WTA heat exchanger upgrade?

NoMan

Hello guys!
Im looking into upgrading my WTA setup now till summer and wanted to ask you guys for your opinions.

Found a heat exchanger thats supposedly a 4 pass one. I know thats really bad for flow, but its roughly twice as thick as the ST185 heat exchanger (51mm). I have tried to find specs on our oem WTA water pump but have not been able to find flow/pressure data about it.
Well if the 4 pass one would be a terrible idea, is it not possible to use a ATA dual pass IC as a heat exchanger? And mod it with some valves and such for easy air/water evacuation. It might not have as many cooling stacks but they have that same WWW mesh on the inside that they have on the outside, that should help with the heat dissipation?

I also wanted to check with you guys about voltage boosting our pumps, tried to search for that too but it doesnt seem to be a popular topic? Im thinking about 13,5v for a start to give it a bit more oomph.

Not so interested in the ST205 heat exchanger. Looking for better options if such exist, something good for a very hot summer days and around 400bhp.

Im not to knowledgeable about this flow/pressure thing with our pumps but i hope you can chip in with some ideas and or recomendations (ST205 IC is incoming) :)

underscore

I don't know much about the ideal flow rates for our cars but if you're trying to optimize the setup I'd suggest getting an intake air temp gauge (ideally with logging abilities) and possibly a temp gauge on the inlet/outlet from the 205 intercooler.

NoMan

underscore":2a9kh4yy said:
I don't know much about the ideal flow rates for our cars but if you're trying to optimize the setup I'd suggest getting an intake air temp gauge (ideally with logging abilities) and possibly a temp gauge on the inlet/outlet from the 205 intercooler.

Yea i actually have on on order right now, a dual IAT gauge with two open element sensors :D That will be interesting.
But i could use some input on the heat exchanger ideas, dont have enough money sadly to play around and change too much X)

celi703

I have the st205 wta setup and had it on during the summer and it does not get extremely hot. I wrapped it with heat resistant reflective tape which keeps it cooler than it normally would without it. Also have a mustang cobra pump and a gt500 heat exchanger. I had the ata setup and it would heat soak really bad in the summer time. The st205 with a proper pump and heat exchanger will definitely improve heat soak. During the winter the st205 wta stays cold all the time and never gets hot.

NoMan

celi703":938ymq31 said:
I have the st205 wta setup and had it on during the summer and it does not get extremely hot. I wrapped it with heat resistant reflective tape which keeps it cooler than it normally would without it. Also have a mustang cobra pump and a gt500 heat exchanger. I had the ata setup and it would heat soak really bad in the summer time. The st205 with a proper pump and heat exchanger will definitely improve heat soak. During the winter the st205 wta stays cold all the time and never gets hot.

Yea i allways lagg the IC (at least 1cm thick) to keep it from heatsoaking. I looked at the gt500 heat exchanger but i felt it was a bit... Small XD Like height wise. But my biggest problem with it is its price, costs a ton to get it to sweden.
Thats why i thought of using this dual pass ATA IC as a heat exchanger http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-DUA ... SwFGNWTEg3 . Ideas?
Or to try a 4 pass heat exchanger, but then int boils down to the pump if it can keep a good enough flow through the system. And there comes the over voltage into the picture, anyone upped the voltage on our oem pumps? Should give it a push in the right direction :D