mechanical timing tensioner and kit.

88gt4DE

Welcome ! Those tensioners are really cheap and readily avail. May even still be able to grab it from Toyota ... but tough to say. I tried to get a radiator hose last week and that's discontinued .... :shrug: :roll: :bangshead: :pissed:

Tom_Celica

88gt4DE":1rr224jc said:
Welcome ! Those tensioners are really cheap and readily avail. May even still be able to grab it from Toyota ... but tough to say. I tried to get a radiator hose last week and that's discontinued .... :shrug: :roll: :bangshead: :pissed:

where do you suggest I look? From a 3sge?

entrax

rockauto or toyota.

the 3sge tensioner is a spring type, not sure if the gen1 3sgte needs the hydraulic type or spring type

Tom_Celica

entrax":3dfd9kyb said:
rockauto or toyota.

the 3sge tensioner is a spring type, not sure if the gen1 3sgte needs the hydraulic type or spring type

Gen 1 3sgte is mechanical spring type not hydraulic

88gt4DE

Tom_Celica":23612618 said:
88gt4DE":23612618 said:

where do you suggest I look? From a 3sge?

Sorry , I don't get on here much anymore. I would try the dealer first and if still avail grab it. That this will take a beating so quality is very important. If dealer no longer has them then you kinda have to grab whats out there and hope for the best ... like all of us with discontinued stuff its trial and error and word of month between members to what works and what doesn't .... :smokes: