1026 GT-Four Normal Body

underscore

Quebec? At the current rate you'll be in Newfoundland soon.

I missed your earlier comment about lowering springs, I've got some Megan springs sitting in my garage collecting dust if you want them.

Corey

Lol right?!

I might take you up on that. The car has moved back down to the bottom of the priority list for a while though. The move out here wasn't cheap.

underscore

With insurance that steep I can see why, I'm actually surprised they'd let you insure it at all since I thought they banned new RHD vehicles from coming into Quebec. If I box them up and send them with Greyhound it should be pretty cheap, I can find out sometime this week what they'd cost to send if you like.

athousandleaves

If you have a secondary vehicle then look into Hagerty/Silver Wheels.

They will not insure anything RHD if its newer than 25yrs old.

I know that works in Ontario, not sure about Quebec...

I have heard of people getting reasonable rates though other national companies because they have multiple things insured so the company is willing to offer sane insurance on the car.

Wow that insurance is either ridiculously high or mine is low. I pay 3,600 a year for full coverage on a 2012 sti, 2013 brz, and my 1990 st185.

Corey

underscore":30ocqxz8 said:
With insurance that steep I can see why, I'm actually surprised they'd let you insure it at all since I thought they banned new RHD vehicles from coming into Quebec. If I box them up and send them with Greyhound it should be pretty cheap, I can find out sometime this week what they'd cost to send if you like.

SAAQ (ICBC basically but without the insurance - sorta :roll: ), didn't care at all that the car was RHD. So I got plates no problem. I just can't find a decent insurer for it.

Can you pm me some details on the springs? I'm interested but not ready to do anything with them.

athousandleaves":30ocqxz8 said:
If you have a secondary vehicle then look into Hagerty/Silver Wheels.

They will not insure anything RHD if its newer than 25yrs old.

I know that works in Ontario, not sure about Quebec...

I have heard of people getting reasonable rates though other national companies because they have multiple things insured so the company is willing to offer sane insurance on the car.

I did exactly that - I contacted Silver wheels in Ontario, and they directed me to the Quebec version. I thought I had finally found an insurer, my car met all the requirements for the Ontario Silver Wheels program. So I got the car appraised, a month later when Quebec silver wheels got the report, they said nope - its RHD, can't insure it under the program.

So that leaves two options - spend a fortune on full insurance via Intact and get sherlock numbers stamped on the car for about 400$, or spend still alot of money on useless insurance that doesn't cover collision/theft/fire, only liability. :bangshead: Why does QC have to be different.

Mr Alltrac":30ocqxz8 said:
Wow that insurance is either ridiculously high or mine is low. I pay 3,600 a year for full coverage on a 2012 sti, 2013 brz, and my 1990 st185.

Wow, yea insurance in Canada is all over the map. Ranges from very cheap to very expensive depending not only what Province you live in, but what city. I've had no trouble insuring this car in the other 2 provinces I've lived in.

Corey

Great news!

Got my car insured in QC, and at an incredible rate.

The Personal Insurance: Combined with my daily driver and my condo insurance, I'm paying $37 a month for full coverage with $500 deductible, and for just liability, I have the option of just paying 11$/month.

That is freakin' unreal.

So if anyone is looking to insure a RHD in quebec, look into The personal. For the full coverage they needed to see my appraisal.

I'm uber busy this year with work, but hope to have time to finally replace the suspension, its the last area of the car that hasn't been touched yet.

pintoBC_3sgte

Nice!!! Great to hear you got it insured!! Too busy this year for the ogopogo in August ??
Edit: haha just remembered you're in Quebec .... That would be quite the drive :p

Corey

Yea that would be quite the road trip. Already drove it from Alberta to here once. I'm probably going to be out of the country all of August anyway.

Corey

Went for a road trip last weekend to the crater in central QC.

image.php

image.php

1200km total including 200km of gravel. The car took quite a beating. I've been looking into rear brake and new suspension options recently.

I've decided to try an ST205 rear kit (hopefully new - will see what Amayama can pull off for me). In addition, I'm replacing the rear knuckles with non-abs versions (plus the included spherical bushings), and new hubs. As far as I can tell, ST185 rear hubs are discontinued! So that forced my hand into getting ST205 hubs, which will compliment the 205 brakes Im getting anyway, so hopefully it all works out.

For suspension, I'm looking at BC with a 6F / 5R kg/mm spring rate. Hopefully that will be enough to stop my tires from rubbing on dips and bumps, but not so stiff as to ruin the car.

Cheers

underscore

Looks like fun! What does BC spec on their coilovers by default? I can't remember offhand but I know I wanted to go stiffer and went 10k F/8k R and it's quite stiff.

Corey

I've been referencing your build thread because of the suspension you went with. What do you think of the BC's aside from the spring rate? Do they have the ability to stay at a factory ride height?

Default option for BC is 8/4. I've picked 6/5 ish based on the spring rates provided from a number of discontinued manufactures, TTE and OEM.

According to our site and the GT-Four RC Press Brief, 89-91 and RC had 3.1/2.9 spring rates. For some reason, they dropped the front spring rate down to ST165 stiffness for >91 standard ST185.

TRD Lowering Springs were 4/3.9

And I found a source that states TTE used 12.5 / 11.8 for Tarmac.

All of these options have the same Ratio of front to rear: ~1.05 So I'm going to stick with the same ratio.

underscore

From memory the highest the BC RAM's could be set was 1" below stock, I'm not sure about the other models. I believe this would be easily doable up front but difficult in the rear. Out of the box the fronts sat pretty close to where I have them now, but the rears were extremely short. Since they were so short I've had to adjust them a bunch just to get the rear to an acceptable ride height. On conventional coilovers this isn't too big of a deal, but with the inverted dampers this has the effect of pulling the adjustment knob so far up into the bottom sleeve that I can no longer reach it.

Corey

Hmm. I hope their standard coilovers dont have that issue. I've decided to go with a spring rate of 6/6 (-2 off the front, and +2 onto the rear) since I found discussions stating that the max you should deviate from the default is 2-4kg before re-valving.

CMS-GT4

Where are the spots where you rub? fender or liner? What is your tire size? Are the rears rolled? Expect 2-3 inches of travel from your set height even with those BC, so you can calculate how you might need to adjust things.

Corey

The fronts are rubbing on the 2 / 10 o'clock area of plastic fender liner (L/R respectively) near the metal lip. The tires are 225/45/17 and they are the lowest profile all season size I can find. My old tires were 205/50/16. Putting these new tires/wheels on my car has raised it nearly an inch! The rears aren't rolled, but I've only recently heard them rub with 2 passengers in the back.

I have a suspicion my struts are well on their way out, which may be contributing to the rubbing issues. My car has always had this issue, even on my old 14" wheels. When I removed 250 lbs off the nose of the car, the problem stopped except for extreme road dips at high speed, but has returned with these much larger 17" wheels.

I'm hoping that 6kg/6kg (double the current spring rate), will allow me to lower the car back down 1cm or so, while still eliminating the rubbing issue.

CMS-GT4

That 45 series profile is going to be part of your problem. You may have to look into different widths to find a better profile. Keep in mind my tires are 2" taller than stock and I have largely removed my rub. My last issue of rub is mostly caster related. I actually had to make new gender liners. I bought an extra set and used a plastic welder to widen them. This gives them a wider arch and cleared my tires. I only rub on one side now and that is due to my change in caster so I removed my liners till I have a solution for that.
The best thing you can do once your coilovers come in is put your stock strut on with no spring and have the car supported. Then you can raise that wheel and find all the contact areas. That might help you better plan your solution.

CMS-GT4

By going to a 235/40/17 you can reduce the height by over half an inch. In reality that will give you 1/4 inch more clearance