FC Zach's AllTrac

FC Zach

msanders2":2qaol27s said:
Well, I'll have you know my fender roller just showed up on my door step today. I'm in West Georgia and have a shop with lifts. If you wanted to make a trip down we could roll your fenders.

I had planned on going to Mazmart for a rotary gathering in Chamblee, GA this coming weekend but that has changed since I haven't completed the tune on my RX7. I considered taking the Celica also but it's just not gonna happen, the offer is greatly appreciated though. . Thanks!

I have access to a roller but I'm afraid to use it in fear I will distort the panel and/or crack paint. I would much rather give it a go than continue to rub tires from every bump in the road. I've been told to apply "some" heat to the area with a heat gun to prevent paint damage.

FC Zach

CMS-GT4":3340ukas said:
I sure do miss the Dragon. If we ever get the car down that way maybe I see if you and the others want to do a mini meet.

That would be fun, I would enjoy that. Depending on the weekend (if I'm off from work) this could happen :)

FC Zach

Big thanks to Redswan for sharing info about which rotors to use in place of ST205 pieces for the 205 caliper install! More info on that here http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=50455&p=469181#p469181, I had searched many threads for information and no one ever shared that info. About two months ago I purchased a pair of crossdrilled/slotted IS300 rotors from RockAuto for a pretty good price to complete my Big brake kit. Previously I ordered a stainless brake line kit from Klue.
IMG_3752.jpg
IMG952923.jpg

In the mean time I have been waiting on a friend to drill the rotors, he finally got to them today. Starting this week hopefully, I plant to start this mounting these.
IMG_20150227_091436_529.jpg

msanders2

FC Zach":1w7hiugd said:
msanders2":1w7hiugd said:
Well, I'll have you know my fender roller just showed up on my door step today. I'm in West Georgia and have a shop with lifts. If you wanted to make a trip down we could roll your fenders.

I had planned on going to Mazmart for a rotary gathering in Chamblee, GA this coming weekend but that has changed since I haven't completed the tune on my RX7. I considered taking the Celica also but it's just not gonna happen, the offer is greatly appreciated though. . Thanks!

I have access to a roller but I'm afraid to use it in fear I will distort the panel and/or crack paint. I would much rather give it a go than continue to rub tires from every bump in the road. I've been told to apply "some" heat to the area with a heat gun to prevent paint damage.

I'm not going to lie to you, I'm actually pretty terrified to roll the fenders on my alltrac. My paint and body are in excellent condition so I really don't want to mess up the fenders, or have cracked paint. On the other hand, I don't want to pay someone to come over and slip up and mess up my car. I'm going to do it my self because I know I'll take my time and do it right. Hopefully lol I'm going to practice on some junk cars first lol

FC Zach

msanders2":28t5dj01 said:
On the other hand, I don't want to pay someone to come over and slip up and mess up my car. I'm going to do it my self because I know I'll take my time and do it right. Hopefully lol I'm going to practice on some junk cars first lol

My thoughts exactly! The only difference is that I don't have a junk car to practice on. . . I'll be borrowing this tool from a friend that owns a shop (Gage Performance) and has done this a couple times so I'll hopefully be under wise supervision. I'll share any dos/don'ts that I may run into if before you attempt yours.

msanders2

FC Zach":2x01ckts said:
msanders2":2x01ckts said:
On the other hand, I don't want to pay someone to come over and slip up and mess up my car. I'm going to do it my self because I know I'll take my time and do it right. Hopefully lol I'm going to practice on some junk cars first lol

My thoughts exactly! The only difference is that I don't have a junk car to practice on. . . I'll be borrowing this tool from a friend that owns a shop (Gage Performance) and has done this a couple times so I'll hopefully be under wise supervision. I'll share any dos/don'ts that I may run into if before you attempt yours.

Awesome! I'll standby

Hey are you going to use the 205 rotors when your done? I could probably use them on the camry with the 205 front calipers I still have. I hear you have a little more ball joint clearance on the camry compared to the celica. Hopefully wont need a spacer behind the rotor. Can I buy those back from you? lol

FC Zach

CTechBlueDragon":rj01vznz said:
Can I buy those back from you? lol

Yes you can! I have them boxed and ready to ship already, I'll pull them out from storage this afternoon.

Great! I'll probably pay you at the end of the week.
Keep up the good work man. Let me know how the fender rolling goes it looks like I'll be having that adventure soon. It really would be a shame to mess up some 25 year old paint that still looks great other than all the dings and stuff, that don't bother me much, leaving the original paint keeps me from having a heart attack every-time someone door dings it at the store... They sure did a good job on some of these older cars. I guess buying a heat gun is probably a must? I know next to nothing about it so I hope I can learn something from you and the other guys experiences. :shrug:

Redswan

FC Zach":3uvfcvcd said:
Big thanks to Redswan for sharing info about which rotors to use in place of ST205 pieces for the 205 caliper install! More info on that here http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=50455&p=469181#p469181, I had searched many threads for information and no one ever shared that info. About two months ago I purchased a pair of crossdrilled/slotted IS300 rotors from RockAuto for a pretty good price to complete my Big brake kit. Previously I ordered a stainless brake line kit from Klue.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

In the mean time I have been waiting on a friend to drill the rotors, he finally got to them today. Starting this week hopefully, I plant to start this mounting these.

Flag to help let meknow if you need any other help or advice.

Redswan

Oh yeah and what was this roof canoe post I saw somewhere? Ar e you sure you don't need a rear glass/ el Camino mod too?

FC Zach

Redswan":3kzfret3 said:
Oh yeah and what was this roof canoe post I saw somewhere? Ar e you sure you don't need a rear glass/ el Camino mod too?

:lol: it's a versatile car, if it were to flip on to water then I'll have myself a boat! :smokes:

FC Zach

msanders2":2vw74qi7 said:
FC Zach":2vw74qi7 said:
msanders2":2vw74qi7 said:

Awesome! I'll standby

I rolled the pinch welds on the rear quarters today and all went well! Three tools were used: Heat gun, IR temp gun, and of course the roller. This is the exact roller I used:
456652_x800.jpg
p44491f.jpg

The important tip my friend who owns the roller gave me was to heat the area to 120* (I took my time with the heat gun and slowly applied heat to an area to avoid cooking the paint), while using the IR temp gun to get to that temp. I had the tool mounted before this point to prevent the area from cooling if I hadn't already done so. He also told me to take my time by slowly rolling the lip to also help avoid cracking the paint. As the roller does it's thing, you'll need to periodically adjust the angle of the roller wheel and the angle of the arm (by rotating the "pressure screw" to keep adequate pressure on the outer edges of the pinch welds). Once the lip started to roll, I had to adjust the height as well as readjusting the angle of the roller wheel throughout the process. I started in the center of the well, working my way down on each side of the well.

I tested the results immediately after by filling the tank up and taking a long curve as fast as I felt comfortable doing and did it without rubbing! :shock:

FC Zach

CTechBlueDragon":q9broply said:
Let me know how the fender rolling goes it looks like I'll be having that adventure soon. It really would be a shame to mess up some 25 year old paint that still looks great other than all the dings and stuff, that don't bother me much, leaving the original paint keeps me from having a heart attack every-time someone door dings it at the store... They sure did a good job on some of these older cars. I guess buying a heat gun is probably a must? I know next to nothing about it so I hope I can learn something from you and the other guys experiences. :shrug:

Important detail I should mention as a disclaimer. . . My paint is not original (was repainted by a previous owner at some point) and although not fresh I would venture to say it's more elastic than 23+ year old original paint. So with that being said, results may vary. . Hope that's not the case but I feel it should be mentioned.

msanders2

Awesome! Glad to hear it went well! My rpf1's will be here tomorrow and I'm getting tires this week or next so I'll be rolling my fenders too! Everywhere I read said heat up to 200* you say you did 120*?

FC Zach

I still haven't got around to mounting the 205 front calipers as I've been waiting for a good time to go to my friend's place who has a mill for me to use for the removal of material from the caliper mounting ears but in the meantime I've picked up some coil-overs and 205 rear brakes from a local. Hope to install these soon, pics to come :D

FC Zach

This took me a while but I finally finished making centering rings for the rotors. I hammered aluminum rings to exactly 55mm OD and honed the center to exactly 54.1mm.
IMG_20150812_080018_011.jpg

Painted calipers with semi gloss black hi temp paint.
IMG_20150812_075745_983.jpg

And done! (well only after using BFH to mend the dust shield) I finally got to install my new braided lines I picked up from Klue.
IMG_20150812_092119_948.jpg

Now to start on the front :)