SkagTits165 ST205 GenIII 3SGTe into ST165 VERY PIC HEAVY

Seeing as how im home sick today, i will finally post my car build. Bought it in 2011 and at that time replaced all wheel bearings, seals, u-joints, drive-axles, brake pads and rotors, fuel pump, ct26, complete exhaust, torsen rear diff, teins, 5zigens,etc. Drove it for the year, parked for winter.
Next year upgraded intercooler setup to big RC intercooler and built new intake and small battery upgrade, aluminum rad, etc, etc, etc..$$$$$$$$$ never seems to end. Had failure in engine at end of summer and it sat until this spring 2015 when i had finally accrued enough funds to build proper engine; GenIII.

Bought engine/tranny from JDMSource in Calgary

Bought complete Oem gasket kit and many more parts. Broke engine down to rotating assembly. replaced every seal and gasket i could possibly get to. Had head go in to machine shop for a complete once over. A competent shop, but they have some newer dude that re-assembled my head and right fucked it up. Good thing i pay attention to minor details and didn't just install.

Do you see it? The valve keepers seemed odd looking on 3 valves, took them all apart to find the idiot must have dropped or lost some keepers, and found something close. He didn't tell anyone and put it all together. Guaranteed it would have spit a half out and piled up my motor. I cant seem to find the pictures showing the differences in keepers, but the lock ring was .5mm different in placement.

Then i find these marks/damage on 4 valves

Took about 4 hours to polish it to a good state. Sucks they are damaged forever.

Head on with arp studs and Oem HG

Because of head refresher, the valve adjustment was out on all but 1 valve. Looked everywhere i could think of, and most cost effective way was to order a complete shim kit. If anyone is in need, get a hold of me. The kit has every size shown in the BGB if i remember correctly.

Bully clutch supplied by member Klue. This thing never slips, and is super smooth

i wish that i took more pictures of the harness, because i dont the a picture of it completed. I wanted a really stock look under the bonnet, so i completely took the stock GenIII harness apart, and extended them through all the stock st165 locations. I used the st165 fuse box. I also ran 4 extra wires just for future consideration.

Stock st165 engine harness for proper measurements and pieces.

I'm an electrician by trade, so the wiring wasn't too tricky. Started up first try with no codes.

Ready for transplant

GenIII fit in very easily with mounts and stub shafts from GenI.

This time i told myself i would do an airbox

The cold air duct piece sandwiches the inner body through to the airbox on the other side with the same bolts, for a truly strong piece.

That's a full 4" inlet, to be finished later

had to relocate brackets for secondary fuse box. I rewired these relays inside for intercooler pump, starter relay mod, and fan control.

Bought a shitty parts car for various little bolts, relays, etc for $300

New hard lines for my big intercooler rad setup

I didn't want hoses leaking or coming off, so i made a tool to flare. worked awesome

Brand new master cylinder, and tank from red parts car

255lph fuel pump upgrade

Finally put in front and rear whiteline swaybars that i have had sitting for about 3 years

Built shroud for fan

Had wires built by a spark plug wire manufacturer in Vancouver, they are junk. Their v8 wires are awesome, but they cant make 3sgte wires. I had them make a set back in 2012, took them 3 tries to get them right. I thought id give them the benefit of the doubt this time, but never again. They pulled apart first time i took them out. And i do always use the grease on the rubber bits.

I got a full refund, then ordered a set off of RockAuto. $100 delivered

Ready for first start, only open down-pipe.

Started and ran great, just a few minor tweaks

Made the duct inlet for cold air inside bumper

Whilst building harness, i wired componentry to fit exactly where the st165 components were, and cut and welded brackets to fit GenIII , like fuel relay, resistors, coil pack, etc. Painted front whtieline strut brace black as well as stock brace.

Painted fno1`s flat green

Bought some eBay complete 3" exhaust, had to build this weird nut to make sure that the flanges mated perfectly tight from downpipe to 'B' pipe. Also had turbo faces machined months ago, as well as exhaust manifolds faces, and down-pipe faces.

I refused to cut any Oem braces that would hinder the full 3" exhaust, so i spent roughly 8 hours assembling all components, seeing where i could deform exhaust, dismantle, distort,bend,tweak, reassemble. It worked great. If i cut and re-welded certain sections under the seating area, i could gain 2 inches more ground clearance, but im ok with it.

Sittin pretty

Stained fog lights

Don't want a head unit for stereo, so built this piece. Top left is the horn button, bottom right USB charging ports. Beside the oil pressure gauge i have to mount my voltmeter ammeter unit whenever it shows up

Also did short shifter upgrade from 94 celica. My measurements gave me a 4inch throw now, instead of stock 5+inches

Turned the adjustable Tein camber adjusters 120 degrees to give me 1degree more castor. Made a world of difference. Turns in and oversteers very nicely now

Ready to roll

Lots more that i cant remember. But a very labour intensive few months
I love this motor

BYE BYE STI

zaluss

Nice to see another ST205 swapped ST165! I'm jelly of those Whiteline sway bars/strut brace.

Anymore info on the wheels? Also did you use the ST165 IC pump or the ST205 one? I wasn't able to get my stock boost gauge to work with the swap so I had to use an aftermarket gauge.

zaluss":3nbdyqrm said:
Nice to see another ST205 swapped ST165! I'm jelly of those Whiteline sway bars/strut brace.

Anymore info on the wheels? Also did you use the ST165 IC pump or the ST205 one? I wasn't able to get my stock boost gauge to work with the swap so I had to use an aftermarket gauge.

sweet gauge install

Running stock boost control until my ammeter for my intercooler pump shows up yields roughly 12psi in 1st and 2nd, about 14psi for the rest. Just waiting to install my MBC. With this setup i have pulled away from 2 new STI's off the line, granted that was only in 1st gear. We were in downtown traffic, and i think they were a little sad as neither one wanted another chance. I cant wait to crank up the boost

88st165

Great job on the swap! Did the machine shop take any responsibility for the damage? Crazy how you found the random valve keeper. I would have trusted it was done right after getting it back from the shop. Terrible that people pull that crap, don't provide what they are paid for, and try and get away with it. Keep up the good work!

I'm sad to say they didn't really do anything. I've been going to this shop for over 20 years, and know their quality is excellent. When i went in to talk to the owners, they were quite upset over it as its their name getting tarnished. I told them i want them to give whoever did it supreme shit. It is quite sad some peoples work ethic nowadays, its everywhere. That is why i do most jobs myself, and scrutinize/dissect the work done for me.

CMS-GT4

I was wondering what those bully clutches run? I just heard of them and am trying to do my research for my next one.

CMS-GT4":25hjq8ns said:
I was wondering what those bully clutches run? I just heard of them and am trying to do my research for my next one.

I honestly don't remember the cost. I know I never scoffed at Klue's price, it seemed reasonable. I do know that i have spent a lot of money on parts and goodies getting the motor together and back in. Not all the parts and additions were necessary for swap, but what the heck. It is a good place to waste money.

underscore

Nice work! Good catch on the head work, I don't trust machine shops at all but they're the only ones you can get to do some work.

Sorry i don't know what borderlands is, but now I'll have to look it up.
She's definitely not the prettiest set of tits out there, but i love her anyhow

A full day it took to fit. You cant really tell in the pictures, but i had to deform certain sections of the exhaust. I built a jig to hold the exhaust to bench, while i beat with rubber mallet. The largest deformity was maybe 2mm deep. When i first assembled pieces under car, i never thought that it would fit without cutting and welding, but it did. I had 2mm wood spacers to insert between the exhaust and the suspension/body where the clearances were tight. then as i tightened from front to back i would see where i needed to deform. It was quite the job

I built a new hanger to help hold the exhaust where i wanted it ahead of the rear suspension. The ss wire is holding up my driveshaft until the rear diff is back in.

I had to build the nut in this picture that would hold itself, as i couldn't get a wrench to hold it

zaluss

SkagTits165":2ul5qdi4 said:
A full day it took to fit. You cant really tell in the pictures, but i had to deform certain sections of the exhaust. I built a jig to hold the exhaust to bench, while i beat with rubber mallet. The largest deformity was maybe 2mm deep. When i first assembled pieces under car, i never thought that it would fit without cutting and welding, but it did. I had 2mm wood spacers to insert between the exhaust and the suspension/body where the clearances were tight. then as i tightened from front to back i would see where i needed to deform. It was quite the job

<Pics>

Oi. Maybe I'll be heading down to the exhaust shop afterall. I also inquired to Klue about a Bully clutch as it appears my ST205 swap needs one.