KAAZ Front/Center LSD combo. SERIOUS FEELER!!!

In our rally shop we did business with Samsonas. They will do it of we get enough units ordered. It's no different then evo. And the only reason evo is so inexpensive is the numbers they make and sell.

rallygarage":1syc4tz5 said:
In our rally shop we did business with Samsonas. They will do it of we get enough units ordered. It's no different then evo. And the only reason evo is so inexpensive is the numbers they make and sell.

How much is an Evo unit?? Maktrak used the same trans for us and Evo. The Celica's either had a diff bellhousing or just a BH apapter plate... the problem was the front diff ratio's available for the Maktrak dont match our rear diff ratio(2.929 if memory serves correct) and would require using their rear diff assembly(add $10k), have a custom ring and pinion made, or possibly swapping a Supra rear diff which has more ratio options but still requires loads of customization. My main concern aside from cost is serviceability... if I blow my trans at the track i'm screwed and down for how many weeks shipping it back and forth to whomever for repairs... it's a lot easier and hella cheaper to have a spare 185 or 205 box to use as a spare...

alltracman78

The front diff gear ratio [which is the final drive] is completely unrelated to the rear diff ring/pinion gear ratio.

The gear ratio on the front diff is the final drive. Power is then transferred to the ring/pinion gear in the transfer case; which lowers the drive speed so the driveshaft spins slower. Then the rear diff ring/pinion gear raises the drive speed back to the original speed in the transfer case, so the rear wheels spin as fast as the fronts.

The transfer case ring/pinion gear is what matches the rear diff ring/pinion gear, not the front diff.

alltracman78":22rnqh5b said:
The front diff gear ratio [which is the final drive] is completely unrelated to the rear diff ring/pinion gear ratio.

The gear ratio on the front diff is the final drive. Power is then transferred to the ring/pinion gear in the transfer case; which lowers the drive speed so the driveshaft spins slower. Then the rear diff ring/pinion gear raises the drive speed back to the original speed in the transfer case, so the rear wheels spin as fast as the fronts.

The transfer case ring/pinion gear is what matches the rear diff ring/pinion gear, not the front diff.

I only stated what I've read, heard from other GT4 owners, and what Maktrak also agreed with when we were in discussions about my options to avoid buying their rear diff assembly. The transfer appears to use a bevel gear and the center distributes power to the front and rear... Besides the front and rear ratio's would still need to be identical or the center diff would burn up front the front and rear spinning at different speeds. At least that's my understanding...

Attachments

• GT4 Gearbox.jpg
    GT4 Gearbox.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,978

Toyota1968

My understanding is that with maktrak you are replacing not just gearkit but entire gearbox and transfer gearing meaning ratios exiting to rear may well be different

Samsonas evo unit is better and cheaper then MakTrac. I think if we could get custom ring and pinion for rear that would be great. Eliminate install of evo diff and custom axles in rear in addition to front. There may have been a fitment problem with transfer case aganst subframe in front. MakTrak used his own diffs with evo trans when he built Milner's car as I am told. MakTrak made Evo to 3sgte adapter plate.

Still waiting on an answer from KAAZ. We were in contact yesterday through email and the US rep seems positive about the project based on his last conversation with their project manager. They also discussed possible revisions to improve upon the original design and once production starts it should take 3-4 months to complete. More news to come next week I've been told...

Happy New year!

"I was able to convince the project manager to revive this unit but he will now have to
negotiate and discuss about this project on their meeting next week.
Hopefully I will have a good answer for you and others by the end of next week.
All the managers have to agree to this in order for this project to come through.
Typical Japanese way of decision making. Takes time but once it comes through,
things will happen quick."

Things are moving along. Guess we'll see what happens next.

It's still under review as of two weeks ago. It was neither approved nor denied at the meeting I previously mentioned... I am getting restless though!

The KAAZ rep is apparently headed to Japan in a couple weeks and will be proposing our kit to the brass over there. The project has apparently been a topic of discussion at their regular meetings but hasn't received final approval. The intentions are good and we're hopeful of an approval from Japan since most of the projects that were lined up are moving along smoothly to completion.

On a personal note, the suspense is killing me! I'm expecting the worst so just give me an answer already.

Lets stay hopeful!

hazee

On similar news I fitted my newly refurbished original kaaz front LSD and have just come back from the car park where I've been trying to break it in by doing 30minutes of figures of 8

It very vicious and not road friendly .... Have a test at brands hatch UK on Friday will see if it holds up or blows up 8)