New member from NC

GT4times2

Damu":aht8mf5k said:
Again, whats up with these no title cars lol. He wont respond to my emails anyway. Not to mention its in Houston:(
Its got some decent parts tho.

Advice on many All Tracs you'll find. Many will be projects, and need some TLC. They're not as common as MR2s, which I'm sure you already know. So you'll have to travel for the right one. Can't be extremely picky, especially with the ST165s.

My advice for many who haven't owned one by now, is unless you're fully committed and realistic, these are the wrong cars for most. Takes a special breed of people to deal with these car. Gotta be patient and resourceful. MR2s are a breeze compared to All Tracs. (from sourcing one, to finding shops that will work on them. You have 3-4 shops nationwide that specialize in MR2s, but 0 for All Tracs. Even these shop mechanics/techs that know 3SGTE motors inside out silently cringe at the thought of working on an All Trac (versus an MR2). Trust me, I know. And I'm sure you'll find out sooner than later.

I agree, you take a look at the one, CSAlltrac sent. Clean example, although I dont' care to drive a RHD car that comes LHD.

Damu

GT4times2":1upqnw0g said:
Damu":1upqnw0g said:
Again, whats up with these no title cars lol. He wont respond to my emails anyway. Not to mention its in Houston:(
Its got some decent parts tho.

Advice on many All Tracs you'll find. Many will be projects, and need some TLC. They're not as common as MR2s, which I'm sure you already know. So you'll have to travel for the right one. Can't be extremely picky, especially with the ST165s.

My advice for many who haven't owned one by now, is unless you're fully committed and realistic, these are the wrong cars for most. Takes a special breed of people to deal with these car. Gotta be patient and resourceful. MR2s are a breeze compared to All Tracs. (from sourcing one, to finding shops that will work on them. You have 3-4 shops nationwide that specialize in MR2s, but 0 for All Tracs. Even these shop mechanics/techs that know 3SGTE motors inside out silently cringe at the thought of working on an All Trac (versus an MR2). Trust me, I know. And I'm sure you'll find out sooner than later.

I agree, you take a look at the one, CSAlltrac sent. Clean example, although I dont' care to drive a RHD car that comes LHD.

Im not worried about travel and repairs. Ive driven 15hrs for the right car and do just about all my own work short of machining. Im not that picky about projects but where details are sparsely provided, im not going to travel for hours on a hunch unless its super cheap or lots of good detailed pics are provided. I've owned and driven rhd cars too so it's not an issue but i just wont overpay for one unless it's tastefully modded, running superbly, titled and documented at the least.

Damu

As for y'all gen4 obsessed nuts, i will share my opinion on it because i have another sw20 with a gen3 swap and drove my friends swapped gen4 mr2. I definitely like my gen3 because i consider it to be the last "raw" production 3sgte imo. The fact that they put weaker rods and a smaller turbo on the gen4 completely ruins it for my tastes as far as my boost hungry appetite desires lol!
I think the gen4 is a great motor but is better suited to a heavier car(caldina, camry, rav4, cough cough..gt-four) and more urban driving where there's better gas qualty to really unlock that engines full potential in stock form. Sure its smooth with its higher cr, c.o.p and quick spooling ct15, but it surely puts a damper on what i enjoy about O.G. turbo cars...."The theatrics" which all lays in the anticipation a.k.a "lag", wham-bam power surge, whoosh, crackle and pop...all these things is what tickles all the right senses for me.
Modern technology is constantly trying to numb turbo cars to feel like NA cars and thats just wrong in my book! I dont want a turbo car that feels NA, fast or not!! Period!!! im old and stubborn to my roots and tastes haha otherwise id just buy NA.

rallyst185

Damu said:
"The theatrics" which all lays in the anticipation a.k.a "lag", wham-bam power surge, whoosh, crackle and pop...all these things is what tickles all the right senses for me.

Hells Yeah, I like your style.

GT4times2

Damu":xqd3tthe said:
Im not worried about travel and repairs. Ive driven 15hrs for the right car and do just about all my own work short of machining. Im not that picky about projects but where details are sparsely provided, im not going to travel for hours on a hunch unless its super cheap or lots of good detailed pics are provided. I've owned and driven rhd cars too so it's not an issue but i just wont overpay for one unless it's tastefully modded, running superbly, titled and documented at the least.

Points taken. He is cheap on the details and slow to reply. But seeing someone with the will and $$ to bring one back to life is nice. Sooner or later, I'll share my experiences with everyone about both powerplants. Since they're in 2 out of 3 of my All Tracs. Stay tuned.

Agreed on new technology watering down turbo feel (after driving a few AMG Twin Turbo cars,the feel is vastly different from say a Turbo Supra of the 90s, or a 300ZX TT). They just feel like big NA motors. Little to no lag, in those big 8s. Gobs of torque, but not as fun as the 90s cars.

But I'd beg to differ about the 4th gen. It's the latest of the 3SGTE platform, but not a "new" engine by any means.

Damu

GT4times2":38idfsgv said:
Points taken. He is cheap on the details and slow to reply. But seeing someone with the will and $$ to bring one back to life is nice. Sooner or later, I'll share my experiences with everyone about both powerplants. Since they're in 2 out of 3 of my All Tracs. Stay tuned.

Agreed on new technology watering down turbo feel (after driving a few AMG Twin Turbo cars,the feel is vastly different from say a Turbo Supra of the 90s, or a 300ZX TT). They just feel like big NA motors. Little to no lag, in those big 8s. Gobs of torque, but not as fun as the 90s cars.

But I'd beg to differ about the 4th gen. It's the latest of the 3SGTE platform, but not a "new" engine by any means.

Its hard to explain sometimes until you've driven it in stock trim. If you get the chance to drive a stock Caldina, you'll see what im talking about. Yes, its not a new engine and defitely is one of the most advanced of the 3S-generation but certainly felt soft(not to be confused with slow) compared to the 3rd gen.