running st205 rear diff on st185 possible?

wizzards581

somewhere on these forums is said to be a bolt on... meaning st185 axles, shaft all bolts up? what about the gearing? wil it be geared same as st185?

alltracman78

Actually ALL the gearing is in the front case.

The transfer case only steps it down to lower propeller shaft speed, and it is stepped back up at the rear diff.

Tazka

Sry for bringing up old thread.

Have anyone actually done this? Does it fit perfectly?
I could get st205 torsen. I just want to make sure it fits first...

i'm not sure i get it so bear with me cause i need to know.
IS THE ONLY difference between the 185 and 205 rear diff the torsen LSD in the 205 or the 205 has different gearing?
if u can answer that you may also be able to shed some light on whether or not the argument that torsen LSD's have been rumoured to be less predictable in corners than other types of LSD setups, is true. i am totally clueless when it comes to the rear diff but i was hoping if the torsens had issues if i could just buy a different LSD (clutch type or something) for the 185 rear diff and get better results than switching to the ST205 rear.

etantshi

In short:

st185 to st205 : Same "gearing"

Gearing is done in the transmission

Some st185 come with torsen

All st205 come with torsen

They are interchangeable.

No "issues" that I know off, fairly steady unless you are prone to getting wheels off the ground.

Nitro_Alltrac

Diff case is exacty the same. It is a straight bolt in.

As for the torsen being twitchy in corners, all I can say is I ran HARD to through the Tail of the Dragon with no problems. Personally, I think it actually helps me cornering speed through sweepers. There is a 270 degree turn up onto a bridge on my way to work. The first morning I hit it after putting the torsen in, I notice that something felt a little different. I was running about 10 mph faster that usual and the car felt like it was digging in some.

I don't see where it would be twitchier. It just sends more torque to the wheel that has more traction. Now with a Detriot Locking rear end, I can see where there could be some cornering issues.

Akihero

ok so i added the pic of the damage to the thread on my st205 diff i just got is the st185 cover the same as the 205 ? or is there a better fix for this thread issue ?

Attachments

• 12443409_10156594322790058_1452294850_o.jpg
    12443409_10156594322790058_1452294850_o.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,031

AwdGte

I'll take it off of your hands, what do you want for it?

Akihero":s0x1ysa4 said:
ok so i added the pic of the damage to the thread on my st205 diff i just got is the st185 cover the same as the 205 ? or is there a better fix for this thread issue ?