Does the 5S-GTE bolt up to the ST165 trans?

Killtodie

My friend is giving me his bottom end 5S with a 3S head.
I'm thinking of picking that up, and swapping over my accessories and dropping the engine in.

Its gonna use 5S pistons, and stay at stock boost levels with a Twin CT26. No planning to upgrade.

What doesnt bolt right up? Any modification required?

TRDTurko

Ive heard several times that the 5S block has clearance issues with the alltrac trans. You have to machine it to fit.

Killtodie

TRDTurko":m12ponbc said:
Ive heard several times that the 5S block has clearance issues with the alltrac trans. You have to machine it to fit.

that's the onyl thing I heard.

what about everything else? oil cooler, dizzy, power steering, etc

and does anyone know the compression with the 5s block and 3g head?

GT4_DRED

Killtodie":2sq6j6xl said:
My friend is giving me his bottom end 5S with a 3S head.
I'm thinking of picking that up, and swapping over my accessories and dropping the engine in.

Its gonna use 5S pistons, and stay at stock boost levels with a Twin CT26. No planning to upgrade.

What doesnt bolt right up? Any modification required?
Are you saying you'll be using oem 5s pistons? To be clear, you'll either need to use 5s bore stroker or 5s bore oversized 3s pistons, depending on which crank you use.

Killtodie

I want to know if I can slap on the 3SGTE head on a 5SGTE and keeps the 5Ss pistons. I realize that compression will drop, but I want to know if this is dooable.

I have a failing head gasket on my 3S, possible a warped head. I cannot afford any downtime, this is my only running car and I daily 70 miles.

My friend has a spare 5S shortblock, and a 3S head.
I've been told that the block needs to be ground to clear the transfer case, I am having a hardtime finding information on that.

IF the block can work with the head with the lower compression, what else is needed to make it work? What oil cooler to use that will clear the exhaust?

Locker

I think for your particular situation this is not the ideal fix for your car. The 5sgte is not exactly simple drop in for someone who needs very little downtime.

MWP

Killtodie":w14fnfl5 said:
other places talk about swapping pistons over and machining the crank, but no one has slapped on the head to a 5S shortblock

That's because no one is stupid enough to do that without doing all the other recommended work as well.
Boosting a 3SGTE head on a unmodified 5S block is quite a bad idea.

Smaay

look on the MR2 sites for mounting a 3S head on a 5S block. you need to use the 3S crank gear so the timing stays in tune. I believe you need a special head gasket. and maybe a few little odds and ends.

yes you need to grind material off the back of the 5S block to fit the transfer case. you will just have to try to mount it and see where its hitting and grid it down.

ChrisD

What Smaay said. But as others have said, probably there are better ways to do it long term.

Depending on what year 5S you may have to play with oil cooler setups, timing, etc. But with both engines there, you should be able to make it work.