TRD front and center diffs

BADNEWS

ok so I've been doing some research and have came to the conclusion that Kaaz made the front/center lsd's for TRD. Here is some pictures of the TRD diffs taken apart:

Center lsd on the right. Center Viscous Coupling unit (aka vc) replaced with clutch pack front lsd on the left:
127401687.jpg

front diff looking at where the shafts that connect everything. Outer/Biggest diameter shaft transfers power from the center diff to the rear diff via transfer gears. The middle shaft takes power from the center diff lsd to the front diff lsd. And the inner/smallest shaft gives power out to the front left wheel from the front lsd:
127401703.jpg

vc carrier which is now the front diff carrier apart showing front diff housing:
127401728.jpg

127401734.jpg

front diff housing opened up showing discs and 4 spider, lower left in 2nd pic and middle of 3rd:
127401739.jpg

127401744.jpg

127401815.jpg

center diff opened up showing discs:
127401775.jpg

4 spider center diff:
127401778.jpg

127401784.jpg

127401780.jpg

127401789.jpg

127401861.jpg

Everything laid out. You can see there is like a bearing for the spider gears of the center diff to rotate, on the right shaft of the 3 in the first picture
127401830.jpg

127401837.jpg

127401848.jpg

127401878.jpg

So as you can see you would never be able to buy just a front or center lsd from TRD. They were all sold as one unit part#41035-ST010 for a price of 370,000 yen. Which would equal $4,655 right now. And this has been discontinued for years so the price may of even been higher now if it was still available.

Now look at these discs from the trd lsd's:
127401822.jpg

this was from a honda guy comparing lsd's.
Kaaz disc on the left next to a Os Giken disc on the right
d27e2d01.jpg

So I think Kaaz was the developer and producer of the TRD GT-4 front and center LSD's

athousandleaves

Not sure if any of you guys saw/remember this but that white Alltrac that showed up on eBay a while ago with the owner claiming it was a race car made by Toyota with upgraded diffs was covered with Kaaz decals. I think I tried researching if they had ever made anything fo our car and found they hadn't so I assumed he wasn't correct in his assumptions about the diffs.
Looks like it may hve had the TRD/Kaaz upgraded diffs after all.

athousandleaves

Can anyone recall what killed that TRD diff pictured above?
I feel like it was in a Russian car that got in a fight with a tow truck?

BADNEWS

aus jd 2703":372va3yf said:
least that diff shows how its done now we just need some one to re-manufacture it....

Goodluck. That is 2 diffs, One that needs 2 housings made for it (Front diff), and custom shafts made to transfer the power back and forth. To do something like this is a ton of money! I'm having a hard time generating interest for a front and center diff combo where the guy thinks he can do it for a far more reasonable price. I talked to him today to see if it is possible for just a front diff since it doesn't seem like people want the center upgraded. He is looking into our options.

Personally I have been looking into what EVO's are doing. They do a Helical (Quaife style) Front LSD that is in the transfer case. Just like how the TRD one is. Then a Helical (Quaife style) Center LSD which is in the main transmission. And run a clutch type Rear LSD.

So if we can get people on board for this, I can see what he thinks it'll cost. Should I even ask? I can tell you it'll be big $$$ but Pat (Alltrac101) and I are already in. We need like 2 or 3 more guys to make this happen.

klue

clutches take up to much space IMO leading to smaller, weaker sub components. I want some big as gears in there that go HIYAH when the kick in

CMS-GT4

For as expensive this is all getting, I still wonder the cost in adapting an evo gearbox and rear dif.

athousandleaves

CMS-GT4":2a0btx24 said:
For as expensive this is all getting, I still wonder the cost in adapting an evo gearbox and rear dif.

+1

Didn't the evos and ST205's both use the XTrac 532 6-Speed gearbox for rallye anyway? Are we the same bellhousing pattern?

And yeah, my car could do with a good ol' HIYAH!

BADNEWS

CMS-GT4":3iqelwk9 said:

I doubt that would be cheaper. Plus all the upgrades it needs to handle the power.

CMS-GT4

athousandleaves":62u27m7p said:
CMS-GT4":62u27m7p said:

+1

Didn't the evos and ST205's both use the XTrac 532 6-Speed gearbox for rallye anyway? Are we the same bellhousing pattern?

And yeah, my car could do with a good ol' HIYAH!

Needs an adapter plate I think, and possibly a custom clutch. Then there is the needed mounts and axle adapting. Plus, if I was to ever do this, I would upgrade the front system to handle the power. There are some places online that offer the parts. I think it would be in the 7k range to do.

CMS-GT4

It only has the benefit of also changing the car to a 6speed as well as repair parts and more aftermarket parts will continue to be available. I am sure it could be done for less, but I think realistically it would end up 7k when using new parts.

BADNEWS

underscore":ja6u6022 said:
In what world is 7k better than 2.5k?

I agree. Plus for the 7k range you could possible buy the 2 diffs. We'll see what the final price ends up being. And this dogbox:

http://www.franavehicles.com/dogTC.html

And big power EVO's convert their 6 speed to a 5 speed. The 6 speed is a weaker trans. True in the Nissan world too.

http://sheptrans.com/products/evo-4-9-transmission/evo-4-9-transmission-rebuild-street-strip/ It's in the options on the bottom

HKS only uses the 5 speed to upgrade too:
http://www.hkseurope.com/drivetrain/transmission.asp

CMS-GT4

Well forget the EVO transmission then. :p
I wish I had the budget right now for these LSDs. I will hopefully be back in the market next year. I was offered a TRD unit a while back, now I am wishing I got it then.

hazee

Trying to fit the LSD to my st205

But one of the B clutch plates is broken

I haven't got it to hand to measure as its at the builders

Has anyone got a spare from a broken one they will to ship??

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg