Insanity-74s ST205 Rally Hybrid build

Insanity-74

I dont like to harp on about Bilt Hambre Deox C.......but by god its good stuff.

Before

235000 miles of crud and salt etc

and after 2 or so weeks in a bath of Bilt Hambre Deox C (and some minor wire brushing to help it along.

Insanity-74

Thank you kindly......

I was pretty amazed when I pulled that out of the rather toxic looking bucket of Deox C, a quick blast with a hose pipe and a rub down with a wire brush and hey presto 8) it's been painted now so will hopefully remain rust free for a long time to come. :D just have to wait for other parts to come back from the zinc platers and I can put it back together.

Next week should see some serious progress. Brakes on and complete, hand brake etc. dash should be back from the upholsterer. Paint the modified interior panels. Break up the GT parts car as I no longer need it then start on the bodywork which should keep me busy over winter in time for spraying next summer :)

underscore

I'm not sure if heat is an issue for our rear diffs, but I'm guessing cleaning all that buildup off of it will help with its longevity as well.

Insanity-74

Dash finally back and freshly alcantara'd

Rear suspensin fitted and the brakes sorted

Tank....dont know if i will fit the OEM tank guard or make some kind of defuser?

Hmmmmmmmmstill shiny and new :)

Insanity-74

We'll, in typical "me" fashion I am jot happy with the alcantara dash, I recon I could do a better job myself, so I have purchased some proper alcantara from Germany! some 3M contact adhesive and my mums sewing skills, I will procure a new dash and spend a few days at my folks house doing the job to my standards.

I have also managed to find some fake carbon fibre matting to make a new tank guard to replace the crappy standard one, it will also allow my to more easily fit some kind of defuser under the rear of the car.

I have a load of parts to send off to the zinc platers.....again.

With the news that I am expecting a daughter in the new year a large sum of my "engine" fund had magically disappeared and turned itself into baby clothes, furniture and general decorating tools. As a result I we be rebuilding my old 3sgte engine up which I am kind of pleased about, it's a good engine and I have high expectations of it.

I had the front wings from the GT media blasted, although one of them had a parking ding so I have ordered a new one from Toyota, the new wing will be media blasted and painted with the blue ultra tough primer before having the inside coating in stone guard to help keep rust at bay.

Work on the GT4 will then grind to a halt for a couple of weeks while I finish breaking the GT up, I need the driveway cleared so I can get the faff out of the garage. I have bought some wall mounted heaters which I need to install so that the garage will become a heated spray booth :) it also needs a clean and I will instal a new ceiling to help stop dirt falling on the new paint :)

So all in all loads to do but looking forward to it......nearing the final stages now, just the interior to finish, exterior to finish and an engine to build........a turbo to find, cooling system to make, expansion tank to make, radiator to design ....oh and an exhaust to build.......that reminds me, I need to learn to weld aluminium......anyone have any advise on doing this?

Insanity-74

Took a break from car stuff today to focus on my other passion, aircraft. (I went through university studying aeronautical engineering) On this occasion the mighty AVRO Vulcan bomber, a Cold War Bomber that has fighter like manoeuvrability.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tKF5KhiooBc

This is its final year displaying before it gets permanently grounded.

There is a famous quote by a visiting potential buyer in the 50s when the UK was marketing then Vulcan bomber to other countries.

After watching the Vulcan display the General looked visibly disappointed and remarked that "it was a bit slow for a fighter" :)

CMS-GT4

Congrats on the kid coming. Yeah, somehow they can vacuum money faster than race cars. I am curious how your alcantara dash comes out. I was thinking about getting some for the headliner.

Insanity-74

CMS-GT4":1g3pv2di said:
Congrats on the kid coming. Yeah, somehow they can vacuum money faster than race cars. I am curious how your alcantara dash comes out. I was thinking about getting some for the headliner.

I will let you know, I should be picking up the dash on Saturday, my new sewing machine has arrived 8) it's just a case of finding time and bribing my mum to help me :D

Insanity-74

Mr Alltrac":1zoh5tm0 said:
If you need tips on welding aluminum, send me a pm, I'll be glad to help out.

Thanks, that would be appreciated. :smokes: not sure if I will have a go myself or not, I would like to, but the cost of the welding sets puts me off a little at the moment.

Insanity-74

Well after a very shit few months i have finally set foot back in the garage. My dad was diagnosed with cancer in september, on 28th Oct i held his hand whilst he took his last breath and died. Needless to say that took the wind out of my sails a bit. But i have at last found the enthusiasm to crack on with the car build. Pictures in a few days as its just been rubbing down paintwork.

Anyway i just want to wish everyone a great christmas......and hopefully a much better new year for 2016.

Just read through the entire build thread thus far, and seeing this much care & attention to detail is nothing short of magnificent. I just wish we were able to get ST205s in the States...

Insanity-74

So, back into the garage again, this time to do a bit of bodywork checking. i knocked the passenger side rear quarter so after making it smooth i decided i had better check it for symmetry.

I splashed out on a 30cm profile gauge

not that expensive and well worth it.

First off i checked the drivers side,so i measured to get an exact location so i could replicate it on the other side.] and offered up the profile gauge

I then moved over to the same spot on the passenger side.

As you can see there was a bit of a difference, at least 1mm out.

So after alot of hammering (I found that a large rubber hammer was best) I managed to knock the wing back into shape.

Not perfect, still 0.002inch out but i can live with that, the primer might take some of that out :clap: :thumbsup:

I checked over a large portion of the car and the rear quarter panel was the only one that showed any difference. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just the rear panel to rub down now, then onto the front wings, doors, bumpers and rear wing.....will it ever end :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: