Project ST165-ST205 Swap

zaluss

Went to NW Toy Run. Drove the car the farthest I've ever taken her with the engine swap, which was scary as hell.

4ke2KmQl.jpg

Z5veV2ul.jpg

Congrats on the successful trip! The e-bay exhaust is a super sweet deal. I paid 275 for mine years ago and it came with a downpipe also! The fit and quality are pretty damn good even if it was twice as costly. I got the single tip "Motoria" one and I love the sound without the silencer. What turbo pressure are you running? I be your confidence level will go way up now after that trip!

GT4times2

Nice!! Congrats on finishing up with the swap. Looks good! Body is clean. Going Ebay only makes sense. $1500 for an exhaust system is crazy, especially in this day in age :crazy: .

Going custom 3" Mandrel Bent cost about mid $400s with muffler, locally. Bringing the muffler of your choice will cost even less. The Ebay piece is really nice for what you're getting. I may go that route myself on my gray ST165, when all is said and done. Do you have any rear shots to share?

Keep up the great work.

zaluss

CTechBlueDragon":2c8yt8bq said:
Congrats on the successful trip! The e-bay exhaust is a super sweet deal. I paid 275 for mine years ago and it came with a downpipe also! The fit and quality are pretty damn good even if it was twice as costly. I got the single tip "Motoria" one and I love the sound without the silencer. What turbo pressure are you running? I be your confidence level will go way up now after that trip!

12 psi for now until the clutch fully breaks in.

GT4times2":2c8yt8bq said:
Nice!! Congrats on finishing up with the swap. Looks good! Body is clean. Going Ebay only makes sense. $1500 for an exhaust system is crazy, especially in this day in age :crazy: .

Going custom 3" Mandrel Bent cost about mid $400s with muffler, locally. Bringing the muffler of your choice will cost even less. The Ebay piece is really nice for what you're getting. I may go that route myself on my gray ST165, when all is said and done. Do you have any rear shots to share?

Keep up the great work.

No rear shots yet. Sneak peak of my new wheels and mudflaps.

fAWIvrFh.jpg

zaluss

Redrkt01":11w8jygy said:
So did you ever use the suction valve trick I told you about for the AC comp?

I did not. I accidentally dropped the ST205 ac compressor, bending the pulley pretty bad. It was at that point I removed all of the AC components, installed an OEM Toyota pulley in its place with a shorter belt, and installed a larger heat exchanger. I made a note earlier in the thread somewhere about switching the suction valves should I ever need to revisit installing AC.

qs6B2gQh.jpg

zaluss

I had to snap some pics to insure my car with Hagerty. Agreed value of $15,000 for around $500/yr isn't too bad considering all the money I've poured into this (around $14,000 on my spreadsheet :eek: but a lot of that was maintenance). Got my policy approved today so I'm fairly happy with that. I don't want to be in a situation where some asshat nails me at an intersection or sitting at a light on something that is pretty much irreplaceable with nothing to show for it.

Sparco wheels and Rokblok mudflaps. I'm not 100% on the mudflap placement.

n5ApXVsh.jpg

ET4t2mzh.jpg

WjzhkpMh.jpg

rbBTRYdh.jpg

underscore

Beautiful setup! What kind of insurance coverage does that get you exactly? I pay double that to have full "daily driveable" insurance on my car and the insurance agency still thinks it's worth $500 (I'm gonna get it properly assessed like yours once it's done at the shop though).

zaluss

underscore":tkn5jx5o said:
Beautiful setup! What kind of insurance coverage does that get you exactly? I pay double that to have full "daily driveable" insurance on my car and the insurance agency still thinks it's worth $500 (I'm gonna get it properly assessed like yours once it's done at the shop though).

I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but Hagtery (and most insurance companies) usually have an 'agreed value' policy. Basically you said it costs x much to replace and they insure for that amount. Period. No appraisal or assessment needed at the level I asked for. I'm sure if you asked for a $100,000, you'd need to prove it somehow.

In order to qualify, I had to meet four requirements:

1) Provide pictures of said car (sides, rear, trunk, and engine bay).
2) Car must be garage kept.
3) Less than 5000 miles a year (You can increase this for more money up to a certain point).
4) No coverage during competition events (racing, autocross, etc)

Agreed value on a daily driven car is probably tough though.

GT4times2

underscore":p88qp0jb said:

If they charge you that much and say the car is worth $500, look elsewhere. That's crazy. Not daily driving a car helps lower the risk and costs. Most All Tracs are no longer daily driven.

Zaluss,

Will you race the car at all (with the insurance putting restrictions on what you can do)? If so, what forms of motorsports do you plan on participating in? The car is clean. Congrats on completing it in such short time. Definitely inspiring.

underscore

GT4times2":2yqnrizn said:
If they charge you that much and say the car is worth $500, look elsewhere. That's crazy. Not daily driving a car helps lower the risk and costs. Most All Tracs are no longer daily driven.

I'd like to, but there's only the one option here. Someone along the line screwed up and lumped the Alltracs in with GTS', and there's definitely no listing for my RC, so it gets a very low book value.

zaluss

GT4times2":37ke86mn said:
underscore":37ke86mn said:

Zaluss,

Will you race the car at all (with the insurance putting restrictions on what you can do)? If so, what forms of motorsports do you plan on participating in? The car is clean. Congrats on completing it in such short time. Definitely inspiring.

Thanks! Maybe. I haven't decided yet.

I noticed there was quite a bit of dirt coming from the rear of the car so I took a peak and saw a TON of dirt packed into the rear body kit. I cleaned it all off to discover that rust has taken the thin metal used to secure the kit to the car. It still seems secure but I probably won't be able to remove it without breaking it should I need to in the future. The metal pieces are naturally discontinued so I'll have to fabricate something in the future. While I was back there I discovered that the passenger side rear wheel bearing may need to be replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DFVi5lbrxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hafsokz2ztw

zaluss

Pulled the passenger hub off and discovered whoever was there before me crossthreaded and mushroomed the axle. As soon as I broke the nut loose, it was a struggle to get it off. What a mess. The hub is getting a fresh bearing and seal. The bushings look pretty good so I'll leave those alone for now (plus I really don't want to do the other side). Since I'm already under here, I decided to crack open the torsen diff to make sure everything looks good on the inside before I swap it out with the factory open diff. It was very gooey inside.

DcJvoToh.jpg

The hell...

HiJwA3zh.jpg

foPwytth.jpg

ojuuwmEh.jpg

p0lipS2h.jpg

6M3aDGah.jpg

IbhJbmEh.jpg

This bushing isn't looking too hot. Seems a bit leaky as well.

2wrD0Tzh.jpg

fiBYKbSh.jpg

zaluss

January 17th, 2016

ST205 torsen diff is prepped with new seals and Toyota red FIPG. BRD diff mount ordered so its time to drop the factory diff.

Dropping the diff was a bigger pain than I anticipated but it came off after about an hour of wrestling.

aXO9deoh.jpg

Cruddy factory differential.

Snxfniwh.jpg

Cracked open after draining. It had a bit less than a quart of fluid. Factory calls for 1.1 quarts.

6xCHyIbh.jpg

Factory open diff vs torsen LSD.

n8hmoW4h.jpg
6M3aDGah.jpg

ST165 vs ST205 diff cover.

xo3vDlSh.jpg
IbhJbmEh.jpg

zaluss

Long time no update. I've been driving the car on the weekends only for the past few months, ironing a few issues here and there.

Forgot to post the pictures of the diff installation in January.

ST205 Torsen diff installed. Not a terrible job. Also picked up a poly diff and replaced the factory rubber.

SYa82lRh.jpg

BRD poly mount installed.

3tJxAtah.jpg

Diff installed.

PIxf0Och.jpg

Now to yesterday.

I started overboosting and hitting 20-22 PSI then my CEL came on for fuel cut. I spent the whole day trying to figure out why until I found that the nipple cap on the wastegate to the turbo VSV blew off. Guess I forgot to secure it :laugh:

KxiGA0Fl.jpg

Other than that, here is how she sits for now. I'm about at the 400 mile mark since the swap to give you an idea of how much i've driven her. One or two shows in that time as well. At around 500 I'll be sending an oil analysis to Blackstone to see how the engine looks.

semRFGa.jpg

IcPOIDo.jpg

GT4times2

Looking good!! How do you like BRD products? Who's blue ST165 is in the background? Any more pics from the car meet/show?

zaluss

GT4times2":cobpplgk said:
Looking good!! How do you like BRD products? Who's blue ST165 is in the background? Any more pics from the car meet/show?

BRD is great.

I forget his name...Michael something. Not sure if he is on the forum.

I have some more pics but none of the other Alltracs. 3 ST165's (including mine) and 1 ST185.