RC Intercooler on ST165

Awesome-Trac

Has any one seen or attempt to install a 185RC Intercooler on a ST165 1st Gen 3SGTE? I've attempted the ST205 on a 1st gen but with zero successes

3SDNA

I have tried this install on my 165, as I have an RC intercooler, but the angle of the throttle body is different than on the ST185's, as is the turbo side. I am running an ST185 setup from the exhaust manifold to the down pipe, and the RC intercooler lines up there nicely, but the throttle body side is still at an angle I am not comfortable with. Im sure you could modify the throttle body side, but I would rather not cut up a rare part like this. Also, the PCV hard line coming from the valve cover towards the driver side will hit the bottom side of the cooler. That will have to be modified as well.

I think the best bolt on method would be to use an intake manifold/throttle body, exhaust manifold, and turbo setup from an ST185. Then the cooler should fit up nicely. Or just do an engine swap! :D

Attachments

• WP_20150716_003.jpg
    WP_20150716_003.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 1,408
  • WP_20150716_004.jpg
    WP_20150716_004.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 1,408
  • WP_20150716_005.jpg
    WP_20150716_005.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 1,408

Awesome-Trac

3SDNA":2pf4spsc said:
I have tried this install on my 165, as I have an RC intercooler, but the angle of the throttle body is different than on the ST185's, as is the turbo side. I am running an ST185 setup from the exhaust manifold to the down pipe, and the RC intercooler lines up there nicely, but the throttle body side is still at an angle I am not comfortable with. Im sure you could modify the throttle body side, but I would rather not cut up a rare part like this. Also, the PCV hard line coming from the valve cover towards the driver side will hit the bottom side of the cooler. That will have to be modified as well.

I think the best bolt on method would be to use an intake manifold/throttle body, exhaust manifold, and turbo setup from an ST185. Then the cooler should fit up nicely. Or just do an engine swap! :D

Thank you for the quick reply, looks like we both failed on installing those types of intercoolers! I tried converting the ST205 but failed due to the same problems you have ran into as well. Looks like the only why we can ever use them properly is to convert over :cry:

88st165

I have both the 185rc and 205 TMIC cores. I also have a twin entry ct26 conversion on my 165 engine which offers more room since the turbo is a bit farther away and still neither of those intercoolers will fit properly imo. I started to modify the 205 core by cutting the inlet to weld it in the correct orientation but have not completed the modifications yet. There is information out there about a member successfully doing this conversion but I haven't revisited the post in a while.

saved_1992

88st165":2byzg4v5 said:
I have both the 185rc and 205 TMIC cores. I also have a twin entry ct26 conversion on my 165 engine which offers more room since the turbo is a bit farther away and still neither of those intercoolers will fit properly imo. I started to modify the 205 core by cutting the inlet to weld it in the correct orientation but have not completed the modifications yet. There is information out there about a member successfully doing this conversion but I haven't revisited the post in a while.

Good read
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2136