What are guys doing when their front seats are shot?

BlackDragon

I'm looking at a couple cars, and it seems that split and ripped front seats is a common occurrence. So what are you guys doing? Changing out seats with another model? getting reupholstered? If so, by whom?

I could do it myself if I could find a kit, but it seems they are all discontinued. I know a pro who ballparked 400 a seat for leather and 225 for cloth, which will be worst case scenario.

I have to factor this in, because if I have to shell out 800 right away, it'll affect what I'm doing. Thanks for the help

FC Zach

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to have mine reupholstered locally, not sure what the damage is going to be but at this point I don't have much of a choice in the matter since like you said, there are no kits available. I keep putting it off with hopes of coming across a pair for sale. I keep an eye out for other members selling good NOS/aftermarket kits they've been holding on to but every time I'm late to the party :(

BlackDragon

And it figures the car I like the most has leather seats that can't be sit in without risk of getting a spring in your crack. :shrug:

FC Zach

I currently have cloth non AllTrac seats shoehorned in place till I get the original leather seats recovered, I absolutely hate this since the tracks are in a bind and adjusting the seats are a PITA.

Lamont

I had mine redone with the eBay kit that was available a few years back:

I am currently trying to find a decent set of cloth seats so these might go up for sale if I can get cloth replacements.

Street_Chally73

Leatherseats.com should carry the leather covers...I know that their kits for 3000GTs/Stealths (3/S) have been made of quality leather & people seem to be happy with them.

N8wrx

I used an importer and got some cloth JDM St185 seats, with the low mileage they put on there cars they usually have great interiors.

GT4times2

Street_Chally73":1yjx2onf said:
Leatherseats.com should carry the leather covers...I know that their kits for 3000GTs/Stealths (3/S) have been made of quality leather & people seem to be happy with them.

Has anyone here used them?

FC Zach

If they do quality work for the price, it's cheaper than what I was quoted. For the combo I chose (100% leather w/ perforated inserts) the price came to $1424. Locally, I was quoted $1500-2000.

I may go this route but I too would like to know if anyone has done business with them before. .

CMS-GT4

N8wrx":1ng0hsnn said:
I used an importer and got some cloth JDM St185 seats, with the low mileage they put on there cars they usually have great interiors.

Who did you use? I had been wanting to get some of the darker jdm cloths to go with my recaros.

GT4times2

FC Zach":2lf5fbg9 said:
If they do quality work for the price, it's cheaper than what I was quoted. For the combo I chose (100% leather w/ perforated inserts) the price came to $1424. Locally, I was quoted $1500-2000.

I may go this route but I too would like to know if anyone has done business with them before. .

I checked and got quoted $749. What did you add that brought yours up so high? I'm also curious when selecting Celica (coupe option, not convertible), if they are talking about All Trac and GT-S seats or plain Celica seats. Keep me informed with what you find. I will do the same. I'm trying to get er' done. As soon as possible.

FC Zach

Originally I chose 100% leather with perforated center sections but I got to thinking and realized that I really don't need them to be all leather so I changed it to vinal and leather with perforated centers. . That got the price down to what you quoted.

I wonder the same about the coupe/not convertible w/ leather option. . I'll be sure to call them ahead of time before placing an order, when I'm ready to. Let me know what you find.

corax

I pulled a set of FWD '87 Celica GTS seats for my ST165. They're cloth, but I prefer that anyway. The GTS seat tracks are also 1 inch wider than the ST165, but the cushions are the same - simple fix, pull the plastic side trim and rear panel off the stock seats, 4 bolts for the seat back, 4 bolts for the bottom, undo 5 hog-rings from the bottom of the seat back, swap the slider /recliner frames from the original seats, reassemble.

This is what I had originally
IMG_8437_zpsjsqin60r.jpg

This is what I'm swapping in right now - these are the FWD Celica GTS seats, it's the same design just in fabric.
11992265_10205508143356104_1388666573_n_zpsz12f6fax.jpg