Quick & Easy Door Switch Repair.

FC Zach

I have been dealing with a faulty set of door switches since I bought my Celica. I have cleaned/lubricated both but only had positive results on the left side. Today I snatched a couple from a local junk yard as well as a Passenger side seat belt. I replaced the switch while I had the trim off to replace the belt but unfortunately that switch was also faulty. . .

Determined to fix the issue while I was motivated, I disassembled one of the extra switches. I found the issue to be with corrosion on the plate that the 6mm screw goes through.
IMG_20150629_172140_278.jpg

Disassembling isn't necessary if you have a small file, just insert between the plate and the plunger thing like this:
IMG_20150629_171705_281.jpg

Test (door open):
IMG_20150629_180509_221.jpg

Although this worked great for me there is a chance that it may not for others because I noticed on the second switch I disassembled that the contact point on the plunger thing had worn off completely.

Numbchux

Brand-new aftermarket ones are not expensive, either.

I usually encourage a little refurbish, but mine were far beyond a little cleaning.

yyonline

I vaguely recall a Toyota TSB saying that they redesigned these switches at some point to make them more durable. I can't find it now though. When I bought my Celica ST in 2002, the switches weren't working. I replaced them shortly after and the replacement switches are still working fine today. The factory parts are still available and not terribly expensive either. I ordered a pair for the all-trac from Toyota_Todd for cheaper than I could find aftermarket ones. And well, they're still in the box they shipped in...waiting for a nice sunny day for me to install them...along with a few hundred other parts I ordered.