The White '88 Alltrac Camry 3S-GE BEAMS swap

Talk about your project car here

Re: The White '88 Alltrac Camry 3S-GE BEAMS swap

Postby CSAlltrac » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Do want! Nice job man. It looks factory
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby phattyduck » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:45 pm

CTechBlueDragon wrote:Yeah!! Awesome first start is the best feeling!
Can you explain why the relay? I am having trouble getting my starter wiring figured out myself. It clicked a couple times then now it wont do jack, not sure if I got everything wired right inside the cabin. I need help! lol
Way to go, every little annoying adjustment and grind down and tweak will all be worth it when your rolling!
So many little adjustments! Its so nice when you finally have it all in place. My 3s-gte Alltrac Camry has been perfect for the last ~30k miles or so... :D

As for the starter wiring, I bet the Celicas have the same issue... The starter solenoid needs lots of power/voltage to fully engage and turn on the starter motor. This is just an extra relay that pulls power directly from the battery and helps with that problem. Here's the Toyotanation writeup on it: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/102-1 ... relay.html

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby athousandleaves » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:03 pm

phattyduck wrote:As for the starter wiring, I bet the Celicas have the same issue... The starter solenoid needs lots of power/voltage to fully engage and turn on the starter motor. This is just an extra relay that pulls power directly from the battery and helps with that problem. Here's the Toyotanation writeup on it: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/102-1 ... relay.html

Indeed we do... viewtopic.php?p=298170#p298170

As always fantastic work Charlie, I'm counting the days till I can do the first start on my camry's swap now too... exciting times :twisted:
1992 Red GT-FOUR RC 626•1800
1992 White turbo4WD
athousandleaves
Established Member

Postby BonzaiCelica » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Cool stuff you got going on. Did you see the private message I sent you
BonzaiCelica

Postby phattyduck » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:27 pm

BonzaiCelica wrote:Cool stuff you got going on. Did you see the private message I sent you
I did now! For some reason, I never get emails notification when I get a PM (yes, I have the option to email me turned on...).

-charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby BonzaiCelica » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:09 am

Hi Charlie. I wrote to you again. Hope you can get back to me
BonzaiCelica

Postby BonzaiCelica » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Would you have time for me to stop by to check out your setup
BonzaiCelica

Postby phattyduck » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:39 pm

A friend trailered the car down to his house (yay, 6 car garage, lift and welder...) and we got to work on the exhaust yesterday.

First, you can see the clearance that we were working with for the BEAMS header to the transfer case. You can tell the exhaust would just go right through where the transfer case is on this car.

Here the stock exhaust tacked up to front section of the BEAMS b-pipe. Sorry, no pictures of it back on the car. It looks like an exhaust. :P

From there, I drove the ~30 miles home, problem free. Cruise control works, the AC works, the sunroof works (and is surprisingly quiet at freeway speeds!), it even shifts pretty well for a 175k mile transmission... The cat-back on the car is already 'upgraded' so the exhaust note isn't the greatest (think quiet Civic exhaust with a little rasp). Decent power (yeah, I've been ruined by the 3s-gte) and loves to rev.

Now it needs one heck of an interior cleaning!

-Charlie
Last edited by phattyduck on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby Silky Smooth » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:38 am

I love what you've done. I'm also wanting to put the redtop in my Corolla alltrac with an st205 transmission. I read on the 6gcelica site that a guy had to grind the block on his gen. 3 3sge to get it to fit over the transfer case of his st205. I read in your post that you said it fit. But I just want to ask. did you have to grind the block at all to get it to mate with your transmission? You obviously have an earlier model transmission. If the redtop fits on your transmission, do you think it will also mate to the st205 without any interference?

If anybody else has put the redtop and st205 together, I'd love to hear how yours fit.
1989 Corolla Alltrac Sedan. 4afe planning a BEAMS redtop swap
2010 Volkswagon CC
Silky Smooth

1989 Toyota Corolla

Postby phattyduck » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:47 pm

No grinding at all needed. Any 3s (fe, ge, gte) block should bolt up to any of the AWD manual transmissions. You can see in a few of the photos that the E56F trans has the same casting for the transfer case as the ST205 - in fact, all the vacuum actuated center diff lock stuff makes much more room above the transfer case than an ST205 box. This BEAMS motor even had all the mounting locations drilled and tapped for the two transfer case stiffeners. The 5s block that came out of the car, on the other hand, was missing some mounting bosses and had to get ground down to clear the transfer case.

-Charlie
Last edited by phattyduck on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby Silky Smooth » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks you for the response duck. That sounds even better than I was hoping for.
1989 Corolla Alltrac Sedan. 4afe planning a BEAMS redtop swap
2010 Volkswagon CC
Silky Smooth

1989 Toyota Corolla

Postby CTechBlueDragon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:08 am

I just fired up my 215 swap for the first time I am so happy!!! Time to revive the swapped Camry thread! I would make my own but I never keep up on that kinda thing. lol
CTechBlueDragon
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:35 pm

CTechBlueDragon wrote:I just fired up my 215 swap for the first time I am so happy!!! Time to revive the swapped Camry thread! I would make my own but I never keep up on that kinda thing. lol
I've been pretty bad at keeping things updated recently too - The car has been smogged. Tomorrow morning, I'll be getting a VIN problem fixed and hopefully it will be actually be legal to drive on the streets. Gotta love it when the title has a VIN that doesn't match the car - but the car isn't legal to drive on the street to go get updated/verified because the registration is out of date. :doh:

-Charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby Awesome-Trac » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:42 pm

phattyduck wrote:
CTechBlueDragon wrote:I just fired up my 215 swap for the first time I am so happy!!! Time to revive the swapped Camry thread! I would make my own but I never keep up on that kinda thing. lol
I've been pretty bad at keeping things updated recently too - The car has been smogged. Tomorrow morning, I'll be getting a VIN problem fixed and hopefully it will be actually be legal to drive on the streets. Gotta love it when the title has a VIN that doesn't match the car - but the car isn't legal to drive on the street to go get updated/verified because the registration is out of date. :doh:

-Charlie

Can't you get the one day pass from the DMV
-1988 Celica Alltrac (white) Sold
-1988 Celica Alltrac (black) new project
-1990 Corolla sedan (sky blue) totalled by my brother :(
-1990 Celica GT-S hatchback (sky blue) daily driver

•Daniel
Awesome-Trac
Established Member

Postby phattyduck » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Awesome-Trac wrote:
phattyduck wrote:

-Charlie

Can't you get the one day pass from the DMV
Yup. Already did, though I did it through AAA, of course. Get there at 9am, out of the door by 9:10am... hopefully the VIN inspection/correction goes as fast tomorrow.

I had an issue when I started the title transfer process when I bought the car - I knew the VIN was wrong and (somewhat stupidly) wanted to correct it at the time of title transfer. Of course, without the car there, they can't verify the VIN and correct the title. I had to go to the next AAA office to start the process over and not tell them to start the title transfer. Sadly, its now 2 1/2 years later and here I am again. At least this time I can bring the car in to get the error fixed.

-Charlie
phattyduck
Established Member

PreviousNext

Return to My Project