Power Steering Pump & Hose Repair

Rick89GTS

Just had another custom PS hose made up. For reference, the length of the hose is 16-5/8" (Measured from the outside edge of each crimp fitting, but not including the OEM brass hexagon end and banjo fittings.)

This is the breakdown of costs in $Canadian dollars:
$4.40: 2 x crimp ferrule ends
$3.47: 1 x 16.5" 2600 PSI single-wire reinforced hose
$6.60: 2 X labour charge to attach/crimp the hose ends
---------
$14.47 total, not including tax. The ST162/165 PS jobber hose is about $80 here in Canada. Talk about a price gouge!
74.jpg

wow, all your hydraulic shops dont charge that much for this kinda stuff. i just recently had mine done also and gotten a few quotes from 3 different shops. they all seem to fall into the 60 to 75 dollars range. yes, i paid 60 us dollars to get mine done. the hose crimping job only took about 10 mins. but, ill agree. it was a b%&$h tackling this job with the engine still intact.

bridge47

Just wanted to say....your method of repair is illuminating. I deal with hyd. hoses for all sorts of equipment, and this method stands to save me money. And I know a good crimper whose jobber hoses haven't failed yet. Now I'll be taking my hoses/old fittings to him. Hate having to wait for some fitting. And new ones are often slightly different on fit up.

This is a "10" on the ingenious scale. Props to you!

Rick89GTS

^Thanks for the kudos :)
I originally did this b/c I was so fed up with the damn leaking PS hose problem, but yes, it saves money too.

I'm just surprised that it cost celicast184 US$60 - $75, everything is usually much cheaper in the USA.

TRDTurko

I will be doing this as soon as I take my old engine out for my second gen swap. sucked having the ps leak on my breaks!

88gt4DE

I'm having this problem yet again ... I gotta get with ya Rick here at some point on this special hose ...

underscore

Is this hose the common leak point? PS fluid is the only leak left in my RC and I want to be done with it!

underscore

Rick89GTS":35z2cwjg said:
^Yup. I think almost everyone here has had to replace it sooner or later.

Cool, I'll be fixing that next winter if it's as big of a pain to do with the engine in as you guys say. Thanks!

not12listen

bringing this one back from the dead.

my wife's alltrac is having the same f'n issue. i'll be pulling off the hose this weekend and getting it replaced asap.

i'll post my results and pricing. if this shops prices are good, we could get something going for other people that are having the same issue.

Rick89GTS

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on this site for a while.
I don''t know the part number of the ferrules off-hand but I will have a look to see if I still have the invoice.
I think they'd be pretty generic though and would vary according to the shop/supplier.
The important parts are the factory ends fittings.

not12listen

so, i dropped off the factory hose yesterday. i got it back today.

IMG_20150721_184249_zpsnodrw1it.jpg

IMG_20150721_184300_zpsivdtolra.jpg

IMG_20150721_184313_zpsw4e7p5xs.jpg

4800 PSI rating!

when i talked with the shop owner, his recommendation for the quickest turn-around time is:
1. supply a hose with the identical fittings (trying to source the ends is a pain for him apparently - and custom fabbing them would increase the cost A LOT).
2. $50 for the whole process (that does NOT count shipping TO HIM or BACK TO YOU).
3. again, you supply the hose fittings, he does the labor.
4. roughly 24 hour turn around time.

the banjo end was painted silver afterwards. no biggie. he prefers the 4800 PSI rated hose, as it creates a better seal when the hose ends are clamped in place.

i can pass along the name of the shop (with the phone number, etc) if anyone wishes to contact the owner directly and setup shipping, payment direct, etc.

i cannot be a middle man - my work schedule is very hectic and i have a newborn son.

i'll be installing this sucker in the next few days. :)

----

one small addition. did a quick bit of research. the factory power steering setup pushes around 1140psi. so, having a hose that can deal with 4800 psi (over 4 times the amount of pressure), the chances that it'll leak are pretty minimal. :)

Rick89GTS

not12listen":439r0rsk said:
....the factory power steering setup pushes around 1140psi. so, having a hose that can deal with 4800 psi (over 4 times the amount of pressure), the chances that it'll leak are pretty minimal. :)
Awesome. Nice job on your custom PS hose.
Glad to know that even the single-braid hose can stand 2600 psi, or more than double what the factory pushes out.
Interesting that the 4800 psi hose forms a better seal but I can see why now that you mention it.
Thanks for the info!

not12listen

Rick89GTS":1fzq6iuk said:
not12listen":1fzq6iuk said:
....the factory power steering setup pushes around 1140psi. so, having a hose that can deal with 4800 psi (over 4 times the amount of pressure), the chances that it'll leak are pretty minimal. :)
Awesome. Nice job on your custom PS hose.
Glad to know that even the single-braid hose can stand 2600 psi, or more than double what the factory pushes out.
Interesting that the 4800 psi hose forms a better seal but I can see why now that you mention it.
Thanks for the info!

thanks. :) it isn't installed yet... but will be this weekend - when the weather is cooler.

agreed! the 4800PSI is overkill, but i am a fan of overkill. :)

the 4800PSI hose has 2 layers of braided steel, when the new hose is crimped onto fittings, the 2nd layer of braided steel allows for a better seal apparently.

i'll be overdoing it as i usually do... i'll be applying a light coating of Gorilla Glue to each surface that fluid would pass near prior to installation - on the threads of the high pressure hose, along with the fitment on the low pressure side and the hose that goes into that fitment.

i'll take some photos of what i'm talking about, as my verbal description might be poor.

not12listen

underscore":2pj4sm3k said:
not12listen":2pj4sm3k said:
the 4800PSI is overkill, but i am a fan of overkill. :)

As I often say, overkill is underrated.

hah! we'd get along great. :)

my Gen1 3SGE AW11 has a somewhere between 7 and 8 quart oil change. :) it has the Moroso oil pan from an SW20 turbo and an oil bypass kit... ARP head studs, Cometic MLS head gasket... and a bunch of other small bits. :)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/20-mr ... -aw11.html