St205 Rear Brake Swap St184 bolt on?

plourdem14

Hey guys I have a set of st205 rears and I assumed that they would be a bolt on mod for my st184? Upon installing them they seemed pretty tight. Meaning it was really hard to turn the wheel freely. I tried backing out of my garage and it felt like the e brake was on. Also we can rule out the ebrake because the rotors would spin freely until I installed the calipers. I'm fairly certain I installed the brakes correctly including the sheet metal centering ring. I got my brother to send me a picture of the rear end on his 185 and sure enough the rear hubs do not look identical.

TLDR

Has anyone swapped st205 rears on to a 184 or knows what it takes to do so? I spaced the calipers with two washers per bolt just out of curiosity and they seemed to fit perfectly. So if anyone has specs on how many mm I need to space the calipers that would be appreciated. If I can get numbers hopefully I will be able to get some spacers machined.

Thanks for the help

deecee

I didn't space the calipers for my st205 on st185 rear hub carriers. In fact, I've never heard of anyone having to space the rear st205 caliper when applying to the st185, so I'm not sure why you would need to for a st184. Pictures would help.

Muerz wrote a quick and simple piece on the rear caliper installation
http://turbocelica.nl/howto-st205rearbrakes.htm

Sticky brakes could be the result of you needing to adjust the handbrake pads properly.

Also, CelicaTech.com would probably give you more feedback as this is predominantly an all-trac forum

underscore

185 and 184 rear brakes are different, and the hubs are completely different given that one has an axle going through it and the other doesn't. You'll need to put the rotor and caliper on (no pads), measure the clearances on each side and sort out spacers of some sort to even things out.

plourdem14

DeeCee":53j2kq8y said:
I didn't space the calipers for my st205 on st185 rear hub carriers. In fact, I've never heard of anyone having to space the rear st205 caliper when applying to the st185, so I'm not sure why you would need to for a st184. Pictures would help.

Muerz wrote a quick and simple piece on the rear caliper installation
http://turbocelica.nl/howto-st205rearbrakes.htm

Sticky brakes could be the result of you needing to adjust the handbrake pads properly.

Also, CelicaTech.com would probably give you more feedback as this is predominantly an all-trac forum

Thanks yeah I find it really weird that there would be a difference from a184 to 185... I'm fairly confident I'm installing them right and the rotor didn't seem warped. Anyways I'll put it out on Celicatech, I just didn't know if anyone stills goes on there.

Also thanks for the tip underscore that sounds like a practical way to figure things out.

fussellbug

I know the ST185 brakes bolted directly onto my ST184, but the caliper brackets are longer on the AllTrac to accomodate the larger rotor. If you are using the ST184 caliper brackets, the caliper may sit too close to the rotor causing contact. You can get the ST185 caliper brackets at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts, so I would pull one of yours and go in to see the difference. Advance lists the ST185 bracket as Wearever Part No. 14-1314.

I can't guarantee this will fix it, but I think the bracket is your issue.