Rear diff breather vent??

Rallly

Does the AllTrac have a different vent? Also when car is below -5c I am getting a loud whine from rear diff around 60km/h is this normal?

FC Zach

I get a loud whine from my car in cold weather too, I believe it's normal since I've seen others mention it also. Although I haven't pinpointed (I believe the transmission) where it is coming from I can say it does goes away once engine is at normal operating temperature.

deecee

i stand corrected:
165_07.jpg

corax

FC Zach":2szkh6dg said:
No driving the AllTrac through high water!

not so much a problem unless you stop and let it sit in high water - just about every diff of this style that I've serviced holds vacuum (I can pull the plug out and hear it gurgle as it pulls air into the diff) which means that breather can seal fairly well

Rallly

I just checked my rear diff vent and it seems the "hat" or cap part of it is missing and the little hole must be clogged with rust cuz I recently changed my diff oil and no sediments of fragments of metal where on the magnetic plug. Seems I have a slow leak in my rr axle diff seal:( Is this diff vent able to be changed while on the car? Seems all that's left is a nut like flange attached to the remaining body of the vent. I think I could get a socket on but not sure if I should leave it or what?

corax

Rallly":1omcobgc said:
Is this diff vent able to be changed while on the car? Seems all that's left is a nut like flange attached to the remaining body of the vent. I think I could get a socket on but not sure if I should leave it or what?

As long as you can get to it, it's just a matter of unscrewing it and putting a new one in. FWIW, it should be the same exact design and threads as anything Toyota from 1980-current - top of solid rear axle pickups, top of truck front diffs, any IRS RWD, etc - if you want to junkyard one. Or you could put a small piece of rubber tube on it and run it to a higher location, just put a universal plastic fuel filter or wrap a rag around the end to keep it from pulling dirt in.

Ghooble

The whining is very likely the pinion preload being loose. Mine was basically nonexistent. I swapped a 205 rear diff and rebuilt it. No more whining.

Rallly

Ghooble":y4ys88pu said:
The whining is very likely the pinion preload being loose. Mine was basically nonexistent. I swapped a 205 rear diff and rebuilt it. No more whining.

Is this serious? Sorry not to fond of diff's yet.

Ghooble

It's not like going to blow up your diff but it is an issue.

Basically it's the amount of torque it takes to turn your pinion. In your case it's most likely loose so it takes less torque to turn it which means the bearing is loose more or less.

It doesn't cost much to fix it yourself but it also doesn't cost much to drop the diff out and have a shop do it either.

From what I've read it's more of a nuisance than anything else.

-Ghooble