Just got myself a GT-Four, HALP!

awdanthony

Hey all, just picked up my new to me ST165 GT-Four imported from Japan. The car runs and drives great and I love it! BUT, it has a few issues. I think it needs new struts and top hats. I don't really want to modify the stock parts with inserts and ordering through the dealer, I can't return what I've bought. Can anyone give me a definite variation between the US All Trac and JDM GT-Four? Can I use US suspension, or should I just say screw it and get coilovers?

Anoo21

awdanthony":3j9qv7zd said:
Hey all, just picked up my new to me ST165 GT-Four imported from Japan. The car runs and drives great and I love it! BUT, it has a few issues. I think it needs new struts and top hats. I don't really want to modify the stock parts with inserts and ordering through the dealer, I can't return what I've bought. Can anyone give me a definite variation between the US All Trac and JDM GT-Four? Can I use US suspension, or should I just say screw it and get coilovers?
Are you in the states? how bad was it or where did you get it? Congrats and totally jealous haha. please let me know because i am really considering getting one so my 165 in the states can have a jdm friend :)

awdanthony

Yeah, I'm in Colorado. It's all emissions legal and I'll be getting plates tomorrow. I just want to get rid of the old clunky front struts for something new and better. A friend of mine in Kanagawa shipped it over and has a business doing so. They come in through Texas and it has a Texas title.

deecee

there is no difference for the strut tops and suspension. Just make sure you get st185 GT-Four or Alltrac parts, not the generic st182 Celica parts which are different.

awdanthony

The guy at the dealership wasn't very happy about me not being able to give him a VIN. I told him it was an import and he replied "That's the problem with imports." And hung up basically.

underscore

Just get a USDM VIN from someone on here and give that to them, or find a better dealer. Personally I order all my OEM stuff online from places like Lithia since my local dealer is garbage.

Anoo21

awdanthony":3krx7amg said:
Yeah, I'm in Colorado. It's all emissions legal and I'll be getting plates tomorrow. I just want to get rid of the old clunky front struts for something new and better. A friend of mine in Kanagawa shipped it over and has a business doing so. They come in through Texas and it has a Texas title.
I am in kansas, we might have to meet up sometime. hmm i might have to see if you can get ahold of him. I might be looking into it sometime, may i ask how much it cost you? Btw I do work at a toyota dealer so if you need something let me know.

awdanthony

Kansas, not too far away.
I bought the car through a friend, who bought it through my friend from Japan. I'd been eye-balling it since he bought it. Ended up paying 6800 for it. All stock, and a set of WRX wheels with brand new tires, which I'm going to sell because 17's are too big for this car. I've rustled up enough part numbers and information to get suspension going. KYB front inserts and rear struts, B&G lowering springs and a pair of new top hats for the front.

Anoo21

awdanthony":6rv0xozg said:
Kansas, not too far away.
I bought the car through a friend, who bought it through my friend from Japan. I'd been eye-balling it since he bought it. Ended up paying 6800 for it. All stock, and a set of WRX wheels with brand new tires, which I'm going to sell because 17's are too big for this car. I've rustled up enough part numbers and information to get suspension going. KYB front inserts and rear struts, B&G lowering springs and a pair of new top hats for the front.
That sounds like a good plan I got kybs on mine and ride pretty well. I got the Scion TC 17s on mine and they arent to bad. I would not go bigger for sure.

awdanthony

It came with Michelin X-ice tires on it, so I may throw the 17's on in the spring to see how it looks. They're something like a +45 offset so they shouldn't poke much.

yyonline

Struts are the same for US and Japanese market cars. Front struts are actually the same on all 4th gen Celicas, but the springs are different for the all-trac. Here are the part numbers:

Struts:
48520-20383 ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, FRONT LH
48510-20393 ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, FRONT RH
48540-20171 ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR LH
48530-20171 ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR RH

Mounts:
48609-20100 SUPPORT SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION
48257-32030 INSULATOR, REAR COIL SPRING, UPPER

Bad news, though. Everything except the rear mounts are discontinued and can't be purchased through Toyota.

awdanthony

I really appreciate all those numbers! I got some information and decided I'd just get GTS parts since they'd work.

yyonline

What GTS parts are you getting? Many, but not all front suspension parts are the same.

The rear suspension is specific to the all-trac/gt-four and does not interchange with the 2wd Celica.

awdanthony

Just strut inserts for the front and new front top hats. The rear seems okay for now. I'll probably just do coilovers some time in the spring.

yyonline

You should be good with those. I'd recommend KYB inserts and Monroe mounts. I've used those many times with good results. Never had much luck with KYB mounts. They always seem to fall apart on me prematurely.