turbo V6, AUS Delivered St185, track car

CMS-GT4

Engine tech has come a long way. There are modern "F" engines capable of good power and better power bands than the 3s and still get better economy. I stick with the 3s just due to things being easier.

fibrewizard

CMS-GT4":22rru291 said:
Engine tech has come a long way. There are modern "F" engines capable of good power and better power bands than the 3s and still get better economy. I stick with the 3s just due to things being easier.

yes......... but where is the fun in easy?

fibrewizard

mk1spyder":2hfayg2m said:
I'll give you props for doing something different but a gen3 3sgte is the way to go. I know its boring but F heads suck. The JOGTC supras used 3SGTE engines for a reason.

Thanks......

I have already proved that a 3sgte, is not the only " way to go" my conversion in my 184, came in cheaper then it would have been to do a fwd 3sgte conversion, I have same power and better economy on the v6 which was also a contributing factor in why I chose the 3vzfe....

I know I will get some 3sgte purest, and alltrac purest peoples nose out of joint and I don't intend to offend, as I also like the 3sgte......... BUT it is not the ONLY option........

and I am not in any means just going to do what everyone else would like me to do or what would be logical to do, time to push the envelope further then the normal, and to be honest this swap is relatively easy, nothing massively complicated about it, the difference is that it is in itself Different and out of the norm, and for me that is the appeal of it..... that and I have already done it so can adapt it to work in a different configuration.....

de_engineered

fibrewizard":3v0c6k9r said:
but as for a manual...... mods are needed, I am researching and will be seeing if I can swap rav transfer case onto the camry 5 speed manual, making a v6 awd transmission as apposed to using a 4cylinder transmission........ keep following because I will be answering these questions as I progress in my build..........

Here's another guy in Oz who did a 3VZ-FE swap in his RAV4 (or did you mean a more modern V6 2GR-FE RAV4?).

Iirc, the transmissions are the same on the outside, just different grades and gearing across the different Trac models, possibly all 4WD Toyotas of the era.

I had to custom make y-pipe for the v6 in the FWD celica,

as for the 4wd, the rear bank manifold, contacts the transfer case, so custom manifolds are necessary

Do you think cutting the heat shielding and maybe kinking the pipe would do it? I'm less concenred about performance, more just for the sake of passing visual inspection. I can throw on some custom deal after that's signed off, and drop back to stock as needed for smog.

Going over some of your pictures, my own and others on the web has made me appreciate what's involved with getting the block out of the way of the transmission and vice versa.

fibrewizard

Do you think cutting the heat shielding and maybe kinking the pipe would do it? I'm less concenred about performance, more just for the sake of passing visual inspection. I can throw on some custom deal after that's signed off, and drop back to stock as needed for smog.

Going over some of your pictures, my own and others on the web has made me appreciate what's involved with getting the block out of the way of the transmission and vice versa.

the 4wd transmission will not fit with 3vzfe stock rear exhaust manifold, custom or modification to manifold is needed....

fibrewizard

actually from what I have read recently the front Manifold can be used on the rear bank, to change direction of exhaust, and clearing the transfer case, so I will be investigating this option......

de_engineered

fibrewizard":8dy3vdu5 said:
thanks for the rav 4 3vzfe blog.... appreciated...
Welcome kindly.

fibrewizard":8dy3vdu5 said:
actually from what I have read recently the front Manifold can be used on the rear bank, to change direction of exhaust, and clearing the transfer case, so I will be investigating this option......
Now I wana monkey around the local junk yard, swap manifolds on one of the cars and see what kind of clearance it gives. Hope the pan doesn't get in the way then.

If we want to get really silly though, there *is* always flipping the y-pipe 180 with the manifolds, and maybe routing the exhaust up and out like a diesel stack, lolz.

fibrewizard

lol, yeah I was originally planning to bring rear bank exhaust horizontal and bring it over transmission to front right corner where battery usually is......

but that will be very close to distributor, so I was going to change to a individual coil pack....... but that hadn't got much further then thought............

I have both transmissions here, a gt4 transmission and the e53 camry 5 speed.....
id love for the transfer case to bolt straight into the camry box, and from what I have read it wont be too difficult....... so stay tuned,

I have begun to teardown my st184, and transfer what parts are needed to gt4, eg. parker lenses, bumper, carlos sainz bonnet/hood, etc,

will post up some pics.....

not me in pic, but that is my son helping out.....

o9WdV6r.jpg

L5enf2m.jpg

fmBl9hQ.jpg

T09Ma83.jpg