Major Idling Issue. Does anyone have a clue?

Soobierunner

So short story is im having major idling issue. on start up it idles at 1500 to 1800 rpm, sometimes starts at 1200 then jumps up to 1500 or so. when i gas it it goes up but around 45 sec to 1 minute mark it shuts off. like it chokes out. it seems like maybe its running rich. Any clue? more about history leading up to this point below.

btw my car is an st185 with a 93 3sgte.

so i replaced a turbo manifold gasket, and after i put everything back. on first start up it had this idling issue. ive taken it to two different shops.
first one said it is maf (afm, flapper, whatever you call it) sensor, replaced the maf with a new one.
second shop said its the aic valve, i cleaned out. no problem from throttle. all the electrical to aicv and maf is fine, cleaned and repaired any damaged wiring.
i thought it was a vac leak, but no vac leak. anyone have a situation like this or might have a direction i can look.

because its at another shop now. and this guy seems like he is drawing straws on guess the problem. he thinks it can be the distributor. what do you guys think? could it do with the distributor. if so how? i am trying to wrap my head around how that can be. is he just messing with me? normally i do all my own work but this is something new to me.

thanks world.

quieter

even if you think it isn't a vac leak do the smoke test just to make sure. we have old cars and the joints and hoses tend to crack after all these years and the heat doesnt help either (turbo cars)

timek1m

I've already tried the smoke test. I keep on feeling like it's a vac leak but the smoke test says no. Tried all kinds of ways to make sure it wasn't a vac leak. At the point to replace everything with new hoses just to be more sure... that's just the desperation I'm feeling.
Well if there is anymore input feel free to post up. I'm just tossing ideas around to see someone might be able to find the problem.

bitter

Have you checked timing? Both with the light and physical timing(per bgb with cam covers off). I'm assuming there is no vacuum leak.

timek1m

I have not, but that is probably more possible than the distributor. I'll look into it tomorrow. Thanks.

So no one thinks it's the distributor.

The feels like it's choking out before it dies like fuel is almost cut off. Would that be possible and if so any leads?

Thanks for the input.

Aaron

I have an AE95 that had a low idle/stalling problem. I cleaned the iac valve and it was fine for a couple weeks, but then I started having high idle problems like you describe in your post. I would try changing out the iac with a new part and see if it helps.