Radiator Fan not working

celica st165

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why my radiator fan isn't working? I changed, the water pump, timing belt and all the other parts. But now my fan won't turn on, i tried to connect it straight on the battery and it works, but not when connected like it should..

Please help me :D

Pechin0351

Did you check the sensor on the bottom passenger side of the radiator? That sensor controls when the rad fan comes on. There is also a relay and fuse to check...

Pechin0351

Ok well at the risk of backwards instructions... I believe if the sensor is shorted (no resistance) then your radiator fan will not come on... When I got my car the plug side of that sensor had been twisted internally and the wires shorted causing the fan not to come on...

celica st165

i placed another sensor, but still nothing, so i think the wires are bad. Is there a way to test it? Connect both wires together maybe?

Pechin0351

Well, without taking the entire circuit into consideration, you could take a multimeter and test the connector on the wiring harness side and see if there is any resistance, if you get zero ohms then most likely there is a short... Have you checked your relay yet to see if it is operating properly? You can put a little jumper wire in place of the relay and see if the fan cranks on that will atleast give you an idea of where to start fixing things... But with the relay if you apply 12v and it clicks then most likely its good I would also make sure that your contacts in your fan plug are clean, as well as the water temp sensor in the radiator...

celica st165

problem solved, bought 2 brand new relay's but seems that one is bad and that was the problem.

Fan now works just fine, let's hope it keeps going fine...

88gt4DE

Im now having similar issues ... Only poked around with it a little on the road. unplugged the water temp sensor at bottom of radiator so I could get her home. Stays cool on the highway just fine but the radiator fan wont turn on when it heats up at idle. Already replaced water temp sensor in radiator. Going to check fan and replace relays next and see what happens ... :shrug:

zaluss

Awesome-Trac":29gdgnli said:
Thread Revive: do you guys know which relay controls the radiator fan? I see a AC fan and fan relay 1 and relay 2

Top fusebox (3SFE and 3SGTE gen1 share the same fusebox). Radiator Fan Relay No.1

3sgeswap04.jpg~original

zaluss

Awesome-Trac":2txper0m said:
Is there anyway to jump the circuit to get the fans to turn on?

What are you trying to do? You can pull the plug on the coolant temp sensor on the bottom of the radiator. This will keep the fans constantly running.

Awesome-Trac

zaluss":3irjjaxi said:
Awesome-Trac":3irjjaxi said:

What are you trying to do? You can pull the plug on the coolant temp sensor on the bottom of the radiator. This will keep the fans constantly running.

So the fan in front of the car is running consistently dues to the coolent temp sensor But the fan inside the engine isn't turning on at all so as of right now only one fan is keeping the engine as cool as possible

zaluss

Awesome-Trac":2wavcl1a said:
zaluss":2wavcl1a said:
Awesome-Trac":2wavcl1a said:

So the fan in front of the car is running consistently dues to the coolent temp sensor But the fan inside the engine isn't turning on at all so as of right now only one fan is keeping the engine as cool as possible

Gotcha. Unplug the harness plug connected to the fan that isn't working and check for 12v at the harness with the key turned to ON with the coolant temp sensor unplugged. If there is no 12v, then you know its either a relay or wiring issue. If there is 12v, the fan is likely done.