New GT4 owner from Canada eh!

revybc

Hi All:
I just acquired a1990 gt4 here in Revelstoke BC. I teach auto shop at a highschool and a very generous family gave me the car. I'm still checking the car out but have no tach (gonna do the cap replacement) and my brakes are toast. Otherwise it is a very clean good running car. Going to have some work ahead of me to take on my bro in laws 13 WRX...

revybc

Thanks for the reply. I don't see a way to attach a pic.. i tried a link, not sure if it will work

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 885

pintoBC_3sgte

Nice! Hope your around in the summer. we have a weekend long celica meet in Vernon every August . Rent a chalet at silver star and do auto cross in town.

revybc

That would be awesome. Exactly what I want to do with it. I can't find brake parts though :( Do you know any sources for pads and rotors in Canada?

revybc

thanks for the replies guys. Its an early 185 so it has the 2pot 165 fronts. Do the US alltrac have those front brakes in the 90s? Or should I be asking for earlier 165 fronts?

ChrisD

You can just order the 88-89 celica turbo 4wd brakes, shouldn't be too hard to find. When I still had the stock brakes I changed to Porterfield R4S pads which helped the brake fade a bunch and not terribly pricey. Should be able to find them easily enough too.

And +1 hope you make it out to Vernon in August!

On Facebook? Name and we can add you to the event group so you don't miss out

88gt4DE

Welcome and nice find ! fyi 165 front brakes suck ... lol make sure you at least have 185 front brakes ...

TRDTurko

revybc":lwcr9np1 said:
That would be awesome. Exactly what I want to do with it. I can't find brake parts though :( Do you know any sources for pads and rotors in Canada?

Welcome! I bought my first Alltrac from BC. Fun drive through the mountains... not so fun all the way through the prairies to Winnipeg lol.

good news for you is the 185 single piston calipers bolt right on. I did it with my 165. highly recomend it. I got mine through rockauto.com. unfortunately the dollar sucks right now for exchange but parts are so cheep from there it still might be cheaper than buying in Canada. oh and if you plan to get really serious racing your car, get a moroso gated oil pan. sustained high Gs tend to cause oil starvation in these motors. So if you put any sticky tires on the car, get the pan too. I learned that the hard way with my first car.

TRDTurko

revybc":25bpfg1b said:
Thanks for the reply. I don't see a way to attach a pic.. i tried a link, not sure if it will work

the best way to add a pic is to have them uploaded to photobucket or something like that (even facebook). then use the "Img" button to add the image location

88gt4DE

Locker":1xwxr5kn said:
My 1990 had the 2 piston front calipers. It's a Canadian car

Must have been early in production so they used up the old stuff prior to changing to the newer better brakes. single piston 185 calipers with the bigger rotor ... a WORLD of difference ....

revybc

Thanks again for the replies. I would gladly swap out for the 185 brakes if I had the caliper brackets. I need to replace calipers pads and rotors anyway. Im not on facebook. Im interested in purchasing the brackets if they are available somwhere

TRDTurko

revybc":184oh64w said:
Thanks again for the replies. I would gladly swap out for the 185 brakes if I had the caliper brackets. I need to replace calipers pads and rotors anyway. Im not on facebook. Im interested in purchasing the brackets if they are available somwhere

I got those as well from rockauto.com. some calipers have the option to have the brackets included.

revybc

thanks, I'll call rock auto today. I'll post a pic of the caliper that came off, there was no inside pad. It was caliper on rotor. Dont see that too often.

TRDTurko

I always just order off their website. super easy to find everything with their setup and most parts have pics.